DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in attempt to document my upcoming install in my 03 Jeep Rubicon I thought I would get a build thread started and share my progress as the new stereo is coming together. I recently started a build thread on my 06 e46 vert and will soon start one for my Formula Yacht stereo which is also bad ass and in progress so please check those installs out as well.

So I have been building this rig since I purchased the Jeep new in February of 03 and it has come to what is pictured below. Over the years the stereo has transformed but now I want to go Alpine F1 Status.. at least as best I can modified (a joke really). Given some of the F1 Status components are now dated I have decided to go with a Pioneer p99rs hu in place of the bulky F1 gear. I have a beautiful condition 9855 I absolutely love and may keep in the rig (current hu) and hook it to a dsp.2 w/bt stream but I doubt it. I love the p99 in my Formula so I am likely just going to swap in the Pioneer I purchased.

The Rig...

Current install...

Batter's box install...

Alpine MRV F409, probably the last 'new' one in existence.. at least it was until I opened it recently to bench test and start mock up on the custom rack. Pairing a set of F1 Status spx-z18 crossovers to a set of D3004/6040 beryllium tweeters and a pair of 12M/4631 revelator mids.

console still in progress after all these years, pictured below in my 05 Rubicon Sahara (a whole other build I will document later). I also built the pods you see pictured on the roll cage above the Recaro seats.

Plan is to mount a Ground Zero Amplifier to bridge/power the SWR T10 subwoofer mounted in the center console and the Scan Speak Illuminator mid woofers in the roll cage pods. I will also have a W6 ported and tuned that is removable, the 10" Alpine is very stealth. All the work going into the setup will be top notch and will feature a billet aluminum amp rack.

I will likely have the Jeep back by February/March so I can start making some progress on the stereo install at that point. Got to go for now but I will update the thread a bit later with more of the plan and additional photos. Stay Tuned!

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well unfortunately there will not be much progress on my build until the rig is back from the engine swap however I have the F1 components hooked up in the living room and can report I am very happy with the smooth yet crisp sound this setup offers. Not over done but bright at times when you expect the sound to be, without effort I might add. It's funny because sometimes you are concerned with throwing down coin for speakers unheard/tested in the actual application however with the Scan's I know they are exactly what I am looking for for this particular install. I am using Illuminators in the roll cage pods I built just before I built the console.

Photos of the F1 gear:

Pictured below are the components for the front staging of my rig. I will be powering the mids and tweeters off the F409. The pods will allow the 12M mids to mount in the stock locations within the dash. The tweeters are likely going to mount in pods on the dash about 12-14 inches higher than the 12Ms. This will allow me to play with the staging, on vs. off axis.

I tend to go through a lot of car audio components so my wife has grown to accept a make shift bench testing station right in our living room. The front stage to my rig sounds excellent in the living room. The beryllium tweets blend nicely with the 4" Revelators.

I built this center console back in 2011 for my rig in an effort to conserve space for gear. It houses a 10" Alpine SWR T10 slimline subwoofer, still working on the locking top and it will be wrapped in black leather when completed (to match the steering wheel). While this console is still a nice feature I am about to rethink the entire rear layout to include all the new bulky equipment and still have room to swap out the rear subwoofer for the ARB FreezerFridge. One side will allow me to snap in a Recaro seat for my son the other side will allow the subwoofer to be removed and room made for the fridge when I want that option.

And here is a quick photo I snapped of the amp in my rig when I was down in Petaluma dropping off the Atlas transfer case. I am considering simply running two of these 409s to complete the system. Problem is trying to locate a matching amplifier worthy of sitting next to this one. I was planning on using the Ground Zero amplifier but now that it's in my car I have a feeling it's going to stay with that setup.

The stereo in this rig puts a whole new meaning to 'Surround Sound'. As good as the current dated system sounds I can only imagine how well this new setup is going to sound off the p99 (which is now dated equipment as well). I must say it's going to have to be one badass stereo for me to want to turn it up over the purr of the 6.2L LS3 engine.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Killer swap. Tuned in for more. Looking forward to seeing what nice equipment looks like in a Jeep. I just finished doing an if-they-steal-it-I'll-live install in my dirty TJ. It gets loud which is about all I can ask for with a soft top, KM2s and no carpet. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Killer swap. Tuned in for more. Looking forward to seeing what nice equipment looks like in a Jeep. I just finished doing an if-they-steal-it-I'll-live install in my dirty TJ. It gets loud which is about all I can ask for with a soft top, KM2s and no carpet. Good luck.

Cool! I didn't see your post originally but the rig is finally back so stay tuned for some updates.

So yes.. finally the Jeep is back! With that said the rig is not without its problems. The jackass that sold me the motor and told me he was going to build me a transmission did not use an oil pan gasket on the oil pan so the LS is puking oil. Very concerning given I now have a mystery box that cost far more to install than the actual motor itself. Going to take it one step at a time and hopefully all i am dealing with is a moron that wanted to save a dime on a gasket. Taking her down next week to get a fresh gasket installed and we need to see what is going on with a noise at startup, otherwise the motor fired up first try. Runs like shit, but fired up. Typical for LS engines if they are not going right back in a specific setup, in my case some minor tuning should get it going down the road pretty well. So need to tune then in the Spring she will go back to the shop to get the A/C lines finished up along with a number of other details that could not be wrapped up before my wallet would commit suicide this round. This project ceased at 34 months for now. Took way too long, had to finally pull the plug.

On to the stereo. For most part things have not changed although I am now working on staging and also realizing I do not want to run the Alpine SWR T10 sub, it is just not to my liking. Kinda sucks because I built the console for that subwoofer but perhaps I can figure out an alternative. The plan now is to either run the Alpine 9855 or the p99 as a front face and to play the radio but no doubt about it after having a Helix processor w/BT there is no going back to a regular HU. While I can get most of the draw noise out it is extremely difficult to be 100% efficient so by running the processor you start fresh, no interference from the gate. Sometimes you can get lucky with a car/machine but don't count on it, most likely there is going to be some very minimal interference from the receiver picking up on the vehicle and that can of worms.

So in place of the Alpine F409 I have picked up a Luxman CM-6000 which allows me to continue to hold on to my F1 build thought. I prefer the look of the CM-6000 over the F1 Status Alpine version Luxman built. The amplifier is a six channel so it simplifies some things. Also due to room I have decided to ditch the Alpine active crossover network. Given I am no longer sticking with the Alpine name throughout I am going to have to appreciate the fact that this is a short wheel base tub'd Wrangler and if I want to keep it practical for other purposes I can't have all the audio components stuffed in.

Next step is to start measurements on the mid subwoofer location and see what I am working with. I have decided to mount either an 8" or a 10" sub in a sealed box firing up just behind the passenger seat so it will need to be a SQ sub that requires minimal air space. I am exploring ideas for a 12" subwoofer mounted to the rear of the roll cage just behind where a typical rear seat would be in a Wrangler. My Jeep is going to occupy two front passengers, my son's seat directly mounted on the rear cargo rack which will sit just above the amplifier rack then I have decided to mount the ARB Freezer/Fridge full time and work with what space is left to have a tool box for the welder accessories and air tools while also having a 12" subwoofer capable to impress most anyone mounted up on the rear cage (but not as visible as you might think). Whew.. lots of stuff but it should all work.

Man with this project and my 06 vert SQ build it's going to take some time to get all the last details completed for each build but I think once I am finished both autos will not only be SQ worthy but perfectly capable of competing. The BMW sounds phenomenal and I cannot imagine anyone saying otherwise. With the tuning I have completed I know I am on to something good with that open top cabin. As far as the Jeep goes it may be even better with a full Scan surround and subwoofers close for imaging and instant response. Talk about sitting in a sound womb, 4 way surround with a ported 12" subwoofer behind you.. it's pretty bad ass to experience now so I'm guessing? I am considering doing two 8" or two 10" subs to call it full on 4way, to do that will be considerably more expensive given my OCD will make me upgrade to a pro from the dsp.2. 1", 4", 7" 10" + 12" in the rear of the cabin.

Stay tuned for some photos and more on the build. I need some sun light which is finally going to happen tomorrow! Really struggling if I want to keep the 7" set of speakers up in the JeePods I built or if I want to mount them in the kicks, cutting is simple enough but there is room to do pods up under the dash so all three options are promising and should yield swell results.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully some work on the stereo over the next few days. Unfortunately the air is cold and the ground is frozen so I only have a few hours in the afternoon to work on things outside.

The Luxman amp is going to be used to power 3 way Scanspeak and the Mosconi will power the subwoofer. I may add a class A amplifier for a second subwoofer.

While I did not want to go with a D class amplifier this amp has a SQ mode, mounts in a perfect spot and fits the look so I really hope I am happy with it. If anything I will use this as a second subwoofer amp for testing different woofers. I found out the day after I purchased the unit that Mosconi and Focal are basically one in the same so unfortunately I will not be purchasing any more Mosconi products for that reason.

I'll try and get a better update posted over the next day or two. I sure wish I had a warm garage right about now.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Wait a minute, let me get this straight. You are saying that luxman made amps for Alpine?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wait a minute, let me get this straight. You are saying that luxman made amps for Alpine?

Yes, Luxman made some Alpine amplifiers, I guess approx 30 years ago, (don't know exactly which one) when Alpine stuff was made in Japan and before Luxman stared to build car amplifiers with its own name.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Just like ScanSpeak did a number of speaker units for them as well durning that era. Alpine went to the best for sure!

I have always been an Alpine guy and say what you want but I still turn on my Alpine setup in my 05 Rubicon Sahara and man it sounds good unprocessed (CDA 9855 hu). If the rig were not up for sale currently I would go all out on the stereo but sadly I have to shed some machines from my army.

If Jeep sells I'm probably keeping the Pods I built. Hard top needs to come off so I can remove the pods and run those pesky speaker wires.

New amplifier I bought for a boat but never installed. Going to push that JLW6 with it for a while and have some fun.

Asking $14,900 for the rig and I have a 5.7L Hemi w/545rfe transmission (33,700mi) to go with for my build that I didn't get to move forward with.

So back to my LS rig..

I have decided to go with Hertz for the subwoofers on this build and run a 3 way Scan setup in the dash. I am now back on with using the active Alpine 3 way crossovers and plan to mount one of the units in the glovebox and the other behind the driver's side dash. dsp.2 will be mounted in the center console and I may replace the Alpine subwoofer with something else for those times when I want need the rear cargo area and have to remove the Hertz subs. We will see in time what I come up with for that location.

There is plenty of room on the backside wall and I have a bracket I made to mount a JL 750HD amplifier I had in there years ago so that will be perfect to mount the dsp on. The slot for the ebrake will give me a slight visual down to the dsp for connectivity purposes.

Still a toss up as to whether I would like to reinstall the Alpine 9855 hu or leave the current p99 in there. Only reason at this point I would like to leave the p99 is the fact the iPhone can charge off the unit, the Alpine has been in the dash since September 2005.

Tweets will be located in this region of the roll cage, now to get crafty with the install.

So I have a pair of Hertz ML1650.3 going in the Pods. I think I will use these for a while before I build the pods for the 7" Illuminators. I have plans for the Hertz later in another install and in time the pods may be used to power accessory sound or rear fill.

And here is how we sit at the moment. Lots to do back there like design and build a customized rack, make the Mosconi amplifier bracket and build a new box for the Hertz ML2500.3. The Luxman amplifier is going to mount on a rack where it sits now for simplicity and the focus is squeezing in the ML2000.3 just behind the driver's seat.

I know, I know for some of you out there probably like 'fk man this guy is out of control', and I'd have to agree, but I almost have everything pieced together for both this audio build and my 06 SQ vert build and then the primary focus will be to get the two build's installs completed. I am going to work out of my boat garage and get most of the boats out of there. Until I get a new place I have no garage and trying to get work completed in these temps is next to impossible. If lucky I will have my audio builds done by end of 2020, this shit takes forever man.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am not dreaming of a White Christmas but that's what I get. Work around the table is about all I can progress with.

Likely just going to keep the looming in basic black given the interior is black and it will blend better for clean install. Some places it tucks nicely but in areas where the looming is exposed it just goes well with the interior look.

Shielding for the power supply and 0 gauge power.

So far so good with my grounds in the rear of the vehicle. I had two good seatbelt locations near each amp so I am not even sure if I will run the 0 gauge ground wire now because I don't think it will be needed. Original plan was to ground the 0 gauge and run to a post or block but may not fix what is currently working.

Working on the power supply now so I am going to mount the Premier Power Welder box on the driver's side of the engine so that plate in the floor will be what I use to incorporate the unit with the location. The alternator is heavy duty by design so this thing is a running power mill just above idle. I also have a York compressor on the drive belt to operate the air lockers and power air tools, etc. The front bumper is an air tank so helps with reserve.

Still need to mount the battery and PPW box.

And finally the crossover units. I am going to mount this one in the glove box and illuminate it when you open up to take a peek. They are fine looking active three-way units and deserve to be recognized. What can I say, I like to protect speakers from a possible dsp glitch. These units also give good instruction on phase alignment/correction so that might be fun to play with spite the dsp. This is a F1 Status hack job after all, lol. man how things deviate.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Thanks for the Alpine info, I am a huge Alpine fan myself. I told my wife if I ever were to get a tatoo it would be the ////Alpine logo! Great build love the plot twists.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts