DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a G35 coupe and my trunk is super small. Mosty it's just really shallow. I want to take out my spare and lower the floor first and then I'll build a subwoofer box to fit nicely in the corner. For the in I'll be using either mdf or some good material but what should I use for the floor? I've heard people use mdf too but if I can use plywood to keep costs down and not affect sound quality I will. Does it matter since the floor isn't part of the sub box?

I might eventually cut open the floor so the box can go deeper in my trunk without he taking up more space but I haven't finalized my design yet. Any tips or suggestions? I think I'm going to go with the image dynamics IDQ12 D4 v4 or the ID12D4 if there isn't a huge difference in sound quality

·
Registered
175 Posts
If the sub is not going into the lower build why are you lowering the floor??? amps etc are not that tall, i would make a raised floor and check out a box from these guys? 256 Motoring

and keep the spare

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the main reason I'm lowering the floor is because I would like a functional trunk and never use the spare. Since I have 19'' rims my tires can get to 10 psi(and have unfortunately) and not even look flat. That and it would be much easier to fit a 12'' speaker. That site doesn't make an enclosure for my car and they also spelt Infiniti wrong. I've seen custom enclosures made for my car and they are usually always 10'' enclosures and are also out of business by now

·
Registered
889 Posts
Check this build out http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...y/147058-2004-g35-coupe-trunk-renovation.html

Bing has done a few of these, maybe you can get a few ideas?

With the link I posted, are you having the sub off to the side, in a fiberglass enclosure?
If so you should need to lower the main floor anymore than it is, I would keep it factory height. Where do you plan on mounting the amps? If you don't need the spare I would build a false floor the same height and put the amps on the false floor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check this build out http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...y/147058-2004-g35-coupe-trunk-renovation.html

Bing has done a few of these, maybe you can get a few ideas?

With the link I posted, are you having the sub off to the side, in a fiberglass enclosure?
If so you should need to lower the main floor anymore than it is, I would keep it factory height. Where do you plan on mounting the amps? If you don't need the spare I would build a false floor the same height and put the amps on the false floor.
That's a pretty cool build. I got my inspiration originally from this thread.

Custom Trunk Build with Pics. Advice/Opinions. - Page 6 - G35Driver

He did it all out of MDF which is what I'll end up doing. I can work with wood but I've never dealt with fiberglass. I'll be mounting the amps on the floor but I'm not sure if I'll be showing them off. I didn't know they made 4080 enclosures that fit 12'' speakers in the coupes. That's why I was going to build my own box. I figured while I was at it I might as well take my spare out and lower the floor. I hate how high it is and would really like a functional trunk. It's too shallow to fit even a cooler.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Did you begin the project yet?

If not, I recommend removing the interior trunk panels first to see available mounting space. In some cases, there will be unused vertical space in the rear quarter panels. You may be able to custom make an aluminum bracket to mount all equipment. Amps mounted vertically in this location with optimal heat sink cooling direction will have better air flow and not be subjected to particulate matter or liquid spills that can and often do occur from normal trunk use. If you have ever taken out the spare and vacuumed the trunk bottom you will understand. Amps with integral fans can be made smaller, but easily ingest debris. This is why OEM's never mount equipment on the trunk bottom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts