DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
18,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got these in the other day. Found a guy somewhat locally selling the tweeters and the 'mids' from the 2-way set. I wanted just the tweeters to test out, but he wasn't willing to break up the set so I picked up both thinking that I could stash them for a rainy day. Well, today all hell broke loose at my house build and I had to buy an IR repeater and much more stuff for the house than I thought I was going to have to buy. Long story short; I don't have the available funds I thought I was going to have to keep these.

Now, I've only had time to play with these in the house. I haven't had my car's system running in weeks now because of all the mess going on with my new house construction. I've toyed with them in the house and they sound really good. I had hoped to throw an RTA on them just to see what the FR was out of the box but I haven't had a chance.

Bottom line is this: I need some money. I'm not too keen on selling these since I haven't had a chance to really try them out, but since they're the newest, they're the first thing to go.

Here's the specs for the drivers:
http://www.alpinef1status.com/e/products/items/spx-z15m.html

Pricing:
I'm asking $640 for the set. I'm willing to separate but am asking $330 for the tweeters and $330 for the mids.
Mids: Keep in mind that the scanspeak variant of the 15w's are $440+shipping for the set. These are treated for in car use and are in PERFECT condition.
Tweeters: Missing one grille. Shows signs of mounting and no mounting hardware. Grille not needed for install. I tried to hunt one down to make the set a pair, but had absolutely NO luck. These would be GREAT for someone needing a backup for their F1 stuff or someone looking for the scan ring radiator at a steal. These are literally $400/EACH for the scanspeak version (see here: http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1580). Given their condition, I've priced them, for what I feel, appropriately. Oh, please note, too, that for that $400/each from madisound, you don't get a grille for those tweeters, either. ;)

Contact me via E-mail ONLY! Seriously, I don't have the time to get on here much at all anymore. I can, however, check email regularly from my phone so that's the best way to get a hold of me. My email addy is:
hardisj @ gmail (dot) com

Do not email with lowballs. Do not waste my time. Seriously, I've said this in my past two sales and both times people have pm'd me or emailed me asking some seriously lame questions and making ridiculous offers. I'll stonewall you if you bother trying. I don't have the time or patience for craziness. My rep speaks for itself and I truly do everything I can to answer any legitimate questions. If you have a question that's legit, don't hesitate to ask me.

Here's some pictures:

Thanks, fellas (and ladies!). :D

·
18,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, had to friggin upgrade again. one of these days I'm going to delete the pictures from the w505 review thread, because that's where the big problem is.

can't win for losing. :mad:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Hi,

I'm on my bb. Stupid question are these the 6.5 driver? If so sold.

I'll email when I get home to work out the details.

·
18,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. The 15w is between the 12m (4") and 18w (7"). The 15w is ~ 5.5". Specs are linked so you'd have to verify the exact dimensions.
I had actually thought about putting these in my wife's car and just HP the sub up to 100hz just so I could get some use out of them, but after the clusterf*ck that was today, I don't see that happening. I know someone on here said they ran the 15w down to 100hz with a steep crossover.

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
hmmm...I have some mdt 23's....and some CDM 88's...

·
18,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Normally I wouldn't mind a couple trades, but I found out this morning that my wife's work has cut their pay period by one shift... so 12 hours a pay period have disappeared until things pick back up for her employer. So, I definitely need the money more than anything else right now.

Who woulda thought a bad economy would keep people from going to the hospital? :mad:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
It wouldn't be hard to make a new grill. Take a larger grill and beat it into a mold of the right size and cut off the excess.

I really want to try these but I wonder if they could sound any better than the Piccolos.

·
18,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Honestly, I just don’t have the time to make grilles for these. If I wind up keeping them then I doubt I’d even bother. In my last ‘wtb’ thread someone said they sound better without the grille and suggested not even bothering hunting one down.

Can’t say just how they sound. I only listened for about an hour; just long enough to make sure there was nothing wrong with them and that they played 100%. They did sound VERY nice and airy but, again, that was just on some demo listening.

I’d really like to put the mids in an enclosure to see what they do but I can’t put them in my car because I’ve already got the 7” scans in the kicks; not enough room for these 5”.

I have apprehensions about selling this stuff, but unless things turn around before these go, I kind of need to.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
It wouldn't be hard to make a new grill. Take a larger grill and beat it into a mold of the right size and cut off the excess.

I really want to try these but I wonder if they could sound any better than the Piccolos.
I could answer that for you, but I'm biased as I have an obsession with ring radiators. :) I have yet to hear a tweet that sounds better than these. As long as you can get them pretty close to on axis, I don't think you'll find their equal.

Also, bump for a great seller. Freakin' shame I don't have the cash laying around as I'd buy these tweets IN A HEARTBEAT if I could. :(

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
They look beautiful on axis, but as with all ring radiators, they fall off dramatically even a little off axis. I have no doubt that they sound better so some, but I'm in love with the Morel sound. Still, I'm itchin to give them a try.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts