DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
You’ll need the camera connection kit as well. Topping D10 is good value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hidizs S8 tested very well on AudioScienceReview; better than the topping D10. However, if you want optical out, it won’t do that.

Good value though for $80.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hidizs S8 tested very well on AudioScienceReview; better than the topping D10. However, if you want optical out, it won’t do that.

Good value though for $80.

It’s also usb c so it won’t work with an iPhone... and the optical output of the topping is way better using digital input to the dsp vs using the topping as a dac and analogue into the dsp, more detail, better staging (higher) and Imaging (more separation)

·
Registered
187 Posts
It’s also usb c so it won’t work with an iPhone... and the optical output of the topping is way better using digital input to the dsp vs using the topping as a dac and analogue into the dsp, more detail, better staging (higher) and Imaging (more separation)
It does work with the iPhone. I have it. It comes with cables to work with anything.

I wonder about the DAC differences between the helix and this piece. Would be interesting to see them reviewed on something like audio science review. Would be nice to see for car audio DSPs in general put through some sort of analysis like that which is done in home audio.

Avoiding the analog to digital conversion by the helix would be nice though regardless if this DAC outperforms the helix though (which I wonder...) So I can see going digital in on the helix being an advantage because of that.

The Hidisz DAC performs near the top of ANY DAC for home audio. It’s a pretty neat device.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
It does work with the iPhone. I have it. It comes with cables to work with anything.

I wonder about the DAC differences between the helix and this piece. Would be interesting to see them reviewed on something like audio science review. Would be nice to see for car audio DSPs in general put through some sort of analysis like that which is done in home audio.

Avoiding the analog to digital conversion by the helix would be nice though regardless if this DAC outperforms the helix though (which I wonder...) So I can see going digital in on the helix being an advantage because of that.

The Hidisz DAC performs near the top of ANY DAC for home audio. It’s a pretty neat device.

Good to know, be interesting to compare it with the topping via digital, I never rule anything out 👍🏼 The only thing is I can’t charge the phone and use that device as it doesn’t have a usb a adaptor to use it with the cck3? Or does it? Amirs review just says usb c, lightening or straight through? What’s the straight through option? Is it 3.5mm in?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Good to know, be interesting to compare it with the topping via digital, I never rule anything out The only thing is I can’t charge the phone and use that device as it doesn’t have a usb a adaptor to use it with the cck3? Or does it? Amirs review just says usb c, lightening or straight through? What’s the straight through option? Is it 3.5mm in?
Yeah, it has USB-c connection on top and then comes with several 3 inch long cables for usb-c to lightning, usb-c to mini-USB, and usb-c to USB that allow you to connect it to iPhone, Android, or a laptop. On the other end is a 3.5mm plug.

To charge at the same time, I think the apple usb-C camera adaptor is needed so you can hook this DAC to it with its USB to USB-c cable and then run a USB-c to usb cable from the camera adapter to your car’s USB port to charge it.

Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter:Amazon

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yeah, it has USB-c connection on top and then comes with several 3 inch long cables for usb-c to lightning, usb-c to mini-USB, and usb-c to USB that allow you to connect it to iPhone, Android, or a laptop. On the other end is a 3.5mm plug.

To charge at the same time, I think the apple usb-C camera adaptor is needed so you can hook this DAC to it with its USB to USB-c cable and then run a USB-c to usb cable from the camera adapter to your car’s USB port to charge it.

Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter:Amazon

That’s a cck3 I was referring to, it’s not a usb c adaptor though, it has lightening in and out and a usb a port also, no usb c to be found on it 👍🏼

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ok, so maybe the first adapter (cck3) with a lighting port out and USB port out could allow charging either by:

1) connecting a lightning to usb cable to the lightning out on the adapter and the car USB port for charging. Then the DAC would connect to the usb out port on the adapter. Or

2) connecting the DAC to lightning out port on the adapter and then use a usb to usb cable to connect the usb out port on the adapter and the USB port on the car for charging.

Not sure if this would work, but I’ll give it a try...

Sorry about the confusion

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What would you recommend for Best sounding DAC , If I wanted to go Top-tier no compromise, when using Qobuz or any hi res streaming app?

·
Registered
63 Posts
The optimal no compromise DAC is going to vary depending on what output you need. No reason you couldn't have some kind of double conversion UPS powering studio gear in your vehicle on wheels.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
What would you recommend for Best sounding DAC , If I wanted to go Top-tier no compromise, when using Qobuz or any hi res streaming app?
For me the best sound comes from less conversions and as pure a signal from end to end, that’s why I use a topping D10 to extract usb digital from a phone to an optical signal to a dsp, then all processing is done in the digital realm, then the dsp converts from digital to analogue last off to the amps

·
Registered
187 Posts
For me the best sound comes from less conversions and as pure a signal from end to end, that’s why I use a topping D10 to extract usb digital from a phone to an optical signal to a dsp, then all processing is done in the digital realm, then the dsp converts from digital to analogue last off to the amps
This makes a lot of sense. I just wish there was testing of the DACs in various car audio DSPs. If someone started publishing test results then it might push manufacturers to include better components as seems to be happening in the home audio world (and for reasonable prices).

·
Registered
734 Posts
Maybe I got a bunk D10 but I have had countless issues with mine. I would have kept the d10 because what's 100 bucks, but it is unable to stay connected to my Samsung S9+ Maybe my experience all around is the result of a bad unit?

The USB HEC presumably sends a digital signal into the DSP workspace.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Maybe I got a bunk D10 but I have had countless issues with mine. I would have kept the d10 because what's 100 bucks, but it is unable to stay connected to my Samsung S9+ Maybe my experience all around is the result of a bad unit?

The USB HEC presumably sends a digital signal into the DSP workspace.
It does but a topping is far better sound quality wise... I’ve not been able to test with my Apple device as they don’t play nice with usb hecs, but with android I was able to plug a topping and a usb hec into the usb C hub from a Samsung galaxy tab a 10.1 T515 and swap back and forth with my director

the soundstage was higher, definition between instruments was better with the topping and although the freq response was a match and levels identical I could pick out the topping every time

·
Registered
68 Posts
Topping d10 is well thought of, handy bridge USB to toslink optical.

I use Sonic Unity Encore MDSD Review - Headfonics.com

A bit more compact than topping. to get from USB to optical, As a dac analog out is also very good.

iphone - camera kit or lg v20 usb-c audioquest cable to encore to processor via glass toslink cable

the encore no longer avail but it is avail from original manufacturer nuprime

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ok, so maybe the first adapter (cck3) with a lighting port out and USB port out could allow charging either by:

1) connecting a lightning to usb cable to the lightning out on the adapter and the car USB port for charging. Then the DAC would connect to the usb out port on the adapter. Or

2) connecting the DAC to lightning out port on the adapter and then use a usb to usb cable to connect the usb out port on the adapter and the USB port on the car for charging.

Not sure if this would work, but I’ll give it a try...

Sorry about the confusion

Ok, so just tested it, and the Hidizs s8 works with the cck3 Apple camera adapter and charges at the same time. You have to use the usb to mini-usb cable to attach the DAC to the Apple camera adapter and then use a usb to lightning cable to connect to the car USB port and the camera adapter for charging.

Pretty sweet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts