DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever had to extend a ribbon cable? I have not tried to source anything yet. I have a old W200 with a broken cd transport. So I gutted the thing and want to mod if it possible. My car does not have a spot for a aftermarket radio, there is a spot that I can fiberglass the W200 screen in below my console. Its not deep enough to mount a unit. So only the face could work. I am putting all the pcbs in a smaller chassis that will fit under my seat.

This would give me what I need, Ipod control through the unit, and I could hook up a h701 to do all my processing. I am not sure the signal will be enough to make it through the longer ribbon, that is if I can find a ribbon long enough. If it might not be enough signal to use the extended cable, does anybody know of any king of booster I could use or a converter for the ribbon cable?

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
is it actually ribbon cable or that orange printed plastic stuff?

If it is ribbon cable you should be able to extend it. just extend it the smallest amount you need and keep all the wires the same length. I would buy some ribbon cable that gives you the number of wires you need. it will be some fiddley soldering to do it, but possible.

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it actually ribbon cable or that orange printed plastic stuff?

If it is ribbon cable you should be able to extend it. just extend it the smallest amount you need and keep all the wires the same length. I would buy some ribbon cable that gives you the number of wires you need. it will be some fiddley soldering to do it, but possible.
I was hoping that maybe there was a connector of some sorts that would join 2 of them together. I am not sure exactly what it is, its white colored, adn I just assumed it was a ribbon cable.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
I am sure you could find some connectors, but with a 1-off custom like this I would just desolder the exsisting ribbon cable and solder in a new cable.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Be careful. Alpines are VERY touchy when extending cables. A long times they don't work. I think Erin did it and find the max length you can extend the cables and still have everything work.

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Be careful. Alpines are VERY touchy when extending cables. A long times they don't work. I think Erin did it and find the max length you can extend the cables and still have everything work.
That is what I am worrying about mostly. Its about a 4" cable now, and I am expecting the signal to be too weak after I extend it 3-4 feet.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
That is what I am worrying about mostly. Its about a 4" cable now, and I am expecting the signal to be too weak after I extend it 3-4 feet.
lol, 3-4 feet? :eek: I figured you needed a few inches. I wouldnt attempt to extend a ribbon cable that far.

it might work, but good chance it wont. It has nothing to do with voltage either, the voltage is low and nearly no current, so loss is minimal. but signal timing and noise will get to be a factor going that far.

·
Registered
140 Posts
did some work with a glovebox mounted monitor (alpine). found manufacturer of flat flex cable with proper pitch, number of conductors, length etc. ...got cable free as a sample. don't think the length was too long, less than two feet? had to extend hv wires for backlight also. worked fine.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
CAT5/6 ? I've seen this used to mount an Alpine face in a console and the deck under the seat or in the trunk. Be ready to solder for a while.

Chuck

·
Registered
1 Posts
did some work with a glovebox mounted monitor (alpine). found manufacturer of flat flex cable with proper pitch, number of conductors, length etc. ...got cable free as a sample. don't think the length was too long, less than two feet? had to extend hv wires for backlight also. worked fine.
Do you happen to have a link for that? please lol, im trying to do the same with my alpine

·
Registered
140 Posts
This was around 15 years ago. But I believe axon cable was the company, as they were local...chicagoland area.

·
Registered
84 Posts
peoepl are doing this with mini coopers. they leave the face the speedo and extend the cable so they can move the radio out of the din spot. if oyu know ht epithc and count you can buy them on ebay.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If I am not mistaken, all you need is a 50 pin ribbon cable. You can order them in various lengths and patch connectors

1 - 16 of 16 Posts