DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
18,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Bayboy is going to find you and take you down for this one..

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
LOL. He won't be the only one. I saw other reviewers giving these 4/5 stars. I question anyone's hearing who would recommend these speakers. My ears told me they were terrible. My measurements (made after listening) confirmed it. :D

·
18,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I've been busy. Posted a few video reviews of loudspeakers to my YT channel which you can watch if you're interested.

But I know no one here seems to care about loudspeakers... everyone wants to know how far they can push a 3.5 inch midrange. Right? ;)

A forum member here is sending me a set of the AD W800NEO to test as well. So don't worry, I am still testing drivers. I've just been focusing more on loudspeakers because that's where my real interest lies. Since the W800NEO has received a lot of praise lately and the owner was nice enough to offer, I thought it worthwhile to see how the performance actually stacks up.

And in other news, Klippel released their new build along with some updated modules overnight. I am now using their latest Multitone Distortion module (MTON) with In-Situ Room Compensation (ISC) module to get true distortion performance in the farfield. Why is this special? Because measuring in the nearfield reduces noisefloor (reflections, mainly) but it isn't far enough to get the true speaker summation of a multi-way speaker. Meaning, in the nearfield you are biased toward one speaker or another. It's an OK way to get performance but it's not as accurate as gathering the data in the farfield.

With MTON I am able to use an IEC or CEA-2010 standard to determine the maximum SPL It takes some time to set this up but having the ability to provide a real actual max SPL based on a real standard (rather than a method that everyone disagrees with and is not accepted) is worth it in the end. Here's some discussion on one standard: https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/klippel/Files/News/Electrical and Mechanical Measurements of Loudspeakers and Sound System Equipment.pdf

There are short signal max SPL versions as well as long-term max SPL (my favorite). There are, naturally, some caveats to the testing. Such as little bookshelf speakers are being sent 20-20kHz signal but I can alter that. I am currently re-running a test on the Neumi BS5 with an 80-20kHz signal and it's (obviously) able to take more voltage before it hits the max long-term SPL than it can with a 20-20k signal. So, I may wind up performing a dual-test in these cases. But we will see.

Either way, it took some time for Klippel to deliver the latest update but I am on top of it and already getting some excellent information from the modules.

I just made this short video to give you an idea of what these modules allow me to do.

First... Turn down your volume! I play a multitone signal twice in this video and it’s gonna be pretty loud.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I've been busy. Posted a few video reviews of loudspeakers to my YT channel which you can watch if you're interested.

But I know no one here seems to care about loudspeakers... everyone wants to know how far they can push a 3.5 inch midrange. Right? ;)

A forum member here is sending me a set of the AD W800NEO to test as well. So don't worry, I am still testing drivers. I've just been focusing more on loudspeakers because that's where my real interest lies. Since the W800NEO has received a lot of praise lately and the owner was nice enough to offer, I thought it worthwhile to see how the performance actually stacks up.

And in other news, Klippel released their new build along with some updated modules overnight. I am now using their latest Multitone Distortion module (MTON) with In-Situ Room Compensation (ISC) module to get true distortion performance in the farfield. Why is this special? Because measuring in the nearfield reduces noisefloor (reflections, mainly) but it isn't far enough to get the true speaker summation of a multi-way speaker. Meaning, in the nearfield you are biased toward one speaker or another. It's an OK way to get performance but it's not as accurate as gathering the data in the farfield.

With MTON I am able to use an IEC or CEA-2010 standard to determine the maximum SPL It takes some time to set this up but having the ability to provide a real actual max SPL based on a real standard (rather than a method that everyone disagrees with and is not accepted) is worth it in the end. Here's some discussion on one standard: https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/klippel/Files/News/Electrical and Mechanical Measurements of Loudspeakers and Sound System Equipment.pdf

There are short signal max SPL versions as well as long-term max SPL (my favorite). There are, naturally, some caveats to the testing. Such as little bookshelf speakers are being sent 20-20kHz signal but I can alter that. I am currently re-running a test on the Neumi BS5 with an 80-20kHz signal and it's (obviously) able to take more voltage before it hits the max long-term SPL than it can with a 20-20k signal. So, I may wind up performing a dual-test in these cases. But we will see.

Either way, it took some time for Klippel to deliver the latest update but I am on top of it and already getting some excellent information from the modules.

I just made this short video to give you an idea of what these modules allow me to do.

First... Turn down your volume! I play a multitone signal twice in this video and it’s gonna be pretty loud.

Awesome! I am really wondering about the linear Xmax on that W800Neo, and I know I'm not the only one. That's quite an expensive pair of 8's if it doesn't measure up to the manufacturer's claims (19 mm Xmax), but if it does measure up, maybe it's worth the price.

