DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Nissan Murano. Stock speakers are 6.5 door and a 2" full range in the corner of the dash.
I am doing an active two-way in the doors with a Scanspeak 6.5, and probably a Vifa XT25 tweeters. I am considering putting an extra set of XT25 tweeter in the dash location also. My thinking is that if levels are matched with the 2-way set and EQ'd properly by Imprint, then the dash tweeters will create a larger soundstage and perhaps bring it up a little. It would be simpler build-wise to just use the two-way set up. Any experience or opinions?

Planned System:
(Yes, I love OS amps!)

Alpine X305s w/ Imprint
ADS PS5 to XT25
Punch 75hd to Scanspeak 6.5's
JL audio 500/1 to Seas 10 with Passive 10

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've gone from sail panel to dash to sail panel and back to dash. Both times that the tweeters were on the dash, they reflected off the glass. I will never install them on the sail panel again. With the tweeters on the sails, the stage is smaller and you would have to be good on the eq to get depth. Everything is so much better when the tweeters are on the dash. The best thing is to hear them in different places to make a choice off of your own personal tastes. If you do decide to go dash, place the tweeters as far into the corners as you can. For best results, use dual 31 band eq :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put some LPG's in the dash. Tuned with Imprint. It sucked. It "complicated" the soundstage and sounded like just tweeters were in the dash no matter what I did. No go..:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
I have PPI silk domes in corners of the dash, and am happy with placement. I know they could use some EQ work, but I haven't fooled with it and still sounds good.

The only dual tweeter system I've seen was built for competition. One big reason they did it was for RTA testing, but since I didn't listen to it I cannot comment on the sound.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I run a additional amp in my truck solely for the purpose of my belief that the dash tweets are absolutely necessary.(In my vehicle) Coupled with that, without having some sort of level control, I can't get them to tune in properly. Even with a Diamond Audio HEX6-S crossover that has -2db attenuation for the tweet, was I able to achieve the proper blend. Currently I'm running them active. Conclusion would be- Its all about the crossover point and the proper level adjustment.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I need a little more info. Where exactly are your current tweets and where are they firing? Also where do you plan on putting the second set of tweets and where will they be aimed? Will you use them as super tweeters or the same freq's as your main tweets?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have heard being done, but was basically the "supertweeter". The set of tweeters in the dash was xover much higher and run with less wattage than the tweeter in the door. It was done to raise the stage. I would love to do it and have thought about getting a custom passive so I can finally run my Infinity ribbons like a super tweeter. I want to xover my Infinity set around 10K and then my normal set of tweets around 3K in my componet set.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've gone from sail panel to dash to sail panel and back to dash. Both times that the tweeters were on the dash, they reflected off the glass. I will never install them on the sail panel again. With the tweeters on the sails, the stage is smaller and you would have to be good on the eq to get depth. Everything is so much better when the tweeters are on the dash. The best thing is to hear them in different places to make a choice off of your own personal tastes. If you do decide to go dash, place the tweeters as far into the corners as you can. For best results, use dual 31 band eq :)
I agree. I moved my tweets from the dash to the sails and it just became very localized. On the dash they blended in better and made the stage wider too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts