DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was officially my first day of what will be a simple SQ set up in my 2006 F150 Supercrew. I received the final piece of the puzzle Friday. I say "Start" because it's going to take me a few weeks to install culminating with my good friend Shane coming in to visit from Atlanta the first week of December.

System will consist of a Alpine CDA-117 HU, HAT's new Unity components, Massive-Audio NX5 and a bunch of FatMat deadener. I'm going to be building/modifying a center console subwoofer cabinet for (2) 10" woofers and still integrate the armrest. ...I say today was the start, I ran my power through the firewall and along the middle of the cab, built and painted my amp board, took out the rear seat of the truck where everything will be mounted. I'm also planning on building some tweeter pods out of some pvc to mount up and back on my dash.
I'm be posting as I move along with the process. Tomorrow I think I'm going to start on the tweeter pods..trip to Home Depot...one question I have in regards to the tweeter position...should they be aimed at me or away...I guess that's on axis of off...I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to that.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
What are those woofers in the pic? They look beefy!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What are those woofers in the pic? They look beefy!
They are beefy...they are from a DIY home subwoofer that started life as a Polk audio dual 10's in a sealed box with a 1000W partsexpress amp...I'll look closer to see if there's a brand or model..I don't remember where I got them...7 or so years ago...There are just what I had laying around...I'll see how they sound but new subs weren't in the budget

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got some decent work done today..got my back wall Phat Matted..I also consulted with my buddy and we are going to forgo the tweeter pods and try and keep the tweets as close to the mids as possible. here are a couple pics of the deadener.

My little helper

This was my first time working with Fat Matt product...I must say it was a piece of cake...I started out using my Heat gun but quickly went to a Hair Dryer and that worked great!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gonna keep an eye on this. I have an '03 F150 HD supercrew I'm looking to do a stealth install this coming Spring.
I'm really anxious to see how my subwoofer/center console turns out, I haven't started it yet...it's just in the design faze right now. I took out my "center" Jump seat, that's where the sub box will be but I still want to use the folding stock top console..

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
My truck came with a rear center console, but because it is a limited edition I don't want to modify it and am looking to build one that looks just like it. There was a thread, either on this site or another one, that a guy had build a very nice center console sub box with 2 10" subs firing down. I have been looking for that thread for 2 weeks and have not found it yet.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Lookin' good, Michael!

Can't wait to hear it!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No new pics, but I did make a purchase today. I've got some Q-logic kick panels coming..I had planned on fighting with the Molex connectors but after research on here decided to take the easy way out. I do plan on modifying them with some deadener and maybe a Tupperware bowl enclosure..so now I wait!! I'm hoping the weather this weekend will be good. I've got an appointment Friday for my HU install (free instal) they are going to drop the rca's and remote turn-on when they have my dash apart.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey Mike,

I had a look around...and posted up a thread of my old-school stuff that you've seen. You will no doubt recognize the Saturn rig!

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...o-question-dumb/117686-new-guy-saying-hi.html

I did a bad thing too - I ordered up some Q-forms last night as well for the V-Tec (That's what I am going to call it from now on, Yo. It just kicked in, Yo!). Even though I know how to build-em from scratch, and I know how flimsy Q-forms are stock, I can't get over how -awesome they look...so I'm going to fiberglass the back-sides. :laugh:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well a few things to report today. On Friday I had my Alpine CDA-117 HU installed...local dealer had it on sale at about the same price a Ebay with free install..all went well and let me say that it far exceeds my expectations!! I can't believe how good the factory speakers sound now...that just means when I do get the system it's going to sound excellent indeed.
My Q-forms arrived on Friday...they sent the wrong color but I got such a good deal I'm just going to keep them and spray'um I may have a slight problem and maybe a fellow F150 owner can chime in...on my Passenger side kick area I have a big ass fuse box which is not leaving me much room for the qforms with speaker..I may need to do a minor relocate of the box if possible
I did manage to finish all my cable runs to the back wall and started one of the qforms. I'm going to cut the openings I need then paint them light grey before Phat Matting them, most likely tomorrow.

cables run

Fuse box issue

Hard to see in this...but on the left is the qform without speaker

Love the Dremel!!

and oh by the way...found out my truck DOES NOT fit in my garage...bummer..LOL

·
Registered
274 Posts
I dont know if you planned on this or not but, I would put some modeling clay on the back of the q-forms kickpanels to add weight. It will make a significant improvement to the sq. I am very interested in this build......keep pics coming.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Looking good, Deviate2112.

Looks like the cutting of the Q forms went well.

Can you pull the cover off of that fuse box and gain clearance?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm on it tomorrow...I'm hoping to finish cutting the holes and start painting them..before I do i'm going to do a dry fit to see what kind of room I have..and ya, take off the fuse cover..here's hoping it'll be enough!!
Looking good, Deviate2112.

Looks like the cutting of the Q forms went well.

Can you pull the cover off of that fuse box and gain clearance?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dont know if you planned on this or not but, I would put some modeling clay on the back of the q-forms kickpanels to add weight. It will make a significant improvement to the sq. I am very interested in this build......keep pics coming.
I'm going to be Fat Matting the back sides of the Qforms after I paint them...some time this week I'm hoping

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got some decent work done today in between watching the Lions...(it's all tied up at the moment)
I finished cutting the mid holes in the qforms and painted them up...I used some plastic primer then hit them with a flat grey primer...then finished them off with a clear to give them a little sheen..they were a little flat after the primer coats. I also got my back wall carpet on and ran the wires through some hole...and mounted my amp board.
Upon further inspection I think the Passenger qforms with the Fuse cover off will fit. I'm going to deaden them this week with some Fat Matt and possibly mount the drivers. I'm going to surface mount the tweets. .

primer stage

A little clear action...still wet

That last pic is to give you an idea of the factory color...I think it turned out good...I painted the one factory piece (passenger side) that is going to be attached to the qforms...
Back wall Amp board..

·
Registered
238 Posts
Looking good, Michael...nice progress.

That was smart to paint he adjacent factory plastic pieces. That gives ya the fade...like Vanilla Ice had on the sides when he was rollin' with in his five-point-ohhhhh

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did a little work today...getting so close but just so busy...and with darkness coming so early..I'm having issues getting things done.
I deadened the Q-forms..hooked up the x-overs..I do have some questions to the DIY Gods..

Ok..here is my question...I have these things called "Boom Matt" they are to be placed behind a midbass driver..they are supposed to help with sound...I'm thinking of mounting them on the q-forms behind the midbass driver...here are a couple pic's

You can see in the second pic...they foam sticks out just a bid...I would trim that bit off..put some silicone around the foam and q-form..then screw the speaker/foam to the Qform..what'cha think

and last a pic of the xovers mounted...it was getting too dark to clean up the wires..tomorrow between Lions game and dinner maybe..

1 - 20 of 51 Posts