DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive been working on new pods for my car. Idea is to make foam cavitys. Resign the outside of the foam and hollow them out...

Well When i first started taping off my window it started raining. Thus every time i went to tape the heat from my hand made the window fog. After playing games taping the window off and pillars. I tapped the baffels in place.

Not realising that with the moisture in the air. The tape wouldnt stick and plus a mis calculation with how much faom to use I ended up with this...

The baffel was flush with the window and pillar. Now its a close to 2" away. Thank gawd I used more tape than I thought i would need.

I just figured some might get some humor outa this... Im still learning :)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
never seen that before. most people just glass in the stock a-pillar with speaker baffles. you are lucky it didnt expand and bend the metal. I have seen nightmares with expanding foam.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
never seen that before. most people just glass in the stock a-pillar with speaker baffles. you are lucky it didnt expand and bend the metal. I have seen nightmares with expanding foam.
Hmm, when used properly it is a great think. Since only tape was holding it in place. It would only force away from the pillar...

Net time Ill use way less. And tack the baffels in place with hot glue, and then make a cavity with tape...

I like this method because it dosent stink up the car.

Im afraid of fiber glass. Somthing about haveing a mold out of the car I can work with as easily as possible makes it easier to glass in my mind.

Here are the pods.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since this round went so bad, I wonder if it would matter much if I tightend the mid to tweet spacing. I have a lot of vehicle noise. Performance header, 2.5" piping, hi performance solid motor mounts.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Hmm, when used properly it is a great think. Since only tape was holding it in place. It would only force away from the pillar...
not always. sometimes you will have the outter layer harden before some of the liquid inside, but the inside will continue to expand and it can bend metal and break plastic. just something to consider :)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The problem with expanding foam, in my opinion, is that it is hard to get off of many surfaces. Especially paint. And no, it wasn't my doing, but unfortunately it was my car :/ (Though we did finally remove it)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a can of that stuff explode all down the back of my legs once. I had shorts on... Took me three days to get it off my legs. And I had bald spots all over the place from pulling out patches of leg hair! Worst part is that my boss at the time was trying to get some dirt out of the nozzle and was beating up against the steel ramps on our flatbed trailer. Boom goes the foam, bye-bye goes the leg hair. He didn't get a drop on him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts