DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hmm thinking About a pair of 15's to test out IB, any idea if anyone has run them IB?
You want a Qts around 0.7 for IB (and high power handling). The SX10 is spot on but as you move up to the 12", its a bit high (but still workable). The SX15 isn't listed but the SL15 is. It's too high of a QTS and too low off power handling to work. That said, the SL editions are too high due to the 2ohm voice coils I guess.

Bottom line....specs on the SX15 are needed to know if they'll work. If they will, I'd buy a pair too to try. I've currently got four 18's for my IB setup in the basement and I'd like to try a pair of 15's in my other setup. Might even get four.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm down to buy a pair of 12" if they'll work for me. I'd only run a single one bridged off a fosgate T400-4. It's rated [email protected] bridged.

Based on the pictures I assume these are DVC subs. Are the ohms listed per voice coil?

I'm thinking the way to go is the SL but wire the voice coils in series? Not sure if that changes the subs power handling or not?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I'm down to buy a pair of 12" if they'll work for me. I'd only run a single one bridged off a fosgate T400-4. It's rated [email protected] bridged.

Based on the pictures I assume these are DVC subs. Are the ohms listed per voice coil?

I'm thinking the way to go is the SL but wire the voice coils in series? Not sure if that changes the subs power handling or not?

Thanks
D4's, 200 rms in a ported box would be plenty.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
You want a Qts around 0.7 for IB (and high power handling). The SX10 is spot on but as you move up to the 12", its a bit high (but still workable). The SX15 isn't listed but the SL15 is. It's too high of a QTS and too low off power handling to work. That said, the SL editions are too high due to the 2ohm voice coils I guess.

Bottom line....specs on the SX15 are needed to know if they'll work. If they will, I'd buy a pair too to try. I've currently got four 18's for my IB setup in the basement and I'd like to try a pair of 15's in my other setup. Might even get four.
You do not need and sometimes do not want a .7 Qts for IB. .45 and even lower is fine. You don't need high power handling because the sub will likely hit it's mechanical limit before it's thermal limit. It's not how much power you put into it that produces sound, it's how far the cone moves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
D4's, 200 rms in a ported box would be plenty.
Thanks for your reply. Sorry I don't really know the scene well so I'm not 100% sure what D4's are.

FWIW I have this box which is for a 12" speaker, sealed, 1 cu. ft. Single 12" Sealed Car Subwoofer 3/4" MDF Enclosure/Box 1.0 Cu Ft

So, do you mean the Pioneer D4 here? TS-W308D2|D4 - 12" Champion Series Subwoofers with 1400 Watts Max. Power | Pioneer Electronics USA

If so, okay but I have 1 question. Would the D2 be a better fit because with a pair of 2 ohm voice coils I can them in series to get the 4 ohms my amp needs right?

It looks like the D4 is a pair of 4 ohm voice coils so I could have 2 or 8 ohms and so isn't matched right?

Just trying to learn here while ending up with the right sub, not trying to be difficult.

Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
You do not need and sometimes do not want a .7 Qts for IB. .45 and even lower is fine. You don't need high power handling because the sub will likely hit it's mechanical limit before it's thermal limit. It's not how much power you put into it that produces sound, it's how far the cone moves.
low xmax =low mechanical power handling = low volume (i.e. why bother?)

·
Registered
135 Posts
^ Second that, looking at 3 SX12's, wondering about xmax and suggested box volume, both sealed and ported. Also, is that "600 watts based on customer experience" saying 600 Watts RMS each?

·
DIYMA Admin
543 Posts
^ Second that, looking at 3 SX12's, wondering about xmax and suggested box volume, both sealed and ported. Also, is that "600 watts based on customer experience" saying 600 Watts RMS each?
Each. I believe the company originally advertised them as 750 or 800 rms, hence the "based on customer experience" @ 600 rms note.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts