DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
^^^^ What he said is spot on. I have two pairs of the AMT mini's (8 ohm version) and they don't play well below 5k. On the positive side of things, you shouldn't need to cross them over below 5k if handing off everything below that frequency to the Faitals.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Wow, I totally abandoned this thread and just noticed it again for the first time, lol. Apologies to anyone asking questions that I never responded to.

To answer manish: I think they would be fine at 200-250hz. I get a lot of natural gain around those frequencies (I assume because of the placement on my dash), so you results might be different. There's no reason I can see to cross at 1khz to any tweeter with these drivers. Anywhere from 3khz to no filter would be appropriate depending on your taste. I've noticed in testing that harmonic distortion tends to rise and peak out around 3-4khz which may be causing some of the "shouty"ness, however (a) I never really trust my in-car HD tests, and (b) using the appropriate crossover filters and tweeter levels gets rid of the issue.

In case anyone is wondering these are still in my car and sounding great! Besides the crossover filters I think I have one or two simple EQ cuts per side and that's it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wow, I totally abandoned this thread and just noticed it again for the first time, lol. Apologies to anyone asking questions that I never responded to.

To answer manish: I think they would be fine at 200-250hz. I get a lot of natural gain around those frequencies (I assume because of the placement on my dash), so you results might be different. There's no reason I can see to cross at 1khz to any tweeter with these drivers. Anywhere from 3khz to no filter would be appropriate depending on your taste. I've noticed in testing that harmonic distortion tends to rise and peak out around 3-4khz which may be causing some of the "shouty"ness, however (a) I never really trust my in-car HD tests, and (b) using the appropriate crossover filters and tweeter levels gets rid of the issue.

In case anyone is wondering these are still in my car and sounding great! Besides the crossover filters I think I have one or two simple EQ cuts per side and that's it.
That's great to hear, I'm was looking at these to fill the void between my sail mounted tweeters and door mounted 6.5" mid-bass woofers. If these go to 400 comfortably mounted up beside my tweeters then I can have my tweeters take over at 3-4k where you say they start to lose their nice sound.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I hope that is a typo since those AMTs can't really do much past 5-6k.
yes it is...lol good catch. i have the new lg v10 and the keyboard is still learning. but i assume based on the responses that 5k is where i would want to x-over on the 3FE22 to eliminate any issues.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just ordered a set of the 3FE22 8 ohm versions to fill the gap between my Morel Ultra Tempo 602 6.5" and 1" drivers.

When I get them I'll update here with some response graphs while I decide on mounting location within the car. Still not sure if Tweeters will go in the sails and Faital's in the corner of the dash firing up at the windshield or vice versa with the Tweeters in the dash corners and Faitals right below the sails aimed slightly up and towards the driver.

·
Registered
897 Posts
waiting on more updates. I just got a deal on a pair of intimid8tr's so now my setup will be those 8" in the door (99 dodge durango), with the 3FE22 and DA AMTPOD-4 tweeters. Am i correct in assuming the "pushy" sound can be eliminated if a person mated them with a nice tweeter to take over that region? Also, i was looking at the 4ohm versions, are the 8 ohm version better?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts