DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noob here, first post.

1997 Town Car with the premium audio package, factory 10 Disc Changer and shitty sub/amp. I have plans to put a good system in, but my first question is about the CD changer. I've tried a few types of discs, even off the shelf cd's, and it always says "Bad CD" on my HU and nothing plays.

I may try to clean the lens or something, but if that doesn't work, can I just toss in any random aftermarket CD changer in the trunk to replace this thing, or do I need the exact OEM replacement? I just want to make sure that whatever I get can be controlled by the head unit, which is more or less just an interface, the actual head brains are also in the trunk, it's a system I'm unfamiliar with.

I'll be asking for plenty of advice in the coming weeks, but this is my first question. Thanks in advance for any accurate info regarding this. :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Most likely you need the factory CD changer to run it. It's possible other changers of the same brand will work (I believe a bunch of different Honda stereos can interchange changers) but you can't just grab an Alpine CD changer and try to plug it in... the plug won't fit :(

·
Banned
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. I think I'll just try to clean the laser and if that doesn't work I'll just mainly use USB media for storage and disconnect the stock changer. Is there any consensus on the best way to clean a cd laser without buying some kit, like just using windex and a microfiber cloth or something?

·
Registered
112 Posts
You need factory, which unless you get one used for cheap, or find it in a junk yard, its probably not worth its cost, so i would plan to find a new headunit...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts