DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 chevrolet Silverado. I have a Dayton Audio Dsp as well. I will not be competing, this is purely for my enjoyment. However, I have accumulated some nice equipment over time. My question is, will there be any real advantage to an aftermarket unit vs the factory if I'm using a DSP.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2016 Silverado that I am acquiring parts for as well. One of the main things I wanted when I started planning, was to retain the factory head unit. I really like the features and how seamlessly everything works. I have the Bose system, and as it turns out, it is easier to interface with factory hu. I have a PAC amppro to bypass the Bose amp and send a clean signal to my dsp.
There are some guys on here that have used the amppro without Bose with good success, although I think there are a few little quirks. I know this doesn’t really answer your question but if you like how the factory stereo works now there are options to keep it and have a good sounding system.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
In general, it depends. I've gone through this in 3 cars now. In 2 of them I ended up giving up on the OEM HU and replaced it. The 3rd car it was impossible to replace the HU (too much integration) so I lived with it. The biggest issue was just trying to get a good interface to aftermarket equipment. Even if they were connected there was always something that just wasn't right that you couldn't get around whether it be high noise floor or not enough output voltage so you had to crank the gains on your aftermarket equipment way up or balanced diff outputs not being compatible with aftermarket gear I already had. It was always something. The 2nd reason was that at the time the aftermarket HU had additional features to offer that were still not available in OEM. I think in the first car it was bluetooth (this was over 20 years ago). The second was car was the one I left the HU in because it was not possible to replace it but things minor things like no volume level display did get a little irritating. On my current car, it was wireless apple carplay. In the 2 cars I did replace the HU I would say I noticed a big improvement in SQ on 1 (the older one) but not so much on the current car. So its kind of a toss up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts