DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
we have a great WHS team and culture. And in a lab you need quality systems so you can trust your results. And when we do investigations it's insane but you have to make sure things stand up in court. So you need enough bureaocracy to get things right and save lives. Geez and we need a federal ICAC cos corruption is an issue.

Your birman is beautiful. Our last one was almost 23 when she died. She never reached 3kg. They are great cats one of the most beautiful breeds. They do live a long time as indoor cats. Not streetwise at all. And they take longer to mature than other breeds so they are more kitten like for longer. Odin is quite willful and a handfull but so entertaining and affectionate. He loves being cradled like a baby and having his belly rubbed. Its hilarious watching him and my wife in their battle of wills. I just laugh my head off and get told off. She's trying to modify some of his behaviour but he doesnt climb the curtains so he's doing ok. Our last one poppy was very well behaved and placid. Odins twice the size and lively. He's super motivated by food even if he ignores the water squirter.

I miss the flinders. Its gods own country so beautiful. Amazing geology vegetation and wildlife. Try to get up there once a year for a 4 day weekend over the blinman gymkhana.

Cheers sam

·
Registered
2016 WRX (FA20DIT)
207 Posts
you have to make sure things stand up in court
Man...we are obviously coming from differing sides of the 'construction/management/bureaucracy' coin so by no means do I want to ruffle any feathers! I totally agree in Quality Assurance and Job Safety and Health (I just about died a couple times on site...you just get complacent after a long shift...so OSH is there for a reason that I support).
What I just could not handle towards the end of my career was the never ending barrage of all the aforementioned people. My apologies for any offence; but I particularly took umbrage to kids barely out of their teens coming onto my site and thinking they could boss me around and waste my time checking the first aid supplies and creating a non-conformance because there wasn't enough saline solution. FFS. All they did was protect their job security.

I was there to manage a project or as a site engineer; my job was to get instructions to the site supervisors so that they could get the job done. To be sitting in an office spending a week typing up a 20 page draft copy of a 'Concrete Methodology Plan' (which detailed all the work processes including OSH and QA etc.) - just to find out that the management was so bogged down themselves they didn't realise that another engineer had done it already - that was just not what I wanted to do and not necessary for the job.

Lastly the line that I quoted...increasingly the job became more about protecting your own ass than getting anything done; because who knows when the bureaucrats would roll through.

That's a fair rant - my apologies as I don't intend any offence - but perhaps as America is experiencing now...a correct and virtuous pursuit has been blown out of proportion by those whose intentions are nefarious and selfish...and in the end the entire point is lost and nothing good comes from it. The underlined part of that sentence applied only to my situation explained above...I wanted to differentiate that from the metaphor that I had chosen!

Onto other things.

23! Dam that is a huge age for a car in general...Miss ('Mischievous'...I thought it was a jovial if not simplistic play on words!!) is only small so she can't jump the fences and I don't let her out the front...exactly because of what you mentioned! I have a decent backyard and she has fun in it so she doesn't lack anything...the water squirter wouldn't work on her...she climbs in the shower with me :LOL::ROFLMAO: of course we are in the midst of a charming winter down here and she likes the warm tiles and a warm drink...I feed her rump steak and premium biscuits everyday and she drinks shower water....whatever :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Man...we are obviously coming from differing sides of the 'construction/management/bureaucracy' coin so by no means do I want to ruffle any feathers! I totally agree in Quality Assurance and Job Safety and Health (I just about died a couple times on site...you just get complacent after a long shift...so OSH is there for a reason that I support).
What I just could not handle towards the end of my career was the never ending barrage of all the aforementioned people. My apologies for any offence; but I particularly took umbrage to kids barely out of their teens coming onto my site and thinking they could boss me around and waste my time checking the first aid supplies and creating a non-conformance because there wasn't enough saline solution. FFS. All they did was protect their job security.

I was there to manage a project or as a site engineer; my job was to get instructions to the site supervisors so that they could get the job done. To be sitting in an office spending a week typing up a 20 page draft copy of a 'Concrete Methodology Plan' (which detailed all the work processes including OSH and QA etc.) - just to find out that the management was so bogged down themselves they didn't realise that another engineer had done it already - that was just not what I wanted to do and not necessary for the job.

Lastly the line that I quoted...increasingly the job became more about protecting your own ass than getting anything done; because who knows when the bureaucrats would roll through.

That's a fair rant - my apologies as I don't intend any offence - but perhaps as America is experiencing now...a correct and virtuous pursuit has been blown out of proportion by those whose intentions are nefarious and selfish...and in the end the entire point is lost and nothing good comes from it. The underlined part of that sentence applied only to my situation explained above...I wanted to differentiate that from the metaphor that I had chosen!

Onto other things.

23! Dam that is a huge age for a car in general...Miss ('Mischievous'...I thought it was a jovial if not simplistic play on words!!) is only small so she can't jump the fences and I don't let her out the front...exactly because of what you mentioned! I have a decent backyard and she has fun in it so she doesn't lack anything...the water squirter wouldn't work on her...she climbs in the shower with me :LOL::ROFLMAO: of course we are in the midst of a charming winter down here and she likes the warm tiles and a warm drink...I feed her rump steak and premium biscuits everyday and she drinks shower water....whatever :ROFLMAO:
Thats adorable. You obviously know how to wrangle a birman. I was going to say hills science diet furball version is great if she'll eat kibble now she gets rump steak. She's really imprinted on you. Odin is fascinated by the shower but doesn't go in while its on. But he loves rubbing on wet legs. And if he's doing something he loves like playing with my headphone cable i can shoot him inbetween the eyes a dozen times with the water squirter and he'll just ignore it.

As for your inspection troubles theres good regulation and bad regulation. You need to make it as easy as possible for people or companies to do the right thing.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
So it's not just the snakes, sharks, monster crocodiles, so many lethal jellyfish, blue ringed octopus, stonefish, cone shells which are poisonous sea snails that shoot venomous darts. Even the frogs are dangerous in Australia Oh the spiders. How could I forget the spiders. Scorpions too. Monster centipedes. Oh and platypus males have poison spines too.

Even the frogs are dangerous..........

The number one country I would like to visit also has the largest collection of deadly animals. Do they sell full body chain mail/kevlar body armor there? :)

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
The number one country I would like to visit also has the largest collection of deadly animals. Do they sell full body chain mail/kevlar body armor there? :)
NZ is also good to visit, and a lot less of the deadlies around.

Reactions: Sam Spade

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Nah... they just use a mask ;)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Oz isn't really unsafe if you're sensible. If you can make time for NZ while you're here it's beautiful
I'm always seeing videos of those Eastern Brown snakes everwhere in people's homes, yards, cars, etc. Not to mention those apparently harmless, excuse me, not deadly, but freaking huge Huntsman spiders. I love your country, but almost all of the places I'd want to visit are populated by extremely deadly creatures.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I'm always seeing videos of those Eastern Brown snakes everwhere in people's homes, yards, cars, etc. Not to mention those apparently harmless, excuse me, not deadly, but freaking huge Huntsman spiders. I love your country, but almost all of the places I'd want to visit are populated by extremely deadly creatures.
Hunsmen are tame you can pat them 😄

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I cant be bothered googling the numbers but I'm 99.9% certain the chance of getting killed by a deadly creature here is far less than by a person with a deadly gun in the US. on balance you'd be much safer here 😄

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
The leading two causes of death for US tourists are:
  • defenestration.
  • stepping off the curb looking left, as the car hits them from the right.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thats hilarious. You forgot about losing knife fights to crocodile dundee types cos they can't bring their guns to Oz 🤣

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I cant be bothered googling the numbers but I'm 99.9% certain the chance of getting killed by a deadly creature here is far less than by a person with a deadly gun in the US. on balance you'd be much safer here
I've managed to live here 48 years without anyone shooting me, shooting at me, or pointing a gun at me, but I have had 3 rattlesnakes strike at me. I think I'd rather takes my chances with gun toting people instead of deadly animals.

·
Registered
2004 Lexus GS 300
77 Posts
Heres my 5kg18 month old maniac boy with the brain of a kitten and the body of an adult. Hes so affectionate and playful. But strong willed. Watching him and my wife in a battle of the wills is hilarious. He mostly ignores the water squirter. He's a bit of a handful. We got him after we lost our girl who was almost 23 and never made 3kg and was a bit better behaved.

View attachment 273077

I wouldnt want my cat bitten by a redback either. But they are delicate and fragile on a flat surface. Id never try and kill a sydney funnel web with bare hands. Maybe a flamethrower. Those are seriously scary.

I'm born and bred South Aussie. Love the bits of WA ive seen. Perth Freo, Rotto all the way round the coast to Albany. Love to get up north see Kimberley and shark bay and ningaloo reef and the whale sharks.

We should have more off topic threads. Ironing boards and pet cats maybe 🤣🤣🤣
Beautiful cat! Cats are my favorite animals by far.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts