DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure how else to describe it....bought a set of components used a month or so ago for upcoming install. Never put them to power, just gave them a visual once over. Just now took a deeper look and one of the 6.5's wont even move. If i push on the center of the cone I get nothing!!! Rock solid! If you touch the spider itself it flexes, just not where the cone and spider come together! Needless to say I'm pissed, but has anyone come across this and is there a solution? (other than tossing it and starting over)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sure, I've seen it. Likely it was dropped and the center of the motor shifted and pinched the voice coil. It could also have been fed too much power and seized from overheating.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can it be fixed? I emailed the guy and he already responded saying he would send another, but wants me to send him this one first. We were also working out a deal on a large lot of equipment....but not so sure now.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Probably overheated. The glue used to keep the voice coil wound probably melted and stuck to the motor. There's not much hope of fixing it. It can be done, but only for the most expensive drivers. It's not worth the hassle for anything less.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i googled the issue and saw someone said if it happened from "falling" that you could bang it and maybe shift it back....it did that (since i am getting another anyway) and it worked loose, but had that scratch that i have heard means it is blown. Banged it again and is stuck again. Guess i'll be shipping it off tomorrow!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts