DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My bro has just bought one of the old L7 15" dual 4's, and has asked me to sort out a box design for him. The manual says 1.5 - 6 cubes sealed or ported, which is kind of a big ball park. I haven't worked out how to use winisd as i don't quite understand all the technicalities yet.

Is there anyone out there that has already researched or knows what box works well with these? He's looking for streetbass with decent quality, in a saloon (sedan) and will be feeding it somewhere between 500 - 1000rms @ 2 ohm.

Thanks in advance guys...

Gav

·
Registered
376 Posts
bigger is better, for your application, figure out what space you have and design a box to fit the space. make sure it has proper port area as well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Without measuring up, i'm guessing we could go as big as 4 cubes without losing all of the bootspace. I know how to calculate this for the build, but port area calculations and tuning i have no experience of, hence my post. I don't know what tuning will work for this sub @ around that volume. I've only ever built sealed enclosures.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Without measuring up, i'm guessing we could go as big as 4 cubes without losing all of the bootspace. I know how to calculate this for the build, but port area calculations and tuning i have no experience of, hence my post. I don't know what tuning will work for this sub @ around that volume. I've only ever built sealed enclosures.
do a google search for "winISD" get the alpha pro version, its free. you can input all the specs of the woofer and model your port and see what it will do.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a very helpfull site, thanks for the link! I tried WinISD pro but i'm not finding it easy to use tbh, probably because i don't understand the science of it all yet.

I think we are looking at around 4 cubes, any larger and he would have to build inside the trunk and he wouldn't get it out again.

I put the measurements in, and to tune to 33hz, and it gave me the port length which looked achievable, but would i build the port inside the 4 cube box, or calculate the area of the port and have to make the box bigger to compensate?

He's an impatient git, so i'l probably end up just making a large sealed until i can work this out.

Gav

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again.

Well he's just bought it to me to test, cone was very stiff and scraped when you push it, so wired it up and there's next to no movement unless i turn the volume up, and even then it scratches and scrapes. Guess he's going to be getting his money back, i doubt it will losen up at all. At least the advice on this thread will help me when he eventually replaces it!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Thanks again.

Well he's just bought it to me to test, cone was very stiff and scraped when you push it, so wired it up and there's next to no movement unless i turn the volume up, and even then it scratches and scrapes. Guess he's going to be getting his money back, i doubt it will losen up at all. At least the advice on this thread will help me when he eventually replaces it!

Cheers
Burnt coil man.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts