DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
LSI:

Note: Sometimes the Klippel goes haywire regarding the coil in/out axes. I've already talked to Klippel about this and they will address it. The results don't change and it doesn't affect what you see OTHER than you need to flip the "coil in/out" axes around. That's it. Period. Klippel told me the same.

Xmax Distortion limiting parameters:
  • Bl = 2.2mm (most limiting factor)
  • Cmin = 2.8mm

Bl has a coil in shift of about 0.41mm throughout it's excursion.
Supsension has a coil out offset of about 0.97 (at rest) to 0.89mm (full xmax).

Attachments

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
I should have an interesting 5.25" driver for you to run through soon Erin. The more I play around with the various pro audio offerings the more I like what I see/hear. :)

Thanks as always for taking the time to test/write/report all of these details for the benefit of the forum.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I've had an interest an these for a while now, but that HUGE spike in distortion @ 3k concerns me. What's going on there?

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I've had an interest an these for a while now, but that HUGE spike in distortion @ 3k concerns me. What's going on there?
My guess is some sort of surround resonance. It showed up in my tests as well but not as a spike this tall. That's probably due to the smoothing I chose.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
My guess is some sort of surround resonance. It showed up in my tests as well but not as a spike this tall. That's probably due to the smoothing I chose.

Did you notice the spike at 3k with your ears? Didn't you end up crossing these over just under 3k?

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Did you notice the spike at 3k with your ears? Didn't you end up crossing these over just under 3k?
I have been crossing at 3.13Khz or thereabout mostly due to CTC spacing requirements. That means the speaker should already be -3db down at that point. I couldn't tell you whether I hear the peak itself, I can't take it out and put it back in to know how it sounds like. The experience is more of the speaker as a whole. I suppose if I had a really well trained ear I could tell how 2nd order distortion at 3khz sounds like apart from the rest.

Equally important the top distortion points for the Faital are near HP (200hz), and where the EQ. boosts the most (630hz) before the 3khz bump. It's a third order issue in my install. It may even be that the tweeter distortion is still higher than the mid at 3khz. Either way, Faital could have done a little bit more to cure resonances.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Here's what I mean:

That's an HD plot of my car with very little smoothing (1/96th). The Faitals cover the portion from 200hz to 3.1khz. 600hz or so is probably the worst, that' my car's acoustics because I have to give it a lot of EQ. The next second part is 350hz-160hz. That's all driven by the motor. The 3.1khz is not really an issue.

The basic point is that in application EQ. and and HP filter make the most difference when it comes to the load on the midrange. I would much rather have more cone area right now. That's Faitals best trait, best cone area per 100mm frame.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Thanks, it makes it easier to follow with a plot. That small flange makes all the difference in the world when it comes to pillar mounting. It's literally a game of millimeters up there. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts