DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I ask any questions I want to give a little background.

I stopped installing professionally a few years ago and my last SQ install was stolen around the same time. I used to be an installer for Tweeter. Not long after I got a new truck and moved to FL to finish college. I was not going to put a system in my truck (05 Toyota x-runner) when I moved to FL so other then a small 4 chan amp and some wires I brought down I left all my extra gear in boxes in Chicago. Being a student means that I have very little $ to spend on anything let alone my trucks sound system. Well Just the other day I decided to install that 4 channel amp (older alpine) using the extra wires I brought down and only spending money on a line level converter. Well as many of you have expereinced I want to do more, much more, but I don't have the money or tools down here to do any of the work. So whats a man to do. Well I have decided to make the most cost effecient install I can design.

This will be using the stock HU (6 disk changer) and the 4 channel amp which is wired for both front and rear. With possibly the exception of the tweeters I will be using stock locations for all the drivers. I will add a sub one day but that may not be for years so this will be designed as a subless system. I am currently running the rear channels in lowpass to act as little sub/midbasses to help augment the stock front speakers. Currently the truck sound ok but it has no midbass, some bass and if it is pushed even a little hard the drivers bottom out.

The equipment I have in Chicago in boxes are as follows. A pair of eclipse 6.5" components, Spare set of crossovers for eclipse components, A pair of 6.5" polk momo components, A pair of beat up old pioneer tweets, 2 X 8" vifa midbasses from an old PE/apexjr buyout that were supposedly used in the mackie hr824 monitors, 4 X 5 1/4 midbasses from an old PE buyout. 3 X JL 10W6 (old school design), 1 X 12" tc2+ sub, 2 RF DVC 8" subs (ancient but won me a few SPL titles in a wicked one enclosure), 2 fiberglass kickpod enclosures for a 99 dodge neon R/T, 1 Fiberglass sub enclosure for 99 dodge neon R/T, spare wires parts and odds and ends. All of these parts will require me to find someone to goto my parrents house, find the right equipment and ship it to me, which will be a lot of work. I will however be moving back to Chicago in a year at which point all this equipment will be very easy for me to access.

I am living in an apartment and have some very basic tools but I have to way to do any wood working, nor do I know anyone who has woodworking tools. There is a chance I could find a shop to make small parts if needed. This limits what I can currently do. What I could use some advice on is what my next step should be and why. Here is what I am thinking currently. The next thing I should upgrade is my midbass. With the stock being a 6X9 I can easily put a 6.5" in or possible get an 8" to fit. I have been looking at the Selenium 8PW3-SLF because of it's high efficiency and for the tendency of pro audio drivers to have a lot of midbass. I figgure that a pair of these plus shipping should out perform what I have back in Chicago and will cost me less to get and install instead of paying shipping for items from Chicago +hassle of getting them. If I have a little spare money after that I could always buy a pair of close out tweets to replace the stock. I could also put the tweets in small fiberglass kickpods because I can build them without any wood working tools.

I understand there are a lot of factors here. I just needed to put this all in writing so I could make sense of it all and see if I could get some feedback.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Though its been a while I do remember being a poor student - for a long while - but still needing my sounds. Okay so the limitations are $, lack of woodworking tools and workspace, and the hassle of having someone delve into your stash and send stuff from parents house. Assets are that since you are an ex-installer you know how to hook stuff up, have an X-runner truck w/ a small cabin, have a small 4 channel amp and have a stash of stuff at parents. It seems you have identified midbass in particular is lacking. One approach would be to go for a basic install that would target your front stage only. Most cost effective would be to have someone send you those Polk or Eclipse components - pick the ones w/ better midbass. I believe the cutout for the present speakers are 6x9 so you would need to buy premade mounts for 6 1/2" since you can't wood or plastic work. Then spend a bit for 'peel and stick' and some 3M adhesive spray and borrow a hair dryer to deaden the outer and inner door skins. Then bridge that four channel amp to send your comps some decent power. Can't stress enough about working on install and deadening the doors to make that midbass come out. Should work particularly well in the smaller truck cabin. Without time alignment I like my tweeters in the kicks for good passive integration. Flush mount would be nice, but if you can't borrow a tool then surface mount will do. Take some time to aim the tweeters for best sound using double stick tape.
This approach for quality install w/ adequate components/parts will give a better outcome than adding more more speakers w/o deadening/baffling.
If you are like me, in a few months you will find money for an amp and prefab truck box for one or two of those 10w6s ya got stored.:D

·
Registered
404 Posts
After re-reading your tentative plan of Selenium midbass and closeout tweeters as DIY comps will leave you w/o a way to properly integrate those pieces. Even adding you spare Eclipse x-overs will have you trying to mismatch you your comp choices, especially w/ a very efficient pro midbass.
much better to use one of your existing complete and engineered component systems w/ its dedicated x-overs.

By the way, good Godfather quote.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a pretty good summation of whats going on. In the future I will be deadening the doors and adding ensolite or a similar product but for now i am going to focus solely on the drivers. The fronts are 6X9's and there is a company that makes MDF and plastic adapter mounts specifically for my truck which make it easy to install 6.5". I have always wanted to try 8" midbasses up front though and don't mind going through the trouble of sourcing someone to build mounts for me to install them. Does the fact that I am able to build my own crossovers change what you think I should do?

Speaking of midbasses alone, which do you feel will have the best SQ between the selenium, polk audio, eclipse given that they all have a proper crossover. Once I move back to Chicago I will end up finishing what ever I start now to make a complete install.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I hear you about being able to design a x-over as that is what I used to do way back in the day when I would do a 12db/octave on the tweeter and start w/ a largish coil/inductor on the midbass and simply cut off wire and trial and error by ear. We would take my stuff to the hotter car stereo shops and compare quite favorably to the ADS comps they would have. Saying that, car stereo has progressed a lot since then and the systems that are being created are pretty integrated so I personally would not bother trying to roll my own. Also, trying to use an 8" for midrange duty will require a lot of x-over work and a tweeter that will go low to avoid frequncy breakup. Having never heard any of your choices performing, I dunno. However I just read that a guy had Polk Momo comps and he said his bass was weak and needed a lot of power. So by default perhaps the Eclipse comps would be your best option.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input monkeybutt. I am going to try to seek out a little bit more about the selenium drivers before I decide. The fact that they play up so high makes me think it would be easier for me to mate them to my stock tweeters until I replace them. I think I just really like the idea of 8" midbasses up front.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts