DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Factory Head unit digital out?

5K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  maxxx 
#1 ·
Quick question: Is it feasible to modify a factory CD head unit to bypass the D/A converter to an added digital output?

Explanation: I want to use a modded DCX2496 with the volume controls from mbcouple. The reasoning is that the result would be better than a aftermarket headunit in processing and let me keep the factory steering controls--not to mention keep a stealth look.

Thanks!

#4 ·
Any progress on that issue??? I just read the thread as I have messed around with this issue on several factory HU's a few years ago and could never get what I wanted for an output, then again I was justy a lowly tech, not an engineer. I will have to see if I still have the repair manuals for the units around here. Hmm, no luck yet, cannot even remember where I got them from.

The all in one DAC/volume control, etc, chips were interesting to try to decipher with just the repair manuals, I did however test all suspect pins for a bit stream but could not find an active one.

Rick

#6 ·
Sure would be great to have that option for all these new cars with such integrated factory units, a good digital output to feed what ever fancies our taste and budget:):)

Thanks, have a great day tomorrow!
Rick

#7 ·
Since you were comparing the chip in the S624 changer with optical output...

Do you know if the newer S634 changer or any of the HUs, like 9815, can be converted for optical output?

#8 ·
raamaudio said:
Sure would be great to have that option for all these new cars with such integrated factory units, a good digital output to feed what ever fancies our taste and budget:):)
Indeed...

FocusInCali said:
Since you were comparing the chip in the S624 changer with optical output...

Do you know if the newer S634 changer or any of the HUs, like 9815, can be converted for optical output?
Werewolf might be able to tell you with a service manual... Just ask him if he would be willing to look it over if you send him one... He has done great write-ups over @ ECA of several HU's & Proc's

#9 ·
Thanks for the link to the eca site. I knew you guys would have that base covered.

I second the desire for digital outs on factory stuff.

What part does the transport play in the output of the digital signal? I assume that, other than the d/a converter, that is why the home hifi cd players cost so much.

#10 ·
Now, I know this is an old post, but figured I would respond to it instead of starting a new post.

I have a 2011 GTI that I installed a VW RNS-510 nav in that I want to keep. It is built by Continental and I have no clue what chip is inside, too afraid to open just to see, but if I can add a toslink out I will.

Just wondering if the Headunit that werewolf/lycan was referring to in the other post on Hybrid Audio was the same unit.

I plan to do this to use a bit one digitally. What sources are output digitally? I assume just CD/DVD?

Thanks.

#11 ·
take it apart, write down chip markings, google them up. If you are lucky, you'll find a dac chip. Dacs usually eat i2s format bus which consist of 3-4 wires - masterclock, bitclock, left/right clock, and data. You'll need the last 3 - then you connect them to spdif transmitter (wm8804/5, dit, cs chips) and thats all. Maybe you can get finished kit from twisted pear of such transmitter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.