DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was stripping flooring for further deadening I found this.

This is power outlet for auxiliary heater. Cables that are around 5 awg go to the main distribution block at the battery. Didn't check fuse rating yet but I would really like idea of using that outlet to power my amp.

I know it would be far from proper install .. but that would save me a loooot of time.

Any comments/bashes on that ???

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just one .. kenwood kac-x4r. It is rated at 4x75. It is fused at 60A .. if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To check wire for heat huh? You are scaring me now. Don't want to be called smokey ..

I was actually considering putting that amp in glove compartment. With that cables so close it would make even more sense.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took me a while ... but did check it. Wire goes directly to main fuse block placed next to the battery and it is fused at .... :D 80A which is more than needed. I am surely going to use that wire.

Still not sure about that ground cable... :confused: Should I make new (short cable) ground to chassis ???

Thank You for all replays

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
if the ground cable is connected to a solid place (it should if the power is fused for 80) then you're good to go without all the hassle of running any wires. i wish my truck would have had a pigtail that i could have tapped off of.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was like finding money in your winter coat pocket a year later.
;)
That is exactly how I felt.

With my ride it would be real pita to run new wire. It is really tight around engine and I would have to disassemble whole windshield wipers assembly to get to firewall. Battery is in such awkward position that it takes special tool (really tiny ratchet wrench) to disconnect ground.

Considering all that I am even happier :D.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts