DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have thought about this until I am nauseated, and I'd like to get you guy's opinions. As far as efficiency numbers go, would it be optimal to have your amp RMS output and your speaker RMS handling wattage matched exactly? At the very least, my thoughts are that it would it make for better "Apples to Apples" gain adjustment, but it's speculation.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Safest answer is to have the amps with less power than the speakers can handle. Pretty hard to blow a speaker if using less than dated power. However, if you clip the signal by turning the radio to full volume, even less power can blow a speaker.

Many also match amplifier power to a speaker’s rated power, which is pretty safe as long as you keep your radio below clipping, below say 90% volume.

·
Registered
563 Posts
It is EASIER to blow a speaker with an under powered amp, because you'll want to turn it up to achieve the volume you want and more easily start clipping.

I use the rule of thumb you always want more amp power than speaker RMS by at least 20%. You want your power to stay clean always and you don't want your amp power to limit your output.

You'll notice if you're over powering the speakers so that as a reason not to get a more powerful amp is pointless. It isn't hard to hear it. And speakers will always handle more than their RMS and be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts