DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, been lurking on here for a while, learning ALOT. But one thing I was curious about, I'm in the process of getting my system together and I'm doing an iPad dash.. I never listen to the radio, (hate the commercials)

My question is, can I just buy a equalizer, such as a clarion esq 746 or something similar, and run the iPad to the aux input and be fine?

Or do I NEED a head unit, considering a eq just needs a power, ground, remote wire to the amps and rca's I don't see why I wouldn't be able to do that. I have a alpine HU laying around, but a equalizer is smaller, better looking and has more features for what I need it for, anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Ipod dost not have enough of headphone output level to deliver to the eq. That's why people get a headunit and hook it up through hu and than to the amps. You may give a try but I'm 99% sure it won't work. And if it does work your system won't be as loud as you want it to be. I have a ipod touch and when I hooked up to my 4 ch amp just to see. The signal was very low and volume was low as well.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

·
2,103 Posts
What about the AudioControl Three.2, take line out from the dock connector to the three.2 and it's a volume control and 3 band Eq. sounds like it would be perfect for what you're doing.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ipod dost not have enough of headphone output level to deliver to the eq. That's why people get a headunit and hook it up through hu and than to the amps. You may give a try but I'm 99% sure it won't work. And if it does work your system won't be as loud as you want it to be. I have a ipod touch and when I hooked up to my 4 ch amp just to see. The signal was very low and volume was low as well.

I disagree with this. and Quickaudi, you shouldn't use the headphone out to do this.

I don't see any problem with Line Out from Dock Connector --> processor input.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just found a source for the following:

Source
Highest
Voltage
Output

Ipod headphone jack
2.84 V

Ipod line out jack 2.94 V
Apple Universal Dock "Line Out" 2.01 V
Typical component CD player Line Out 5.76 V

As one example the MS-8 is DESIGNED to take a 2V input....so there you have it.

At the end of the day its all a matter of what preamp your processor has and what signal level or signal range it was designed to accommodate.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would use a cable like this

h t t p : / / store.apple.com/us/product/MC917ZM/A

(delete the spaces, I can't post links because I'm new....)

And plug it into the audio aux in on the back of the eq..

Wow, I'm impressed with all the feedback so quickly, thank you so much everyone I GREATLY appreciate it:)

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Sorry for the wrong info.
MS8 will work great for that application... but we don't know if he want's to spend that extra 500$ :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the wrong info.
MS8 will work great for that application... but we don't know if he want's to spend that extra 500$ :)
Definitely don't have the extra 5 bills to send, although thy ms8 is one incredible piece. Unfortunately I'm 17 and pay for all my equipment, by myself, and car, and insurance, and gas:( I spent all my money on my components, two amps and my 12"jl w7. Wouldn't a clarion esq 746 BASICALLY do the same thing as the ms8 in the sense of plugging the iPad in with that cable to the aux in on the eq?

·
2,103 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the dock connector audio out does not have a volume control, so you're not gonna be able to adjust the volume. that's why i suggested the AudioControl Three.2 and i would use the following cable

EDIT - i'm an idiot, didn't see the vol control on the Clarion unit, that'll work great!!!

If all my money wasnt gone due to materials for building the dash and buying the alpine mrp1000 and JL w7 I'd be able to buy the audio control:(

Oh well, my birthday is next week and Santa is coming to town soon:laugh:

But thanks man, I appreciate it:) I'm really excited to get everything installed. Still need to build some fiberglass door pods though

·
Registered
271 Posts
Soundman car audio has good info on iPad hookups. I run my iPad through a Pocket Dock then a JL Audio RLC for volume control to my miniDSPs. Lots of ways to skin a cat with this one. Good luck :).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Soundman car audio has good info on iPad hookups. I run my iPad through a Pocket Dock then a JL Audio RLC for volume control to my miniDSPs. Lots of ways to skin a cat with this one. Good luck :).
thanks:) I got my list all together and have everything I need, just need to swap the alpine HU for a the Clarion esq 746

any pics of your install? what car is it in?

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
This looks like it will do it as well, and it looks like you have set your mind on this unit....

Clarion EQS746 7-Band Car Equalizer
The EQS746 is a 7-band graphic equalizer used to make frequency adjustments from 50 Hz–16 kHz in seven frequency bands. The EQS746 can make adjustments to frequency peaks and dips caused by interior size, seat shape and material, or by other vehicle factors. Moreover, you can tune the level to boost or cut specific frequency points and create your own preferred sound. With the auxiliary input, you can equalize both the main audio source and another sound application such as a portable DVD player, TV tuner, or MP3 player. The 7-volt output level gives you a high signal-to-noise ratio to drive your audio system to full power with minimum noise. The subwoofer output feature a dedicated level control and a switchable 60 or 90 Hz low-pass crossover.

Also it has 7 volt rca output. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This looks like it will do it as well, and it looks like you have set your mind on this unit....

Clarion EQS746 7-Band Car Equalizer
The EQS746 is a 7-band graphic equalizer used to make frequency adjustments from 50 Hz–16 kHz in seven frequency bands. The EQS746 can make adjustments to frequency peaks and dips caused by interior size, seat shape and material, or by other vehicle factors. Moreover, you can tune the level to boost or cut specific frequency points and create your own preferred sound. With the auxiliary input, you can equalize both the main audio source and another sound application such as a portable DVD player, TV tuner, or MP3 player. The 7-volt output level gives you a high signal-to-noise ratio to drive your audio system to full power with minimum noise. The subwoofer output feature a dedicated level control and a switchable 60 or 90 Hz low-pass crossover.

Also it has 7 volt rca output. :)
The 7 volt RCA output was the selling point for me:)

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I had a feeling that's what you have been looking at ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts