DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
04 Land Rover discovery
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for false floor advise…I’m going to build a 4-5in deep false floor across this floor pictured. It will house 3 amps. Mounted upside down on standoffs. Question 1: the floor curves down by the doors. Ideas on how to deal with that? Question 2: I’m thinking of removing the carpet to make a little more room for the false floor. The carpet is pretty thick. Any reason I should t do that?
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Hood Sleeve Gesture Finger Bumper

·
Registered
69 Posts
Pics of where the floor curves at the doors?

The only reason to not cut the carpet would be resale. If you're not worried about it, the go for cutting the carpet, I'm sure you'll gain a lot of extra space. Most European cars have a fairly thick foam attached to the back of the carpet.

Make sure that you securely attach it to the floor. It would suck for something that big and heavy to become a projectile in an accident / rollover.

Reactions: Calebreynolds

·
Registered
04 Land Rover discovery
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Steering part Mode of transport

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design
So that’s one of the amps resting towards the down slope.
The other pic is for reference. The nvx will be swapped out for dsp enabled amp

·
Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,368 Posts
Can I ask the obvious? Why not make a false floor for your cargo area instead? Maybe I'm wrong but your idea seems like an incredible amount of work. And your making the step into the vehicle 4"-5" higher and putting more bend in your knee when sitting in the rear because the floor to seat height is now 4"-5" shorter. Just thinking out loud...

Reactions: Calebreynolds

·
Registered
04 Land Rover discovery
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Good question. So this is an off-road rig that we camp out of. The cargo area is getting drawers. And I’m trying to keep as much cargo area as possible.

AND, in this location I can bolt the rack through the floor. In cargo area, fuel tank is in the way

·
Registered
04 Land Rover discovery
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. so I've re-drawn my plans and figured out a way to mount the rack in the cargo area that will still allow for drawers.
Also, I can bolt it to the wheel wells. Though I rather bolt to the floor in case i get hit from the side.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'd thought of something similar, for security reasons as well as keeping boot (trunk) free.

We have a dog hammock in the back seats, so nobody can easily sit there anyway, thought I'd have maybe 2x 8"s one side and amp(s) another

·
Registered
69 Posts
Have you pulled the carpet yet to see how much space you would gain? I'm guessing it's almost the thickness of your amps. You'll also get an idea of how much of that curvature is your floor vs the foam padding. I know that Baltic is hard to find/expensive, but you could use a thinner board of baltic as your floor if it is braced frequently.

Is the area under the seats out of the question? Any room under the arm rest/console? It kind of seems like you could benefit from sticking the amps anywhere they would fit. Is there any space between the trim panels and the body in the cargo area? I understand the desire for a "clean" install, but in the case of a camping rig, out of the way might be more valuable.

Where abouts are you?

Cheers!

Reactions: NW JLUR

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
You can do kerfing on under side of mdf/birch ply and bend it, but you will still need to make top flat to be able to secure amp in place.

You could do this curved part out of fiberglass

1 - 9 of 9 Posts