DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on installing the ACR1 for my LC7 behind an unused panel in my dash, but it appears I need to extend to shaft to put it through the hole, since the pot itself is too large to fit in the needed space. Any suggestions on how to extend one of these to make it work? (hopefully I explained this correctly - searched the forums several times and didn't find any suggestions) I was hoping maybe someone makes a part that already does this, with a set screw to clamp down on the existing shaft, and extend it an inch or two. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

·
(((((((In Stereo)))))))
1,337 Posts
I don't think anything like that exists ready-made. You can probably figure something out walking through the aisles of the hardware store. I would guess you could get it to work using a shaft from a donor pot and a hard plastic tube, maybe even an emptied pen would work depending on the diameter of the shaft.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think anything like that exists ready-made. You can probably figure something out walking through the aisles of the hardware store. I would guess you could get it to work using a shaft from a donor pot and a hard plastic tube, maybe even an emptied pen would work depending on the diameter of the shaft.
Thanks, I'll hit the hardware store this weekend and see if anything strikes me. A trip to home depot earlier this week was unsuccessful and finding a solution.

Extension Kit, Frame, Bush, Rod & Coupler | Hifi Collective

I just googled "potentiometer extension", and this came up
Thanks. I'm in the US, so shipping would probably kill it, but I'll see if I can find something similar locally. Maybe my prior google searches included too much, I was throwing in the words knob and shaft, which may have skewed things.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Epoxy and marine grade shrink tube might do the trick to join the two pieces of shaft together and you probably could snipe another shaft/knob from a used potentiometer.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally got the time to tear the dash apart, the the panel behind which I wanted to put the knob is of course not conducive to my plan, with the limited space allotted, so I have had to put this project on the shelf for the foreseeable future. Thanks for the information you guys provided, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts