DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
18,510 Posts
I spent about 2 hours testing the fasx-380 multiple times, with each test pushing the sub just a bit harder in order to resolve all the parameters. Ultimately, I couldn't resolve the suspension limiting component of linear excursion at 20% THD but it didn't matter because both Bl and Lx resolved before that. That said, here are my results...

Funkin Audio FASX-380 | Medley's Musings

Linear excursion for 20% THD (subwoofer standard) is limited by the motor at 8.4mm one-way.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Erin - I see you only tested the subs ts params with only one coild hooked up. If both were hooked up would some of the TS params change?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ok, so those of us (me :))that have no idea what those graphs mean and can only input the parameters into some software to find the best enclosure...do they tell us anything out of the ordinary or anything jump out at you for the SX380 15". Grizz?

Now I can build an enclosure for it and give 'er a go with some nice power. :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
What the hell. Two different programs are telling me the optimal enclosure sizes are ridiculously huge for the 15.

Using the acoustic suspension calculator on DB Dynamix Audio, it's telling me optimal size is 35.3 cu.ft. :eek:

Same site, but off axis vented this time...it says 29.8 cu.ft. @ 17hz.

??

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
That is because the numbers posted by Erin are with only 1 coil in use. When I tested mine with a WT3 for both 2 and 8 ohm configurations WinIsd suggests 2.7 cubes for a QTC of .707. 2.5 has a QTC of .743 iirc.

Also iirc your numbers seem like what I remember getting from the open and shorted single coil testing numbers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
With the upcoming sale I was thinking of snatching up a SX10. Anyone know if this would be a worthwhile upgrade from my Boston G310 for SQ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok, so I jumped on the bandwagon and picked up a pair of SL15s. Having a hell of a time trying to figure out what kind/size of box to build. Size is not really a limitation, this is purely for a garage/barn stereo. The QTS is what's throwing me. In this post, and others, it's listed as 1.302. This gives crazy results when thrown into box design programs. In other posts, I've seen it listed at .52, which seems more reasonable. Which is it, and/or does anybody have opinions/experience with these? Thanks!

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/data/2184963/a/a9/a90b42b9_FA-tsp.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Ok, so I jumped on the bandwagon and picked up a pair of SL15s. Having a hell of a time trying to figure out what kind/size of box to build. Size is not really a limitation, this is purely for a garage/barn stereo. The QTS is what's throwing me. In this post, and others, it's listed as 1.302. This gives crazy results when thrown into box design programs. In other posts, I've seen it listed at .52, which seems more reasonable. Which is it, and/or does anybody have opinions/experience with these? Thanks!

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/data/2184963/a/a9/a90b42b9_FA-tsp.jpeg
I know the driver well. Yeah the Q is a big different, but I have designed some really high q drivers for specific reason in the past. In a car that driver is sealed enclosure specific. However, in a big area like yours, there are other options. It will get stupid loud in a vented enclosure, but for a vehicle, the size is a bit ridiculous. But if you have real estate for larger enclosures, you go vented and get good results. PM me if you want to discuss further…

21 - 31 of 31 Posts