·
Premium Member
9,176 Posts
Awesome! I am really wondering about the linear Xmax on that W800Neo, and I know I'm not the only one. That's quite an expensive pair of 8's if it doesn't measure up to the manufacturer's claims (19 mm Xmax), but if it does measure up, maybe it's worth the price.
I haven't looked in a while, but I am almost 100% certain it is physically impossible for the W800 Neo to have 19mm of one way Xmax. Certain enough that I would be willing to place a significant wager with anyone who thinks otherwise.

Looking at the drivers and the spec sheet, I wouldn't be surprised if that 19mm figure was a 2-way number (9.5mm of Xmax is still at the top of top tier performance). It might even be a 2-way Xmech number, considering how shallow the driver is. I'm certainly looking forward to Erin's test so we can find out.

Regardless, based on my own listening experience, the W800Neos are excellent drivers. Even if the Italians do get a little funny with their spec sheets.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I haven't looked in a while, but I am almost 100% certain it is physically impossible for the W800 Neo to have 19mm of one way Xmax. Certain enough that I would be willing to place a significant wager with anyone who thinks otherwise.

Looking at the drivers and the spec sheet, I wouldn't be surprised if that 19mm figure was a 2-way number (9.5mm of Xmax is still at the top of top tier performance). It might even be a 2-way Xmech number, considering how shallow the driver is. I'm certainly looking forward to Erin's test so we can find out.

Regardless, based on my own listening experience, the W800Neos are excellent drivers. Even if the Italians do get a little funny with their spec sheets.
If it's only a 2-way measurement, then they are damn expensive compared to their competition (AudioFrog, Stevens, etc.).

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I don't know what they cost... what is retail on them?
They used to be $900 a pair, it looks like they're down around 350-500 Euros, but I can't tell if those are single or pair prices (one site is German, the other Italian).

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am guessing its a 2 way Xmax.
If they sound excellent the price is probably more bc of their sound, than their Xmax.
I had a chance to buy a used set cheap recently but was just too late.😣
But also calculated (Q 0.7) in a 21 liter closed box; 82hz was a bit too high for me.. bc I want to use them in kickpanels... and would like the 8" as low as possible. (And my enclosure would be less than 21 liters) Or do you all boost it with a dsp?

Erin is that your BMX hanging on the wall? I still have mine from the 80's...
have great memories of that freestyling period 😊

·
18,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Erin is that your BMX hanging on the wall? I still have mine from the 80's...
have great memories of that freestyling period 😊
Yep! It's my buddy's prototype signature Hoffman BAMA frame from 2005. I haven't ridden hardly at all since 2006 because I had to quit due to back issues (had surgery in 2007). It still runs in my veins, though. I don't drive past a handrail or gap that I don't look at and think "man, I'd love to bomb that". :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yep! It's my buddy's prototype signature Hoffman BAMA frame from 2005. I haven't ridden hardly at all since 2006 because I had to quit due to back issues (had surgery in 2007). It still runs in my veins, though. I don't drive past a handrail or gap that I don't look at and think "man, I'd love to bomb that". :D
Nice!! Yeah its a joy to ride and play with it (feeling free and stuff)... I got wayyy to tall after puberty so cant ride it anymore unfortunately...

·
18,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Few more videos posted. Make sure to subscribe and hit the notifications bell so you will be alerted when I post more videos.

Bose 901 speaker review:

Philharmonic BMR DIY speaker review:

And an upcoming driver test teaser of the Audio Development W800NEO. :)

·
18,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Enclosure subwoofer? Or drive unit? I can fit up to about 15 inch subs in the test stand. Larger probably. If you're talking enclosure subwoofers (like a powered sub you buy from crutchfield, etc) then the limits are within me toting it around.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
. I haven't ridden hardly at all since 2006 because I had to quit due to back issues (had surgery in 2007). It still runs in my veins, though. I don't drive past a handrail or gap that I don't look at and think "man, I'd love to bomb that". :D
I remember the bmx video you posted many moons ago.

Thanks for the reviews. I rather enjoy them.

Reactions: ErinH

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
W800NEO review is done. Follow this thread:
5mm one way is more in line with everyone else’s take... at a push you could say they’d labelled it as xmech p-p or as you found 9.3mm one way due to compliance limit... but even then it’s a stretch as it says xmax... depends how they measured... but doing it a way that’s dissimilar to everyone else throws doubt on other stats 🙈 I’ll stick with my hybrid audio U69v2

101 - 120 of 126 Posts