DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Should an F3 be used/considered in determining where to set crossover points?

I'm installing a set of 6.5s in an undersized sealed enclosure (3L) which will result in an F3 of 107hz as opposed to 80hz if I could swing an ideal enclosure (14L).

My HU has HPF settings of 25, 32 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, or 250Hz.

By 100hz I'll already be down 4db, and by 80hz I'll be down 8db.

I'm guessing either of those would be fine.

I don't have a sub at this point but will be adding one soon, so I'm not concerned about the low end loss. Just trying to wrap my head around the HPF setting.

It doesn't matter, but they'll play up to component set x-over point of 2k hz, before 2" ers take over.

Sorry this is long winded - this is probably my 10th install, but last one was 15 years ago so I'm brushing off the cobwebs.

· Registered
90 Posts
just set it to what sounds best

i usually set it really high, play some Bass Mekanik up pretty loud and start lowering the xover point until its too low, then raise it a bit

· Registered
461 Posts
I would start an octave above the F3 and then try to blend the sub. You want to avoid the higher excursion that could make the other 4 octaves the speaker plays sound worse, the shift in phase that can happen around F3 and impedance peak that will reduce output.
I've found that in some cases a smaller driver might perform better.

· Registered
3,070 Posts
It is the stock dash location in Jeep Wranglers. I don't have much wiggle room.
use smaller 5" midbass driver (3 litre enclosure will be small even for 5" driver), or find a 6,5 driver with Qts under 0,6 and use aperiodic membranes....that is the only solution that will sound good with such small enclosure

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.