DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I spent a about an hour to hour and a half setting the EQ in my Aztek. My test equipment consists of a Behringer ECM8000 microphone, M Audio Mobile Pre USB, Tru RTA Lvl 4 and a laptop. The sound system consists of a JL 1000/1 low passed at around 65 hZ and a JL 450/4 high passed at 75 hz. The speakers are Boston pro 60 SE. These are bi-amped with the tweets at 75 x 2 and the mids at 150 x 2. The Bostons are with their respective crossovers. Currently the only proccesor is an Audio Control EQL going only to the JL 450/4. The head unit is an Alpine 9886. My main goal for the system as a whole is sound quality.

When I started the EQ process I wanted to try and get as much as I could flat within a 10 db band. Looking at the response curve between 127 hz and 10 khz is basically within a 10 db band (between 70 and 80). I'm not really concerned about the subs right now but as you can see from 80 down they shoot way high. Since the subs are un-equalized the only way to flatten them out is to turn them down to zero on the head unit and then you cant hear any bass at all. That seems kinda weird. Has anyone else experienced that? I am curious as to how much of the laptop fan sound effects things.

The mid range from 800 hz on down has a trend upward. The tweets from 2khz to 10 khz looks pretty good but then they take a nose dive from there. Will changing the crossover point between the sub and mid improve things in that area. Is it possible to get things flat with 5 db or is 10 pretty good. Anyway give me your opinions or suggestions on my current response curve whether they be good or bad.

I was thinking about getting the Audio Control DQXS for it's 1/3 octave EQ and crossover abilities. Would this be a good investment.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You don't need your subs to be flat with the rest of the graph.

Andy W. has this to say about the target curve you should be EQing for:

For a Target curve, I suggest:
+6 to 9dB from 20-60Hz, a smooth transition from 60-160, flat (0dB) from 160 to about 1kHz or so and a slight downward tilt above that. The tilt is a matter of personal preference and can be adjusted however you like.

So looks like you did a pretty good job.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Today I spent a about an hour to hour and a half setting the EQ in my Aztek. My test equipment consists of a Behringer ECM8000 microphone, M Audio Mobile Pre USB, Tru RTA Lvl 4 and a laptop. The sound system consists of a JL 1000/1 low passed at around 65 hZ and a JL 450/4 high passed at 75 hz. The speakers are Boston pro 60 SE. These are bi-amped with the tweets at 75 x 2 and the mids at 150 x 2. The Bostons are with their respective crossovers. Currently the only proccesor is an Audio Control EQL going only to the JL 450/4. The head unit is an Alpine 9886. My main goal for the system as a whole is sound quality.

When I started the EQ process I wanted to try and get as much as I could flat within a 10 db band. Looking at the response curve between 127 hz and 10 khz is basically within a 10 db band (between 70 and 80). I'm not really concerned about the subs right now but as you can see from 80 down they shoot way high. Since the subs are un-equalized the only way to flatten them out is to turn them down to zero on the head unit and then you cant hear any bass at all. That seems kinda weird. Has anyone else experienced that? I am curious as to how much of the laptop fan sound effects things.

The mid range from 800 hz on down has a trend upward. The tweets from 2khz to 10 khz looks pretty good but then they take a nose dive from there. Will changing the crossover point between the sub and mid improve things in that area. Is it possible to get things flat with 5 db or is 10 pretty good. Anyway give me your opinions or suggestions on my current response curve whether they be good or bad.

I was thinking about getting the Audio Control DQXS for it's 1/3 octave EQ and crossover abilities. Would this be a good investment.
If memory serves me correctly, the human ear is least sensitive to what we consider sub bass, so that extra boost down low just to "sound" level isn't really that abnormal.

·
Registered
733 Posts
welcome to "cabin gain" basically a 12db per octave increase in bass response below the effective maximum wavelength contained in your car.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
welcome to "cabin gain" basically a 12db per octave increase in bass response below the effective maximum wavelength contained in your car.
I think everyone knows why there is a boost in the low end, in a vehicle. He was concerned about why he needs that boost to get his desired output down low.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If only you could use equalization to change the shape of the VEHICLE... ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts