DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's not just the snakes, sharks, monster crocodiles, so many lethal jellyfish, blue ringed octopus, stonefish, cone shells which are poisonous sea snails that shoot venomous darts. Even the frogs are dangerous in Australia Oh the spiders. How could I forget the spiders. Scorpions too. Monster centipedes. Oh and platypus males have poison spines too.

Even the frogs are dangerous..........

·
Registered
2016 WRX (FA20DIT)
141 Posts
So it's not just the snakes, sharks, monster crocodiles, so many lethal jellyfish, blue ringed octopus, stonefish, cone shells which are poisonous sea snails that shoot venomous darts. Even the frogs are dangerous in Australia Oh the spiders. How could I forget the spiders. Scorpions too. Monster centipedes. Oh and platypus males have poison spines too.

Even the frogs are dangerous..........

ROFLMAO man...great story...I checked it on Snopes and it looks like it is legit as well :D :ROFLMAO: :D

Seriously though...you just don't encounter any of the dangerous creatures in most (MOST) of the major cities in Australia! If you go travelling miles from anywhere up North (especially North Queensland) then yeah...you are going to run into a few funky animals!! Serisously though I live in Perth Western Australia, I have lived here 30 years (moved from NZ as a child). I have seen one snake in the wild in that entire time. I don't know what breed it was but I made it very dead with the end of my shovel (I was at work up North of West Australia at the time). Other than that I have never come across any other dangerous insect or animal...

...excepting Redback Spiders. They are everywhere. The number of times I have lifted up a brick or something outside and felt something crawling across my hand just to see a Redback take off I could not tell you. Inside the house is no problem...they will find a way into a dark dampish area of the house (like the back of one of my guitar amps etc.)...they are not so cool. Chances are high that a bite would not kill you (unless you had a weakened immune system from a pre-existing condition)...but the stories I have heard are not cool about the effects of a bite...and the effects of the anti venom as well...

Other Australian cities are no doubt different...but it is nothing like people think :D hahaha

Peace mate (y)

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Redbacks? we played with them as kids for fun :) Well not really but you are right they only kill the very young or old or infirm. We did a first aid course and the advice was "put an ice pack on it but the bite hurts so much the victim probably won't let you anywhere near them, so just get them to a clinic with the antivenom, while it hurts they probably won't die." I've had a few very close encounters with big angry females with massive red stripes but they are fragile its safe enough to crush them with your bare hands if you are quick enough.

But the Sydney Funnel Web is the most dangerous spider in the world I think. Big, fast, agile, massive fangs, anger easily, very aggressive, extremely dangerous venom and the females can bite straight through an adult's big toenail. I've never needed to kill a snake. Trying usually just increases your chance of getting bitten. But if I ever came across a Sydney funnel web I'd be looking for a strong broom.

I'm from Adelaide but worked in the bush in the Flinders Ranges and snakes were common, and we had quite a few in the worlds top 10 from memory. You'd get the western brown in Perth they are very dangerous. We bush camped and there were always scorpions under our groundsheets in the morning. And I was working on aquatic biology of streams. Watching eastern brown snakes feeding on tadpoles and frogs was enthralling from a biologists point of view, but it made it hard to take samples and make measurements. And then there were the king browns, thicker than your arm and when they crossed the dirt roads the head would disappear into the bushes before the tail came out onto the road on the other side. Two lanes wide. Beautiful creatures though.

And under the rocks and in tin cans and shells you'd get the blue ringed octopus over there I think, we do, very common here. beautiful, only 5cm across. Don't even feel the bite but you're dead in 5 minutes.

And along with SA and Capetown don't you sandgropers get as many great white deaths as anywhere else in the world?

And the salt water crocodiles you'd get up northern WA they are probably the most dangerous animal on the planet after mosquitoes and hippopotamus. And the box jellyfish:

"The Chironex fleckeri’s venom is thought to be the strongest of any species of jellyfish as it has the ability to kill an adult man with a dose that weighs about as much as a single grain of salt. One sting can result in extreme pain and excruciating burning sensations; if left untreated, it can cause cardiac arrest and death. Said to be the deadliest jellyfish in the world, around 63 human fatalities have been attributed to the sea wasp over the course of 80 years in Australia—and those are just the known cases."

The Irukandji is an adorable little thing too......... always wear full bodied lycra or a wetsuit when snorkeling or swimming or diving in the Australian tropics.
"The tiny Irukandji is another jellyfish that does not play around when it comes to its venomous sting. Once believed to be found only in Australian waters, recent sightings have also been recorded in Florida, Japan, Thailand, and even in the British Isles—which has led to growing concern over the possible global spread of this fatally poisonous jellyfish. Its small size—about the size of an adult fingernail—and nearly transparent body makes it an incredible threat to humans, who will in most cases feel the burn without ever having seen their attacker. A sting from the Irukandji produces what is known as Irukandji Syndrome, from which the victim will feel severe pain that can last for up to 12 hours; burning sensations on the skin; nausea and vomiting; excruciating stomach cramps, as well as muscle cramps in the legs and arms; serious cardiac problems; and a strange psychological symptom that causes the victim to experience feelings of impending doom, which makes them actually beg for death. “Patients believe they’re going to die and they’re so certain of it that they’ll actually beg their doctors to kill them just to get it over with,” said Australian biologist Lisa Gershwin during an ABC radio interview in 2007."

·
Registered
3,753 Posts

·
Registered
2016 WRX (FA20DIT)
141 Posts

You and your conspiracy buds are most welcome to dribble shit to each other and see who wins the award for lowest IQ. It's a free world; do what you want.
Trashing someone else's post for no reason other than that no one is paying attention to you anymore is just being an asshole.
Go find something else to do.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
You and your conspiracy buds are most welcome to dribble shit to each other and see who wins the award for lowest IQ. It's a free world; do what you want.
Trashing someone else's post for no reason other than that no one is paying attention to you anymore is just being an asshole.
Go find something else to do.
Like you said, it's a free world... I'll do as I please, thank you. But, seriously, nobody's curious about Australia(ns).

·
Registered
18,416 Posts
think its the black mamba that is, but dont quote me on that
no, black mamba is up there though. Only thing I know that might be close to the taipan is the brown snake, also from Australia. Fuck that place lol

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
no, black mamba is up there though. Only thing I know that might be close to the taipan is the brown snake, also from Australia. Fuck that place lol
If the wildlife is not bad enough, there are also the people ;)

·
Registered
2016 WRX (FA20DIT)
141 Posts
If the wildlife is not bad enough, there are also the people ;)
As I am single I will particularly draw attention to the quality of female...
As a mate once said 'if you want a decent girl to settle down with in Australia then you need to import them'...
That cracked me up...'fuck that place' hahahaha
Yeah the 'brown snake' is badass...that is actually a broad description of a number of species of snake native to Australia. As I am a West Australian we have the Dugite (from the family called 'brown snakes') here. Highly venomous...but not necessarily lethal apparently...
I have to tell this story to fan the flames a bit...apparently (this is Wikipedia; I was interested so I had a look, I don't know this stuff off the top of my head!) there was a death from a bite a few years ago (lady hiking)...but before that there was a young boy that was temporarily paralysed by a Dugite bite...

It crawled into his bedroom and wrapped itself around his arm while he was asleep.

Sweet dreams gents :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Everything I know about Australia animals, I learned from watching Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter lol. I miss steve, he didn't care he'd find something and jump on it.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Everything I know about Australia animals, I learned from watching Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter lol. I miss steve, he didn't care he'd find something and jump on it.
Was Irwin to animals what CaptBuff is to the ladyfolk?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lol, horses and cows kill more people in Australia than all of the other fuckery we have going on around the land, in the rivers and in the oceans of Australia. You got your box jellyfish, blue ringed octopus (one of the most toxic venoms on the planet), Eastern Tiger snake, Western Brown snake, Dugites (spotted brown snakes, terrotorial bastards that chase you), Queensland Inland and Coastal Taipans, Pilbara and Common Death Adders, Funnel Web spiders, dingo stealing babies, platypuses with poison barbs, Great White sharks, Bull sharks, Tiger sharks, Saltwater Crocodiles, the Stinging Stonefish which can kill from the pain alone due to shock, giant centipedes, scorpions and other bullshit. But yeah, bees, horses, cows, riptides and mosquitoes claim more lives.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want to know where @captainbuff imports his women from. Oz at least in the cities is so multicultural there's every flavour you could ask for already. And I'm not sure he's a real captain or buffed. I'd like to see documented evidence and pics 🤣

Not that aussie men ever tell tall stories 😄

·
Registered
2016 WRX (FA20DIT)
141 Posts
Well...my approach with women isn't:
'Crikey! Check her out!! Strewth...she's bloody alright ay...?! She is just minding her own business...but I wonder how far I can poke my thumb up her ass before she bites me!!??'
RIP Steve.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well...my approach with women isn't:
'Crikey! Check her out!! Strewth...she's bloody alright ay...?! She is just minding her own business...but I wonder how far I can poke my thumb up her ass before she bites me!!??'
RIP Steve.
So you're not like my typical WRX driving mates in Adelaide then 🤣🤣

1 - 20 of 43 Posts