DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Bikinpunk

Here's the specs I measured using the Dayton DATS.

Funkin Audio

FASL250- 10"
* Piston Diameter = 205.7 mm
* f(s)= 37.01 Hz
* R(e)= 2.49 Ohms
* Z(max)= 8.30 Ohms
* Q(ms)= 3.461
* Q(es)= 1.482
* Q(ts)= 1.038
* V(as)= 26.980 liters (0.953 cubic feet)
* L(e)= 1.06 mH
* n(0)= 0.09 %
* SPL= 81.54 1W/1m
* M(ms)= 106.40 grams
* C(ms)= 0.17 mm/N
* BL= 6.45

FASL300- 12"
* Piston Diameter = 251.5 mm
* f(s)= 29.61 Hz
* R(e)= 2.48 Ohms
* Z(max)= 8.03 Ohms
* Q(ms)= 3.207
* Q(es)= 1.432
* Q(ts)= 0.990
* V(as)= 67.390 liters (2.380 cubic feet)
* L(e)= 1.13 mH
* n(0)= 0.12 %
* SPL= 82.76 1W/1m
* M(ms)= 148.50 grams
* C(ms)= 0.19 mm/N
* BL= 6.92

FASL380- 15"
* Piston Diameter = 315.0 mm
* f(s)= 29.61 Hz
* R(e)= 2.57 Ohms
* Z(max)= 10.06 Ohms
* Q(ms)= 5.094
* Q(es)= 1.748
* Q(ts)= 1.302
* V(as)= 163.400 liters (5.771 cubic feet)
* L(e)= 1.13 mH
* n(0)= 0.23 %
* SPL= 85.74 1W/1m
* M(ms)= 150.70 grams
* C(ms)= 0.19 mm/N
* BL= 6.42

FASX250- 10"
* Piston Diameter = 218.4 mm
* f(s)= 35.66 Hz
* R(e)= 3.94 Ohms
* Z(max)= 13.09 Ohms
* Q(ms)= 2.514
* Q(es)= 1.082
* Q(ts)= 0.757
* V(as)= 33.260 liters (1.175 cubic feet)
* L(e)= 1.78 mH
* n(0)= 0.13 %
* SPL= 83.34 1W/1m
* M(ms)= 118.20 grams
* C(ms)= 0.17 mm/N
* BL= 9.82

FASX300- 12"
* Piston Diameter = 251.5 mm
* f(s)= 34.32 Hz
* R(e)= 4.08 Ohms
* Z(max)= 13.67 Ohms
* Q(ms)= 2.737
* Q(es)= 1.164
* Q(ts)= 0.817
* V(as)= 56.400 liters (1.992 cubic feet)
* L(e)= 1.86 mH
* n(0)= 0.19 %
* SPL= 84.81 1W/1m
* M(ms)= 132.10 grams
* C(ms)= 0.16 mm/N
* BL= 9.99

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sent Erin a sub yesterday.
He should have it by Friday or Monday.
Then he has to find the time to test it.
He is testing them for me for free, so I am going to be extra patient.

ANT

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Damn you and your patience Ant! lol.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
For those that might not remember this brand, I may be able to help. I as actually sponsored by FA Mobile when I went to Epsilon. The owner is avery close friend of mine and we worked together at Mitek in the mid 90s together. Anyway, these parameters are definitely unusual at first glance, or at least I think so. FA wanted to be kind of Old School with separate subs for bass reflex and acoustic suspension enclosures. Nowadays we know alot more manipulating a transducer than we did even a few years ago. If anybody needs some guidance or enclosure design assistance, I would he happy to help. I will start my new job next Tuesday and have a long drive down there Monday, but should still be able to reply pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
What size sealed box would you reccomend for a SX10 (FASX250)
Good question. This is a perfect example why the FA Mobile drivers are a bit hard to understand at first glance of the parameters. FA Mobile would have told you that the SX is strictly for vented boxes and the SL are strictly for sealed boxes. I never agreed with this. I used this FASX250 driver in my SEMA show truck. I chose this driver because it did exactly what I wanted it to do in a sealed enclosure. lol

At 1 cubic foot (28 liters) the driver performs it's best imho. With moderate damping, you will get a Qtc of .846 and an F3 of 44.09Hz. This is pretty low for 10" sealed enclosure. Most 10" go in .5-1 cube, so this is on the larger side, but the lower Qtc, transient response and less air spring really allow the driver to be impressive.

If you are thinking about this driver and chose a sealed enclosure because you are focused on small size, the driver will not disappoint with a Qtc of 1.014 and an F3 of 50.73. This is still very respectable. I like my F3, assuming a decent Qtc, in the 50-55Hz range, but not higher. It is difficult to get it lower without a massive enclosure.

If you chose to use this driver, please remember this tip...

The larger enclosure of 1 cube is 3.5dB louder than the smaller .5 cube enclosures and 4dB louder at bottom frequencies. My point is that you could use one sub in 1 cube and be as loud, but considerably smoother, than 2 subs in 1/2 cube, assuming the same input power.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Grizz - What size sealed box would the SX380 be good in?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Cool. Another member mentioned trying theirs in 1.75 and 2.0 cft sealed and said the 2.0 sounder better. Seems to fall inline with what you are saying about the 10.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Cool. Another member mentioned trying theirs in 1.75 and 2.0 cft sealed and said the 2.0 sounder better. Seems to fall inline with what you are saying about the 10.
Exactly. If you go by the generic standards, then you get what you get. But since these drivers are kind of unique, a little more air yields alot better results. Personally, I like all my boxes oversize because I love the sound of an over-damped enclosure. The transient response is unparalleled. So I typically use smaller drivers or less drivers than most people would. For the last 6-8 years, I have had a small sub fetish. I have not used anything larger than an 8". I like 10" as well. I hate 12" because they are boring to me. Give me an 8" or an 18"! lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
...Hope this helps...

Absolutely. 1 cubic foot is easy enough, now I just need to find the driver displacement info...

Also, I was messing around and put them in a ported prefab box to test em. They handled my PC2350 bridged running 10hz, 20hz and 30hz test tones at FULL POWER. Easy way to make sure my internal fan is working on the 2350 also :D

Here is a dumb question, what is the easiest way to avoid having the jumper wire rattle against the sub body? I have my coils wired in a series, and the jumper wire from one coil+ to the other coil- is making audible noise (can hear when playing the subsonic frequencies)

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Absolutely. 1 cubic foot is easy enough, now I just need to find the driver displacement info...

Also, I was messing around and put them in a ported prefab box to test em. They handled my PC2350 bridged running 10hz, 20hz and 30hz test tones at FULL POWER. Easy way to make sure my internal fan is working on the 2350 also :D

Here is a dumb question, what is the easiest way to avoid having the jumper wire rattle against the sub body? I have my coils wired in a series, and the jumper wire from one coil+ to the other coil- is making audible noise (can hear when playing the subsonic frequencies)
If you give me these measurements, I can give you the displacement:

Overall OD
Mounting OD
Flange Height
Mounting Depth
Motor OD
Motor Thickness to bottom of basket

Alot of baskets have extra holes you can zip tie the jumper wire to. If not, you can use one of the spokes. You can also use a rubber/silicone sleeve around the wire where it hits the basket. make the wire as short as possible to keep it taut as well...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Exactly. If you go by the generic standards, then you get what you get. But since these drivers are kind of unique, a little more air yields alot better results. Personally, I like all my boxes oversize because I love the sound of an over-damped enclosure. The transient response is unparalleled. So I typically use smaller drivers or less drivers than most people would. For the last 6-8 years, I have had a small sub fetish. I have not used anything larger than an 8". I like 10" as well. I hate 12" because they are boring to me. Give me an 8" or an 18"! lol
Haha. I just had a convo with a coworker last night about not being fond of 12's either. I have always liked 10's and 15's. 18's would be great but box size has always made me shy away. But 12's I have just never liked. I am running a single 8 right now but am switching to a single 15. Either this SX380 or my RE SE15. My initials are RE so that sub has a slight advantage :D. Also I have run it before in a 1.75cft box off 600w and I really liked it. I shoud be able to swing 2cft but not much more without getting very creative and I have 500w on tap for either sub. 2 cubes is my goal but I know I can get the 1.75. Only time will tell which I end up with.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Do you damp the boxes? The difference is radical. A sealed box, imo, is light years better with damping. And I do not mean a little bit, but a fairly stout amount...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Yes I do.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Cool, well if you see the specs before me, send them my way and I will get on it for you. Not only that, but if you get me the full parameters of your RE driver, I will give you a direct comparison via simulation with pros and cons of one vs the other...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Cool, well if you see the specs before me, send them my way and I will get on it for you. Not only that, but if you get me the full parameters of your RE driver, I will give you a direct comparison via simulation with pros and cons of one vs the other...

I will do that Grizz. probably tomorrow though. I am trying to get off this computer so i can get ready to go out to the Monster truck show out here at Firebird raceway.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts