DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to brandont I have some new toys to play with. Haven't had time to build a test enclosure yet. But I thought you might want to see some pics of the Peerless Exclusive 4's next to Scanspeak 12Ms.

·
18,694 Posts
when you test these, how do you plan to do it?

do you plan to fire each at the same varying angles (on-axis, 30 off, 60 off, etc)?
Do you have the means to take response plots at all?

That kind of stuff would be really cool to see.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am considering getting some kind of RTA software. The only laptop I have is a company one. But maybe I could load something on an external disk?

Anything you would recommend?

Mostly I was planning to listen with them stacked with the 12Ms off an a/b speaker switch.

But I am open to suggestions. If someone with a sterling reputation and some real equipment is willing I could loan then out for testing.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I exact drivers I have in the closet slated for a future project...if you ever do get them tested, I would like to hear your subjective opinions

·
Registered
22 Posts
Very nice, I'm waiting to read your review about the HDS VS 12M's

I'm using a par of HDS 4", got them installed in "testing mode" running IB, I'm liking them, but I'm missing the HAT L3's, that I burned:mad:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That really that suprises me. I would expect thet the Exclusives would be a step up from the HAT 3's. At least up to 4-5KHz. What is it that you miss?

·
Registered
22 Posts
That really that suprises me. I would expect thet the Exclusives would be a step up from the HAT 3's. At least up to 4-5KHz. What is it that you miss?
Sorry for the off topic: I miss exactly that part 3.5khz upwards till 8khz region. But never mind the L3's, you will find the HDS 4" warm and correct from 315Hz to 3.5Khz, very easy to work with. HDS= Your Friends / L3's= High Maintenance Girls, they do require work to comply to your needs :laugh:

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Will the 12m 4.5" mid fit in an A-pillar install? :confused: I'm really considering auditioning this if I can find a Sonus Faber center channel here in town. I'm curious how good this mid can be when rocking at 98-104db SPL range at 1-meter away.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Will the 12m 4.5" mid fit in an A-pillar install? :confused: I'm really considering auditioning this if I can find a Sonus Faber center channel here in town. I'm curious how good this mid can be when rocking at 98-104db SPL range at 1-meter away.
Since it's done before, probably quite a few times, I'm going to say yes.

Search the build log thread, it's really not that hard.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Since it's done before, probably quite a few times, I'm going to say yes.

Search the build log thread, it's really not that hard.
And how does the mid sound at 1-meter away doing 98db - 104db SPL???

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am going to try A-pillar/Dash pod but my Titan truck has a lot of dash real estate. I can try the ratshack meter to see what SPL I can comfortable get from the 12Ms. Maybe some who already have them installed already could give a more accurate answer on SPL. They seem to be less strained at 315Hz crossover than at 250Hz at louder volumes. I really think the crossover point affects the maximum usable SPL in a big way. for instance if you crossed them at 600Hz I bet they would get extremely loud. But they get pretty darn loud in subjective listening even at 250Hz crossover.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
And how does the mid sound at 1-meter away doing 98db - 104db SPL???
ScanSpeakishly loud?

Jim - x2 on the 250 HP and "straining." Cleaner, clearer and more effortless at 315hz for this kid. (kick install).

I think an interesting shootout would be the Scan 12M, PRS 4", and the Exclusive 4". NPD loved the PRS, Zaph felt the 12M was worth like $50 IIRC, and it seems you really get a lot with Peerless stuff for not a lot of money (yes I'm takin to you Dynaudio). :)

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,953 Posts
ScanSpeakishly loud?

Jim - x2 on the 250 HP and "straining." Cleaner, clearer and more effortless at 315hz for this kid. (kick install).

I think an interesting shootout would be the Scan 12M, PRS 4", and the Exclusive 4". NPD loved the PRS, Zaph felt the 12M was worth like $50 IIRC, and it seems you really get a lot with Peerless stuff for not a lot of money (yes I'm takin to you Dynaudio). :)

x3

315hz above they get more the loud enough and this is from my own testing. Not sure where he cross them at in his install, but in Steve Heads Civic along with the 2118H and OW1-fs the 12m gets loud as h*ll and stays clean doing it. I listened to the Civic at SBN.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wish I could find a PRS 4 set to try. I am trying to resist buying the Focal W4 on ebay, although he is local and I could save shipping. I would think they belong in this discussion along with HAT4. There is also some Audax Areogel 4s on ebay, although I doubt they would be loud enough for car audio. npdang did a review on PRS 4, 12M, Excl 4, and Eton Hex I believe, which is obviously much better than anything I will be able to accomplish.

Something tells me you could do Vifa PL 4s and get 95%+ of the performance of these drivers. Though those are getting harder to come by.

Since I seem to be getting some useful feedback I will pose a question. I have the F1 ring radiator Scan version tweeter. I love the way it sounds but it is a huge 3.5" diameter monster, especially to dash mount. I have considered some other tweeters such as Illuminator shallow (D3004?), Piccalos, Alpine Pro RR. But I hate to spend $300+ for something if I am gonna be disappointed in comparison with the F1s. Any suggestions on small format tweeters that would be comparable to the F1s?

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
x3

315hz above they get more the loud enough and this is from my own testing. Not sure where he cross them at in his install, but in Steve Heads Civic along with the 2118H and OW1-fs the 12m gets loud as h*ll and stays clean doing it. I listened to the Civic at SBN.
Cool! Great reaffirmation. I'm always cutting mine by like 2 dB in my car...even with 45w [rated.]

See I could put that same stuff in my car (in fact I'll be close here soon) and it would sound like a dog turd. Wish I had Fazza magic skills. Oh well, at least I try....

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,953 Posts
Cool! Great reaffirmation. I'm always cutting mine by like 2 dB in my car...even with 45w [rated.]

See I could put that same stuff in my car (in fact I'll be close here soon) and it would sound like a dog turd. Wish I had Fazza magic skills. Oh well, at least I try....

Mu setup like his also, just with the Sonus Faber modded 12m.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I listened to the Exclusives for about 20 min last night free air. I can't wait to get the a/b switches in so I can switch easily between the 12M and Exc. But initial listen left a smile on my face. I expect it will be like splitting hairs between these 2.

Now I gotta get some kind of RTA program.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts