DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one for the stupid question column...

I have always tried to use existing/factory mounting positions whenever possible. Mostly so that I have a stealth installation and (knock on wood) as a result have never been robbed.

I have been wondering if those stupid perforated plastic panels/screens are causing interference in the transmission of the sound waves? (this question is referring to those screens for the tweets/mids/mid bass in doors and dashes)

Anyone want to chime in on this one? I am sure there are all sorts of "Physics" that go into selecting these materials to begin with (ie factory engineers actually taking this into consideration) but I have seen some pretty stupid engineering decisions when it comes to different aspects of car design... I know I am not the only one... do you think these guys care? my guess is no considering the crappy drivers they put in in the first place.

So should I remove these screens? and if so, what materials should take their place?

Thanks

-J-

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Just used a dremel and cut a good six inch circle out of my door cards took some black grill cloth and a plain black mesh metal grill and i can tell sound is much more open and little more detailed.
I say go for it at the worst you'll just have to do a little fab work to get it to look nice.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i cut out mine over my mid and tweet and the sound was alot more balanced.i think the hard plastic changes the sound quite a bit.the plastic causes sound to reflect back and cancel the sound waves,worked out for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts