DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im loving the subaru (1996 impreza outback wagon) :rimshot:

very nice quiet fun drive but it has this drone or resonance at about 2000 rpm (and 2000 hz id guess?) = a lot of the time, id love to keep it rolls royce quiet all the time, for less then $20 :laugh:

anyone know of a good, quick, cheap fix ?

steel wool up the tail pipe?

drill a couple holes somewhere?

new muffler?

damplifier ? :D

lead sheet?

bracket/brace?

1-2 (Y) dual tail pipe?

port it?

transmission line ???

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
237 Posts

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Some things that have worked in the past for me...

If it has dual exhaust (I'm assuming it's a 4 cylinder with single exhaust but you never know) use two different length or diameter mufflers of the same model. You would have to figure it out but it's used by OEMs to get rid of drone.

You already extended the tailpipe out from under the car.

Is the muffler(s) near the middle of the car? With all else being equal, having the muffler at the rear of the car usually helps with drone.

Catalytic converters help, not sure if you've done any sort of cat delete.

A turbo does wonders for quieting exhaust noise but that might be over the $20 limit lol.

In my GN some bracing that I added to increase torsional stiffness to try and stop cracking the roof and wrinkling the rear quarter panels actually helped tremendously with exhaust drone which tells me drone is probably body resonance or it's a contributing factor. In my case it was welding in a bar between the rear frame rails, exhaust drone reduction was not even a thought when doing that.

You can add a resonator or extra muffler or whatever you want to call it.

Last, make sure the exhaust is not touching anywhere. Sometimes all it takes is enough wind drag to "push" the exhaust into a position to where it rubs on the body. Sometimes it's a bad motor mount that lets the engine move too much and the exhaust contacts the body.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Switch to a different muffler (not factory)
Why not switch back to the factory exhaust? It would get rid of the drone. Adding a cherry bomb resonator, like any louvered resonator IMO will always increase backpressure. Sometimes a little backpressure is good, sometimes not.

It's pretty common for hatches and small wagons to develop more drone than a sedan from the rear. I've had pretty good experience doing the cld/ccf/mlv combo in the rear tub of hatches and wagons.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts