DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Charger SXT
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I just got the car back yesterday after a week at the car audio shop. I will put up pictures in a couple of days, but I don't have the car right now because I am having my mechanic put in my new Mechman 240 amp alternator. So here is the good and the bad.

The Good: The clarity and detail I am hearing in the music is incredible. I was picking stuff out on the music I listen to that I never noticed before. For example, when I put in Septicflesh's album "The Great Mass", I am hearing detail on the orchestra and choir that I have not heard in my car before. For the horns being under the dash, they don't sound like it. It sounds like the band is playing right in front of me at ear level. Now I understand why so many SQ folks love horns. I can crank up the horns all the way up and they don't distort. As far as the MB8...I LOVE IT!!! I am so impressed with it that I will NEVER use 6.5" midbass speakers ever again. Like the horns, I can crank it up all the way with no distortion whatsoever. Overall, this is the best sounding system I can ever recall having. It is almost perfect except for 2 things... otherwise, I am very happy with the quality, detail and imaging of the HCLD and MB8.

The Bad: IT IS NOT LOUD ENOUGH. I thought the horns and midbasses were supposed to be incredibly loud but they are not. My Alpine's volume goes up to 35 and I have it set almost at 35. I need way more volume than what I'm getting because although I am truly impressed by the quality, detail, and staging of the components, the volume is weak. Second, the HCLDs were a ***** to install and they do take up a lot of space. I will eventually post pictures when I get my car back but it was very difficult to get them to fit them under the dash, especially the driver's side due to the emergency brake, hood release lever, and OBD port.

The Verdict: I am taking the car to another stereo shop way closer to me (I'm not driving 73 miles again for this) to have them tune the system again and see if they can get it louder. The place I took it to was not an authorized Audison dealer so I will be taking it to a place I found on the Audison website that is an authorized Audison dealer. I will see if retuning it helps so I'll keep everyone up to date on whether the retuning helped. If it doesn't and I still don't have volume, then I'm right back to the drawing board.

So the ultimate verdict is that this is the most detailed, cleanest front stage I have ever had since I got into car audio in 1990. If I can get the volume way the hell up, then I'm a happy camper. I hope the retuning helps alot because I am almost there. I will add the subs later after I have taken care of the front stage volume issue.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have you actually measured the SPL? Having dealt with horns and high efficiency pro audio drivers in a home audio setting for a number of years now, I'm wondering if it is in fact playing very loud, but you are just not used to having little to no distortion at that level, meaning it sounds quieter to you relative to other setups you've had with higher distortion at high listening volumes?

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Charger SXT
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you actually measured the SPL? Having dealt with horns and high efficiency pro audio drivers in a home audio setting for a number of years now, I'm wondering if it is in fact playing very loud, but you are just not used to having little to no distortion at that level, meaning it sounds quieter to you relative to other setups you've had with higher distortion at high listening volumes?
I haven't measured the SPL but I think this is something I will need to do. I do have to admit, I'm not used to listening to a system with such low distortion but I really expected more volume. I'll see if I can get the SPL checked to see how loud it really is.

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Charger SXT
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree.

it might be louder than you think.

But if it doesn’t have any output, then it’s turning and setup.
It does have output but I'm just surprised it is not louder. I'll probably get the SPL checked out when I get it retuned again.

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Charger SXT
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, I cannot believe how much shops here in Southern California charge for tuning!! I have been contacted by 3 different shops and they want $125 an hour and that it could take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. They have told me they need to check the polarity, phasing, gains, etc. I guess I have no choice, I want my front stage to kick ass before I begin the trunk build and subwoofer box. I'll keep everyone in the loop to see if there was a big difference by getting it retuned. My thinking is that the shop I took it to doesn't sell or use Audison so maybe taking it to an authorized Audison dealer will improve the tuning since they are familiar with using it. If I can just get the volume up, then I will be 100% satisfied and then I can move on...I feel like I'm so close...

·
Premium Member
11,410 Posts
How far away are you from Eric?

If I were close, I would see what he could do for you.

I was on Team ID in the early/mid 2000s and he tuned my car a few times...always great stuff. I mess the shows and seeing him. It’s been nearly 15 years since I’ve last seen him.

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Charger SXT
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How far away are you from Eric?

If I were close, I would see what he could do for you.

I was on Team ID in the early/mid 2000s and he tuned my car a few times...always great stuff. I mess the shows and seeing him. It’s been nearly 15 years since I’ve last seen him.
I'm not sure...when I met him it was around 25 to 30 minutes away from me with no traffic. I think at this point, I may go to Newport Sound to see what they think. Once I pickup my car tomorrow (installing Mechman alt), I will keep evaluating it but I'll probably go down there on Monday or Tuesday to see if a retune is necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts