DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone! My 18 y/o daughter is in the Army and being deployed this coming February. She recently bought a 2020 Nissan Altama. It's the lower end model. All she wants is to add some bass, 馃ぃ. As I will have her car for the next nine months, I thought I would surprise her when she returns.

I'm very capable, as I have a completely active 3-way system in my truck. I am no way headed this way with her car.

I've been out the loop for a year or two, but this is what I was thinking. Knu amp kit and damping for trunk.

For sub, I have an IDQ 12, but figured I'd give her a little more output. Maybe the new 12" SI SQL, Fi SSD, or SSA ICON. I can do ported or sealed. I'm open to suggestions.

The amp is throwing me. I would like to keep the price under $300. I don't have experience with ported boxes, but assuming I could go better amp with less power. I've had good luck with NVX and Alpine amps in my truck.

I'm assuming I can use a simple line out converter or the LC2i. There's absolutely no information on the web discussing the factory tune.

Any suggestions?

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
I have a feeling that once I install this, the factory highs are going to suck and here we go again. Probably should install distribution block while I'm at it to prepare for the future.

Registered
Keep it simple IMHO, she's 18 and wants more bass. If she's a SQ/SQL person then yes plan for the future but if she's just a casual drive around and "crank it up" listener I doubt she'll want more out of her system.

Most factory components are pretty good these days with more power/wattage from the HU and better materials used in the speakers.

Another thing to take into consideration is how much bass she wants and how much space she's willing to give up in the trunk. I would hate to have someone install a system for me and be surprised at how little was taken into consideration (my personal preferences on how I like and use things)

Example: If I look in the trunk and see a huge ported box that takes up 1/4 of the trunk when I usually use the majority of the space in the trunk frequently.

Sorry if my previous statements/examples sound harsh, I'm not trying to sound that way, I'm just trying to clarify things and help.

But from all the information given taken into consideration, I would keep it cheap, simple, and space conservative.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Absolutely not being harsh, that's why I posted. I have a hard time putting cheap. I will speak with her about trunk space. This was her idea, I'm just going to take care of it and pay for it. Considering trunk space was the reasons I picked the subs listed. Honest leaning towards the SI SQL with 1.0 sealed or 1.6 ported. If ported, I'm just not sure on the amp and if I can go lower wattage. I' ve read its suggested RMS sealed is around 1000W.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Keep it simple IMHO, she's 18 and wants more bass. If she's a SQ/SQL person then yes plan for the future but if she's just a casual drive around and "crank it up" listener I doubt she'll want more out of her system.

Most factory components are pretty good these days with more power/wattage from the HU and better materials used in the speakers.

Another thing to take into consideration is how much bass she wants and how much space she's willing to give up in the trunk. I would hate to have someone install a system for me and be surprised at how little was taken into consideration (my personal preferences on how I like and use things)

Example: If I look in the trunk and see a huge ported box that takes up 1/4 of the trunk when I usually use the majority of the space in the trunk frequently.

Sorry if my previous statements/examples sound harsh, I'm not trying to sound that way, I'm just trying to clarify things and help.

But from all the information given taken into consideration, I would keep it cheap, simple, and space conservative.

You made a good point. I have a new plan, she doesn't want any rattles. I have an old pair of ID 10's in the closet, which I can start with one sealed in small box. I found some RF 500 and Alpine 500 watt amps on Amazon for pretty cheap. I'll focus my money on deadening and wiring, giving her the ability to easily upgrade later.

Thanks for the advice!

Premium Member
I think you've come around to the right track with the ID10s. Especially if you think she'll want to keep the rest of the system stock.

On the sound treatment front, I would take a look at ResoNix.

For grabbing signal, I would skip the LC2i. These have a built-in fixed "subsonic" filter. I believe it is around 33Hz. Also, before you do anything, you will want to confirm how you will grab signal, and whether or not that signal is full range. Once you know for sure, we can certainly help direct you to the right product. In the mean time, I would have the following on my "short list":

Zapco ASP-OEB
Zapco ASP-OE2
Wavtech link2
Wavtech linkQ
Wavtech bassFREQ/RESTOR

Registered
Even for most modest upgrades over stock, the ID subs will do fine. Installed a single Peerless 10" XXLS auto sub in my daughter's sedan along with JBL GX speakers front and rear with only a small 5 channel for power. She was thrilled with the result. Adding a good sub(s) like what you already have to a stock should be plenty when dialed in. I wouldn't bother going with anything more powerful

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

Registered
I use stinger roadkill sound deadener it works really well for me and less expensive than other brands. I agree to use an amp that has hi-level inputs instead of a LOC (you can always add one later and save $ now) plus you have time to experiment. Also for a first system, most people prefer a bass knob, you might look into options for one.

as stated above, the ID10's would be great for a simple install for adding more bass to a stock system. and its easier for a minimalist/stealth custom enclosure with 10's.

My mind goes straight to re-doing the trunk floor board with a custom sealed-fiberglass box and adding grills to the subs with recessed edge with grills for a flush mount. But the trunk on that Maxima may not be capable of this kind of enclosure depending on its design. But this way you'd be utilizing the "dead space" underneath the floorboard. I've always wanted to do an install this way but never found the right combination of equipment and space (for my sound preferences). But for a average person with lower expectations (I'm assuming) I think it would be plenty.

If that is the case I'd be SUPER happy with an install like that and very appreciative because there was pretty much 0 compromises that were made since it added bass to my system and utilized dead-space that (for 99.9% of people) is never used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts