DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Extended midbass+tweet VS Extended mid range + midbass

I'm just wondering if there are any practice differences between the 2 set-ups. What advantages does each combo have (e.g. 1 might be better in different situations than the other?)

or, if they are exactly the same.

I'm asking this generally, but lets put some specifics to it as an example:

stock midbass in doors and tweeters mounted on the dash firing up into the windshield (my case!)

example setups:

Extended midbass+tweet: ER18RNX crossed high (e.g. 3k) + Seas 27TFFNCG crossed high

vs

Extended midrange + midbass: Aura whispers crossed low (e.g. 500-1k) + Peerless SLS crossed at 400 (or say AA poly 6.5 cross at 1k? - still relatively low)

Both combos fall into the 'budget' setup i think, not costing more than $200 for the whole set. But in general I think its easier to find extended midranges and a good midbass for cheaper then the 'normal' extended midbass and a normal tweet.

i know you guys are going to tell me try them both!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so...you two seem to be saying exactly the opposite thing?

So 89grand is saying that in my case where the mids and tweets are far apart I would get better results by using an extended mid-tweet on the dash, and keep the midbass crossed low, while Glasman is saying that when the tweets and midbasses are far apart I should cross them high.??

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you had a conventional mid and tweeter, I'd say cross high, but you were talking about two different setups, and I maintain the midbass/wideband setup is better in an install that requires the mid to be down low, and the highs on the dash.
I can totally see how that makes sense. Which is why I'm going to reconsider my setup yet again.

Now, I'm talking about the difference between using a midbass and a wide band/fullrange vs a conventional mid and tweeter

And thats exactly what I was wondering - what is the trade off as compared to the conventional midbass + tweet set-up?

I guess the answer would be somewhere along the lines of 'extended midranges' won't play the highs (15khz +) as well as the traditional tweeter. And people are going to tell me whether the sonic difference between the two setups are worth the trade offs is a subjective opinion.

So that sucks, i'll just have to spend money and try them out myself : (

But. say, for a first install, would going the conventional setup be more noob friendly? easier to get better results?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.