DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi @ all,

does anybody has tested already the new Morel 3,5" Midrange? ELATE CARBON MM3 - Morel

Unfortunately they do not provide all the TSPs on the product site and i did get only additional the:

QMS 2.5725
QTS 0.4296
QES 0.5157
FS 88.7749 Hz
VAS 1,15L
Xmax 3mm

SPL / Efficiency looks terrible, so i guess it would need lot of power (in comparison to other drivers) to get some volume out of it.

Thank you for any Real Life Review / Opinion. Especially when someone made a 1:1 test against a well known driver.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ive had some in my vehicles for a couple weeks now doing testing and installation. Happy to weigh in and reflect on my experiences with them. I dont have any great comparisons 1:1 in the same setup and honestly havent been in a lot of other vehicle setups other than my own or the occasional other build I've done so take my thoughts with a large grain of salt.
You can view my build log to see my setup.

The mm3`s are more neutral sounding and less colored than other focal drivers I've used in the past (e.g. utopias, k2's). Theyre not soft and squishy though, they have a very tight and clear sound that doesnt collapse at high power levels. Some drivers will soften in a way thats not so bad at higher volumes. These seem to stay pretty accurate, and accurate sound will be unpleasant at high volume. So, I wouldnt necessarily put that as a strike against them.

I have them paired with the supremo piccolo tweeters. I chose these specifically because of their ability to go low for a mid driver. I have them crossed at 24db hp @250hz and 24db lp @2600hz on the dash with the piccolos to keep the sound stage up high and cohesive with the tweeters (i.e. not splitting the soundstage with the midwoofers in the doors). To accommodate that frequency response I had to put them in tube like enclosures with open ends venting into the dash. This sounds like a terrible idea on paper, and it is, but I deemed this the lesser of considered evils. My challenges with them are to keep a potentially aggressive 800-1kz down and to prevent booming/ringing while having them play down to 250. Thse challenges are likely a direct result of the install and what I'm trying to do with them. Based on bench testing, they should be pretty easy to integrare and tune if they were crossed higher and running ib.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thank you for the post!
Sounds like they cant play really loud? Are they dont playing lower as 250/24db?

Need much power from the amplifier to play?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I havent measured db levels. All I can say about their volume is that they play louder than is pleasant for me to listen and maybe even a little painful. I have 250wrms to them. IMO, it's not worth paying the cost of these drivers if you're not at the very least going to give them the power they want plus a little extra. Probly dont need 250, but I personally wouldnt run less than 100-150wrms to them otherwise you risk amplifier distortion at higher volumes.

I never planned to run them lower than 250hz so I cant speak to their performance lower, I just didnt set them up for that I think the 3way set with the passive crossovers hp them at 400hz. It sounds like you might be considering them in a 2 way setup. I'd think it very difficult difficult not to have a gap between the sub and these in a 2 way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately there are not enough TSP Parameters on the site to simulate them and Morel didnt answer any request of them.

I saw that the efficiency/spl is terrible, but 100W?! For a Midrange... My ScanSpeak 16W (6,5" Door) needs about 40W for Xmax. Thats way to much for just a small midrange 3,5". For example i had the Focal 3.5 Utopia M but even that didnt need more then 25W. But it whas not so good and not so loud like Scan 10F so i kicked them.

Thanks for your review! Great to read it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts