DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Thanks for the video but I think it could have been 5 min shorter if it wasn’t for that knife. That has got to be the dullest razor knife ever. Next time you are at HD, pick up a Milwaukee folding razor knife. Bonus it strips wire. ;)

Owning a Klippel. So incredibly cool.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Man, tough crowd here (regarding the dull utility knife!). :) I saw a similar comment on the "other" forum.

You do have to be careful when opening stuff - so that you don't cut the actual product inside the package while trying to open the package.

I'm going to say that Erin was just using an "abundance of caution" (my new catch-phrase as a result of all of the COVID-19 coverage) - and just assume that he was just being careful not to damage any of the package contents and that it wasn't really a dull blade. :)

Oh yeah - and the equipment looks awesome! I can tell that Erin is like a kid in a candy store right now!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks for sharing Erin, it must have felt like Christmas came early as you were unboxing all of that Klippel sweetness!

Also... Rosie is adorable!!!!

·
18,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Man, tough crowd here (regarding the dull utility knife!). :) I saw a similar comment on the "other" forum.

You do have to be careful when opening stuff - so that you don't cut the actual product inside the package while trying to open the package.

I'm going to say that Erin was just using an "abundance of caution" (my new catch-phrase as a result of all of the COVID-19 coverage) - and just assume that he was just being careful not to damage any of the package contents and that it wasn't really a dull blade. :)
Indeed. You'll even notice I said specifically that I didn't want to cut too deep since I didn't know what was inside one of the packages:

·
18,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #87

For as long as I can remember, I've joked that I have "Music A.D.D." because I can only get through a few seconds of a song before feeling the urge to go to the next one; no matter how much I like it.

Today I made it in to a fun t-shirt design and posted it to my Spreadshirt store. If any of you folks have the "skipping songs within 10 seconds" affliction and want join me in wearing it proudly (pun intended) please use the link below and pick what you want. Plus, I get a few bucks off each shirt's sale which I can use to help pay for review-related stuff.

... and, no, not mothers against drunk driving. Hopefully the MTV logo made that distinction. :p

·
18,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Just an update...

I purchased a mic stand over a month ago. After 2 shipping issues, I finally got the 3rd one and it was good to go. I also ordered some speaker stands and planned to use one for speaker testing. But after doing some testing I realized that was a no go. The stand was a bit shaky at above 6 feet. Plus, I wanted something a bit easier for takedown and set up. So I cannibalized my basketball goal (I need a new one anyway
). I buried the pole about 2 feet in the ground and rigged up a platform from HDPE and Plywood (to be sealed soon). The platform can also be swapped out to accommodate larger speakers (floorstanders laid on their side to capture vertical response). The pole is very sturdy and can be removed from the ground and placed in my storage area between tests.

The speaker stand is now at 8.5 feet off the ground and 9 feet away from the patio cover. Nearly everything I test will be reflection free to 9 feet. Which puts the first reflection at about 12 ms; or about 80hz. Doubling that means good resolution above 160hz. That’s good. Real good. More than adequate when you consider I will be using a ground-plane measurement for LF response and "stitch" that to the FF measurement. As for external noise; I live in out in the country. So it's mostly quiet. The software/hardware is smart enough to ignore most noises and multiple sweeps will help keep them from sneaking in to my measurements. IOW, I don't have any concerns here.

I tested hoisting up a 50# bag of sand. That wasn't easy. But was do-able. I'm gonna need a crane, though, if I ever test a floorstander that has significant weight to it. But I'll burn that bridge when I get there. :eek: :D

Here's a few pictures with my 6 foot ladder and myself as a reference.

The last picture is of the mic stand. This sucker is a beast. Can be stood to almost 8 feet tall and the mic can reach higher when the boom is angled.
Here's a link if anyone is wanting to see more info.

·
18,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
FINALLY!!!!! I have finally completed my review of the Buchardt S400. I have spent countless hours... literally months worth of working through test methods and configurations, writing MATLAB scripts to post-process the data... it's been crazy. But now I have something to show for it.

Buchardt Audio S400 Bookshelf Speaker Review

One thing I have done differently from what I've seen is my polar spectrograms. We typically see spectrograms for a speaker "linearized" in to a rectangular shape. I was thinking, it would be neat to actually represent the data the way it comes from the speaker; in a 360° manner. Or occasionally we will see a polar plot with a single line representing a frequency, maybe with a few lines to represent multiple frequencies overlaid. But nothing that is really intuitive. So, I created these new polar plots for horizontal and vertical spl mapping of the speaker's radiation pattern both vertically and horizontally. Two versions of each. One is absolute output and the other is relative to the 0 degree axis. Not sure if anyone here will appreciate it as much as I am proud of it. And I'm sure someone will have something to say about how they prefer a different color or whatever... but dangit, I'm proud and I'm leaving it as is because it looks good to me. I think it's a better way of viewing the data. Some may not prefer it. But that's why I've offered the standard versions as well. Anyway, make sure to use the legend in the top left to get your bearings on the speaker direction relative to the radiation pattern.

I plan to make a video review but that's gonna be a bit. For now, this written review will have to do.

I hope you guys get as much out of this as I have put in to it. I need a friggin' break now...

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
For as long as I can remember, I've joked that I have "Music A.D.D." because I can only get through a few seconds of a song before feeling the urge to go to the next one; no matter how much I like it.

Today I made it in to a fun t-shirt design
I'm exactly the same with songs, if it's one I like, my brain tells me maybe the next one will be better and so I skip it. Then skip another and another and end up not actually listening to anything. I'll have to pick up a shirt, although I can't find the link.

·
18,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I'm exactly the same with songs, if it's one I like, my brain tells me maybe the next one will be better and so I skip it. Then skip another and another and end up not actually listening to anything. I'll have to pick up a shirt, although I can't find the link.
Yea, I see it's no longer there. I'll have to see why. Guessing the logo being the MTV knock-off got it taken down. But no big deal.

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Yea, I see it's no longer there. I'll have to see why. Guessing the logo being the MTV knock-off got it taken down. But no big deal.
Ah well, At least nice to know I'm not the only one who struggles to actually listen to an entire song.

·
18,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Erin,
Can you say a few words as to how you come to select the SPL that you used for the music you played?
I think there is some general value in understanding that.
You mean why I chose the volume range I listen to? It’s just my typical listening volume.

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
You mean why I chose the volume range I listen to? It’s just my typical listening volume.
Yeah, but more in the context of loudness... maybe even qualitatively how loud is it?
The numbers you posted jumped out at me... I thought, "yeah, I know what that is."
(In the Haus-Boss's car I am usually ~85-90, which is loud enough and it sounds bad after 90 dB anyhow)

There seems to be a lot of thought that people need systems that play at 105-110dB... but you numbers struck me very typical of what many people that listen critically use for an SPL.

Maybe a better question I should have asked is, "do often listen at higher SPL? And if so then how high is that?

Reactions: ErinH

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
My (nerdy) feedback on your evaluation of these speakers.

I really liked the Forward - you may think about this as something you offer for all of your speaker write ups…..it is something I have struggled with as I’ve read the multiple posts on AV Forum and DIYMA…..the ‘show me the measurements’ crowd vs the ‘use your ears’ crowd. This was very useful for me as I prepare to evaluate what you wrote about the product.

I really like the pictures as well - great way to see the product - especially with the spinning view. If you do additional bookshelf speakers, it may be useful to have a stand - to show relative size / aesthetic on a stand, but may not be worth the investment.

I have always loved your way of writing - comfortable and smart - excellent way of communicating technical information but keeping the interest of the reader. Hard decision - write it so a 15 yr old person could understand everything or write it so only a ‘Floyd Toole’ could understand it - you have struck a very good center point that was very helpful for me - a non-technical, but very interested reader.

Excellent explanation of the graphs, etc. Being non-technical, a little on normalization may have been helpful, but likely not needed for most who read this. Of course, I really enjoyed the subjective portion - list of songs, notes prior to the measurements, and then correlation of what you heard to the objective data. Added bonus….was the Dirac part - one of the things I have thought about, but I haven’t made up my mind…….am I a purist who wants my single 1st order crossover 2-way bookshelf…..or do I want a tool to ‘fix’ issues with the room without the use of a tremendous amount of treatments. It was helpful as well to show that some EQ can enhance the overall experience without being detrimental to your goals.

I also thought it was the perfect length…..there is a lot of substance - with good links to more info if the reader wants / needs it - something to explore upon a 2nd / 3rd reading, but one can get through the entire write up in one sitting. Great job my friend! I have a better understanding of the method, the product, and what I could expect to experience if I purchased a pair of these speakers.

·
18,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I ordered this speaker last week in hopes that it would be a diamond in the rough and that if it were, people might be interested enough to buy it through my Amazon affiliate link and I could use that money to get some real cool speakers to test. Well, that isn't gonna happen. You can read my review in the link below:
Jamo Audio S807 Floorstanding Speaker Review

Some highlights (or lowlights, really):

·
Registered
18,466 Posts
Bayboy is going to find you and take you down for this one..

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: rton20s
81 - 100 of 126 Posts