DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other thread on this subject was about a year old so I thought I'd put up a new one.

The below link from Yahoo Auctions Japan shows a new set with the "X-250" clearly printed on the manual cover. There are a few different guys there trying sell them. Legit companies have the real versions at much higher prices which is to be expected.

DYNAUDIO/160mm????? - Yahoo!??????

I almost fell into this trap until I ran across the thread on this site! :)
I knew nothing about this prior. Great community here.

·
Classic cars & McIntosh
846 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
System 220 have been superceded a couple of times now, each time with a new crossover. The crossovers in the 220 were X220's (naturally) and had push on terminations (you got a bunch of crimp lugs with blue and red plastic boots for them), not screw type terminations like the ones in your ebay link. The other thing i've noticed (or rather didn't) was the cutouts/folds in the box itself for the drivers. Another way to tell whether they're fakes or not.
I'd not trust these to be the real thing. I've seen the real thing, having owned a System 220 for 12 years.

·
Classic cars & McIntosh
846 Posts
System 220 have been superceded a couple of times now, each time with a new crossover. The crossovers in the 220 were X220's (naturally) and had push on terminations (you got a bunch of crimp lugs with blue and red plastic boots for them), not screw type terminations like the ones in your ebay link. The other thing i've noticed (or rather didn't) was the cutouts/folds in the box itself for the drivers. Another way to tell whether they're fakes or not.
I'd not trust these to be the real thing. I've seen the real thing, having owned a System 220 for 12 years.
Supersize the pics. That System 220 has X-280 crossovers which would not come with that set. I've also never seen an X-280 that looks like that. The ones I've seen have a silk screened crossover diagram on the top and the terminal numbers are different. The seller just posted a bunch of other Dynaudio, Scan Speak, and Seas Lotus stuff.

Dynaudio System 220 WLO 5.25" Component Speakers:eBay Motors (item 290321569243 end time Jun-09-09 12:30:00 PDT)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is another set just like the ones I posted a couple days ago.

DYNAUDIO/160mm????? - Yahoo!??????

I read that another way you can tell is by the shiny speaker surround of the "fake" as apposed to the duller color of the original. Here is a pic from a legit seller and you can see from the pics the duller color I am speaking of.

DYNAUDIO?????????? SYSTEM220WLQ?AWI? - Yahoo!??????

Another original (I'm thinking about bidding on these)

???? DYNAUDIO 13cm??????????????? MW-150 - Yahoo!??????

This can also be scene on the mobile solutions link when you scroll down for a frontal view.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
X-250 is the part number for the crossovers. It doesn't necessarily mean the set is fake. I owned a set of the System 240 MKII and my manual also had "X-250" printed on the cover.

This one looks kind of suspicious to me. Does anybody else notice anything strange about this set?? ;)
Dynaudio System 220 WLO 5.25" Component Speakers:eBay Motors (item 290321569243 end time Jun-09-09 12:30:00 PDT)

According to the Mobile Solution site, the sets titled as "Dyanudio X-250" are not the real deal.

FAKE DYNAUDIOS ON EBAY
"To make this simple for everyone, any pair of Dynaudio System 240 MK2, often described as Dynaudio X-250 (which is actually the crossover, but remember these are people who sell fake products on ebay for a living, so they are obviously not going to be candidates for MENSA membership) will almost certainly be fakes. If they are are coming out of Hong Kong, this increases the likelihood tenfold. These models have not been available for nearly 2 years now."

mobile audio solutions

So I decided to contact this seller via telephone. I got a Chinese answering machine using a Japan based cell phone number. Via email I was told that the product would be delivered through an international service and would be coming from China!

These guys are also selling the fake Focal 165KP2(?) sets as well. Incredible!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Close up photo you posted of the MW150 terminal shows glue on it, keeping tinsel lead away from shorting on basket. Usually a good sign the'yre legit. Some actual real Dyns don't have it, some do but i've not seen a fake that had it. Not to say they don't though. I don't trust photos of the surrounds being "shiny" or "dull" because you can never be sure of the lighting the shots are taken under.

If you have any doubts over Dyns, and I've done this before, contact the seller and ask for more shots of them, including the voice coil leads at both ends, mounting holes on mids, the actual box they come in without the speakers in it, rear of tweeter etc. If they won't send them, forget it. Or just go with a reputable dealer and you'll have no doubt they are the real thing. Not "reputable" from China either, as you've found out.

If you're sold on buying from something like eBay, choose someone who has very good feedback and lots of it. There are US sites selling Dyn sets at present that might be worth checking out. Even with postage to wherever you live, your likely to save money. The other piece of advice I can give you is keep a copy of the advertisement for the sale because if you buy them ( Use paypal for extra safety) and, hoping not, they turn out to be fakes, you may well be able to recover your money. (With a bit of luck!)

One related thing is I feel for companies like Dynaudio and others, who through no fault of their own, lose sales because of people trying to make a quick buck by riding on reputations built up over many years by these decent companies making great products.

Sorry for the long rant. Hope it all helps.

Just my 2c.

Cheers,

Shakes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.