DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my CLK 500. The amount of factory foam, jute padding, and other sound deadener is amazing. I have a box of Stinger RoadKill, but I'm not sure I even need it. Anyone here with Mercedes experience? Was any additional sound deadener needed? I plan on putting some on the door skins when I replace the 6.5" in the doors, and maybe some on the rear deck, but everything else seems well covered. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not a Merc, but my caddy had about 1-1/4" of foam under the front carpet. I pulled it and used two layers of Second Skin Luxury Liner, damplifier pro plus a heat barrier. The car has a hot floor and trans tunnel problem so that was the main reason behind it.

This is a completely subjective and totally unqualified opinion, but I would say the factory setup was quieter. The doors and whatnot were a different story, but if it was not for the heat I would be going back to stock padding.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Backpach.... Thanks for the info. Good insight and very comparable. I have at least that much foam under the carpet also. Did you do any other deadening? Can you expand a little on "doors and whatnot were a different story"?

Customz.... YES!! I forgot about trunk lid. I plan on doing that also. By side panels do you mean the rear quarters? I've got some of the trunk trim removed and it looks like there is already something there from the factory. A gray sheet of something is placed in the center of the panel, maybe a sheet about 6"x6". Since I have it apart already I guess it wouldn't hurt to do a little more. Rear deck I originally planned on doing, but I've read that it can hurt SQ, which is the goal of this build. I thought I'd try it without first, then go from there. Doors, I plan on getting what I can in there when the speakers are out (door skins). What about inner door? I haven't gotten that far yet, but I've seen some pics from others and it looks pretty well insulated from the factory. Will it be much of an improvement? Roof... Well, I would love to but this install is already kicking my butt. I did a full install on an Isuzu Rodeo in the same time it took me to just run the 1/0 to the trunk!!! I can't even imagine what would be involved with dropping the headliner!!!

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
My friend has a Brabus CL65 and an CL65 AMG and the only sound deadening we've done is to the trunklid. It's so damn quiet going down the road I can't imagine any aftermarket products improving it. My TL with about 200lbs of Second Skin Damplifier and the entire floor, roof, and most other panels covered in Luxury liner Pro is still not as quiet as the stock Mercedes. Where the additional noise comes in is the side glass. The stock Acura glass was never an issue but once I deadened the entire car, the noise coming through the windows was obvious. The Mercedes uses double paned windows with the gel in the center which is something I could never match.

If it were mine and the CLK is anything like the CL, I would do the trunk lid only if you have a sub in the trunk and call it a day unless you get any interior rattles from the aftermarket system which is unlikely. I used to make fun of how much those cars weighed but after running some wiring and seeing the amount of factory sound deadening, I'm surprised at how light they are.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Very little deadening above the floor line I found. The rockers are foam filled and the carpet even had a vinyl backing, but once I tore the trim off I found all the effort was aimed at the floor pan. The doors, pillars and trunk received the usual MLV + the decoupler and polyfill in the large cavities, which is what I meant by the whatnot. I found the glass to be the biggest noise leak once that was done as many before me have also, but still made great gains in road noise reduction and added a general solid feel to all the panels using that method.

I'm sure even the base model Merc has better deadening than what the GM factory puts out, so take all of that with a big grain of salt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts