DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I use foil tape bc it's thicker than masking tape , resin doesn't stick to foil well, and it withstands heat better than masking and especially duct tape so when the exothermic reaction occurs, I'm not left with a sticky goopy mess from tape adhesive break down.
I'll have to remember the foil tape next time I fiberglass anything, that goopy mess from masking tape is a real pain to clean off and just annoying.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
I'll have to remember the foil tape next time I fiberglass anything, that goopy mess from masking tape is a real pain to clean off and just annoying.
foil tape costs a bit more, but Walmart, HD, Lowes all have it. But also saves several steps. Instead of messing with sheets of foil, you can get a better form with tape.
Just overlap 1/4" to prevent any bleed through of resin. then I rub it down really well. and you you mentioned, adhesive residue is a pain to remove, especially on carpet.

side benefit, when you remove it, it leaves the carpet super clean!! picks up any little debris that may be missed by vaccums.

Reactions: naiku

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I think I actually have a roll of it kicking around in the garage somewhere, although might have used the majority of it on various projects. Still, I'll definitely use that stuff in future for any fiberglass projects, just thinking back to the last thing I made and how long it took picking bits of blue masking tape off everything and even then it leaving the sticky crap all over the back of the enclosure.

Fairly sure I have a fiberglass project coming up in the near future, although what's in my head may be outside the level of skill I possess, but little tips like this will at least make it easier.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts