DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
if there's a speaker with poor linear distortion but good harmonic distortion and you used eq to correct the response are any side effects in a active system
a guy at a shop once mentioned to me that in passive systems eq could cause phase change

or would a better compromise be to buy a driver with flatter response and more harmonic distortion to reduce the amount of eq to flatten the response

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
lets say theres a speaker with poor linear distortion but good harmonic distortion and would eq the response flat cause any side effects in a active system

or would it be better to use a speaker with average harmonic distortion but with a class leading frequency response
Punctuation is awesome!

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
There are different schools of thought, so to speak, on this. Some like the idea of significant EQ to flatten response and then you can optimize the drivers for power handling not necessarily FR (frequency response). While others tend to like to select a driver/enclosure close as possible to desired FR and minimize EQ. I like to do that, but it really depends on your install how far you get in a car sometimes you just can't do it. Minimizing EQ needs sure can ease tuning for the inexperienced or with lack of tuning equipment for both testing and EQ capability. Some like Patrick go all out and use small but very capable drivers with significant EQ and that really eases install and placement. Some advocate not using any driver at Fs. There are some very good threads on all the detail of this.

Check this page out see if you can wade through it. He seems to describe how poor FR (variations in Q) causes distortions, yet at the end he states a truth in that you need comprehensive EQ capability to address all the peaks/dips you will find. To simplify that would mean to me you pick smooth drivers or invest in a 31 band at minimum. On the other hand he somewhat discounts focusing on the importance of this particular type of distortion alone, but in essence he is talking about Fr anyway.

IMHO I have no doubt you need significant EQ power for great SQ in a car so it depends on what you are doing. I am not going to invest in the equipment and time to do detailed tuning in my daily driver, a show car sure I would. So for me I'd rather do more install work to use better FR drivers and use more common limited EQ capable equipment that keeps it more simple, economical, and less problems overall. I can still be involved in the system design because I am capable of install, I can still buy a huge EQ and put it in if I want. On the other hand if you have install limitations in driver size/placement/etc, you will have little choice but to use more EQ. You can work on the install to do some things, but that is ignoring all the issues in the car environment such as reflections (though EQ can't always deal with some of these issues).

I put IB 15s in my car because in part they play pretty flat to under 30Hz with no EQ. They also fit requirements of maximum trunk space and this car I could do IB. These things are great to live with compared to the quad 12s IB in there previous that needed significant EQ and xover to play a similar FR. But how many people can fit a sub setup that does that? A large ported could, only a special sealed could though some cars may have the cabin gain to make it so while this car was weak on the bottom using various boxes I tried. If I messed any of this post up I'm sure I can count on you guys to correct me lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts