DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about how I'm going to mount my new amps (BTW, the Powerbass amps are sexaayyy) and the only two options I can think of are behind the rear seat in a false wall or under a false floor. 1/2 inch plywood should be sufficient for either. I'm leaning towards the floor since it gives mr plenty of room to add another amp in the future and it'd be easy to vent, however the extra weight of the plywood has me worried. Can anyone chime in that's done this or give me other options. Whatever I do, I need to leave the spare and access to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Im kind of doing the same thing but fibreglassing a sub box in my spare tire (under a false floor, Mazda3 sedan). My plan is to raise the floor with insulation sheeting (pink stuff for walls) and use the factory particle board floor ontop to make it stealth.
Not sure how much weight u plan on having on the floor tho, that would probly make the decision on how thick of plywood you need.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What vehicle do you have? Isnt your Powerbass amp small? What about under driver or passenger seat?
Kia Forte. I have an ASA 600.4x and 400.2x. No way to fit them under the seats. I'll have to check for sure tomorrow though.

·
4,981 Posts
Whats a false floor? ;)

the key to false floor, well the most important ones, are to:

1. make sure you have all the space you need to mount stuff, from the sounds of it you do.

2. IMO raising the floor by more than 3" on MOST cars make the false floor kinda pointless, the idea is to retain space and to make it look stealthy, but if you raise it too much it becomes very obvious what you have done.

3. by far the most important thing is sorta think from the bottom up. meaning build a foundational board of some type, this will anchor your entire build and everything can be secured to it. this way, you minimize the amount of holes you have to cut into your car to secure everything. so it is absolutely KEY to make sure this board is at the correct level and orientation as the stock floor. if this board is tilted in anyway, by the time you get to the top, the effect will be dramatically increased.

basically, when i do fake floors, and i have done a few, i start off with this board ,it could be board, or it could be a spare tire well enclosure...but basically, this thing is flat and will be bolted to the floor, then the supports, platforms, more supports etc all brances off of that, and then eventually, it holds up the top floor. make sure to plan ahead accounting for the ultimate height you are looking for...nothing worse than getting to the top and realized you spaced everything out too high or too low...

anyway, just my two bits :)

b

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Kia Forte. I have an ASA 600.4x and 400.2x. No way to fit them under the seats. I'll have to check for sure tomorrow though.
Definitely check into it. That would be much easier that making a false floor.

I have an Elantra. Similar to the Forte. I have the JL Audio XD amps mounted under the seats but they are smaller than your PB's.

Could also mount to the back seat

Or trunk sides

Or on the sub box
-no picture needed-

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely check into it. That would be much easier that making a false floor.

I have an Elantra. Similar to the Forte. I have the JL Audio XD amps mounted under the seats but they are smaller than your PB's.

Could also mount to the back seat

Or trunk sides

Or on the sub box
-no picture needed-
Your trunk looks absolutely identical. Do you have more pictures of your install?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Whats a false floor? ;)

the key to false floor, well the most important ones, are to:

1. make sure you have all the space you need to mount stuff, from the sounds of it you do.

2. IMO raising the floor by more than 3" on MOST cars make the false floor kinda pointless, the idea is to retain space and to make it look stealthy, but if you raise it too much it becomes very obvious what you have done.

3. by far the most important thing is sorta think from the bottom up. meaning build a foundational board of some type, this will anchor your entire build and everything can be secured to it. this way, you minimize the amount of holes you have to cut into your car to secure everything. so it is absolutely KEY to make sure this board is at the correct level and orientation as the stock floor. if this board is tilted in anyway, by the time you get to the top, the effect will be dramatically increased.

basically, when i do fake floors, and i have done a few, i start off with this board ,it could be board, or it could be a spare tire well enclosure...but basically, this thing is flat and will be bolted to the floor, then the supports, platforms, more supports etc all brances off of that, and then eventually, it holds up the top floor. make sure to plan ahead accounting for the ultimate height you are looking for...nothing worse than getting to the top and realized you spaced everything out too high or too low...

anyway, just my two bits :)

b
Excellent description of how to do false floors. I'm half way through mine, and I'll throw up some WIP pictures when I have enough posts to be allowed to do so.

One thing I did is bond threads to the metal trunk floor, then I'm using bolts with spacers on each one to adjust the height of the base floor. I can level it out easily just with how thick I make each spacer.

I personally have a car with a massive trunk that can afford to lose the 3 inches of height, and I plan on housing lots of equipment to do a car computer build on top of the amps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts