DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting ready to install a stereo integrity rm15. i've got to do something about the extreme rattling coming out the back of my 2018 altima. so far i have sound deadened the trunk lid and a little bit of the rear deck. the rear deck sounds like a rusty PBR beer can dangling off a fence post next to a windmill. i have added a little bit of sound deadener but what is the best material i can use too greatly cut down on that rattling?

my plan is to remove the stock 6x9 speakers, cover the holes with sheet metal and add some type sound deadener. there's got to be something better than dynamat/second skin, noico

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Is it possible to try to find the source of it?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it possible to try to find the source of it?
the source is the rear deck. i haven't taken the cover off but installers told me there's some plastic parts in there and very thin panning metal

·
Registered
487 Posts
Don't forget about the license plate as well - a lot of time, the license plate will rattle like crazy against the car...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't forget about the license plate as well - a lot of time, the license plate will rattle like crazy against the car...
this is way more than just a license plate this is extreme rattling coming from the rear deck. just imagine dumping a piggy bank into a commercial dryer and having it mic'd up to the loudest PA system on the planet. this is ultra rattling. nissan should be ashamed of themselves using all this thin sheet. metal throughout the car

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
the source is the rear deck. i haven't taken the cover off but installers told me there's some plastic parts in there and very thin panning metal
Time Tom take the cover off and maybe get inside the trunk?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i need real suggestions for products to eliminate buzzing and rattling other than dynamat

·
Registered
491 Posts
Rather than a product as such, if it's that bad maybe it needs to be braced?

Some angle iron or similar from one side to the other (underneath, of course!)

Also, probably best not to seal the speaker holes, as if the sub pressurised the boot* that could make the rattles worse

*boot=trunk

·
Registered
899 Posts
i need real suggestions for products to eliminate buzzing and rattling other than dynamat
do as Holmes suggested, i had a 94 accord that had 2 power 15s in it and had a horrible time chasing down and fixing the insane rattling, any non rigid metal surface is culprit and should be treated,,there is stuff like resonix that is very thick and should do the job,

·
Registered
17,872 Posts
As far as better products, yeah I know a guy. For what you need to do, you need to dampen the structure borne vibration of the metal part of the rear deck using cld, then decouple the rear deck trim from the actual rear deck with ccf

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Listener of Music
3,012 Posts
In my Maxima I found most of the crazy rattling was the trunk lid shaking in it's entirety. Hold the lid tight against the weather seal no more rattle. I didn't fix it yet.

Skizer's ccf is awesome stuff for rattle prevention.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
The important part of the suggestion is that the product needs to go where the rattles are at.

It is not like vermouth, Vegemite, or nukes... where "in the vacinity of" is good enough... the products actually needs to hit the target.

Pointing towards the rear of the car, and doing a bugs bunny "that away Doc" with an extended thumb, does not a specific location make.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The important part of the suggestion is that the product needs to go where the rattles are at.

It is not like vermouth, Vegemite, or nukes... where "in the vacinity of" is good enough... the products actually needs to hit the target.

Pointing towards the rear of the car, and doing a bugs bunny "that away Doc" with an extended thumb, does not a specific location make.
i've given very specific it's the rear deck. the whole damn thing

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Here is an example of where to start...

In my Maxima I found most of the crazy rattling was the trunk lid shaking in it's entirety. Hold the lid tight against the weather seal no more rattle. I didn't fix it yet.

Skizer's ccf is awesome stuff for rattle prevention.
He actually did a laying on of the hands, and it made it stop, while the hands were on it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As far as better products, yeah I know a guy. For what you need to do, you need to dampen the structure borne vibration of the metal part of the rear deck using cld, then decouple the rear deck trim from the actual rear deck with ccf

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
what if you got a sawzall and just cut the whole damn rear deck out of where the 6x9 speakers are just cut it all out and fill in the gap with MDF and then cover it in dynamat?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
what if you got a sawzall and just cut the whole damn rear deck out of where the 6x9 speakers are just cut it all out and fill in the gap with MDF and then cover it in dynamat?
Some of those structures are actually structural and aid the integrity of the chassis, especially in torsional stiffness.

If putting paws on the shelf makes it quite then perhaps.
If it is trunk lid shakin, then a shelf removal would not help.

I am starting to assume you do not want to actually lay hands on the car?

·
Listener of Music
3,012 Posts
That actually didn't work for me when I went IB. I still had to spray foam where the deck meet the C pillars and rear glass.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some of those structures are actually structural and aid the integrity of the chassis, especially in torsional stiffness.

If putting paws on the shelf makes it quite then perhaps.
If it is trunk lid shakin, then a shelf removal would not help.

I am starting to assume you do not want to actually lay hands on the car?
vikings don't lay hands or speak in tongues. i'm sorry

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That actually didn't work for me when I went IB. I still had to spray foam where the deck meet the C pillars and rear glass.
spraying foam would be a lot cheaper than all this sound deadening material for sure

1 - 20 of 24 Posts