DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at some of the false floor installs in the links below and really liked them. I have a 2008 VW R32 with a JL stealth box on the side along with 2 alpine pdx amps. My amps are just screwed down to the spare tire cover. Surfing the net I found this article which was a DIY.

How-to-Guide: Building a false floor with amp window & neon - Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum

The OP said it takes him about 2-3 hours to make one.

Long story short I went up the local car audio shop and asked how much it would be to build a false floor similar to the ones below with just two amps and they told me around 900.00. Does this sound reasonable because I thought it was a bit much? I would love to do it myself but I just don't have the tools.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-build-logs/46269-low-powered-sq-install-mkv-gti.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-build-logs/47312-one-more-mkv-gti-sq-install-pics.html

·
Registered
118 Posts
is that along with the install of the amps and the wiring? because realistically a shop will charge for both amp installs, the materials, which add up quick, like the plexi window and wood and the cables for the install. Find out how long they would need the car for. that usually helps, because at my old shop $60 was the hourly rate so i quoted custom car labor on a 600 a day deal. I could build and install that stuff in less than a day. but if you use that as a baseline 600 plus 2 amps worth of cables, say stinger maybe, like 150 then rcas 100, then mdf 40 then plexi window 20 and you are round about 900 bills.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is that along with the install of the amps and the wiring? because realistically a shop will charge for both amp installs, the materials, which add up quick, like the plexi window and wood and the cables for the install. Find out how long they would need the car for. that usually helps, because at my old shop $60 was the hourly rate so i quoted custom car labor on a 600 a day deal. I could build and install that stuff in less than a day. but if you use that as a baseline 600 plus 2 amps worth of cables, say stinger maybe, like 150 then rcas 100, then mdf 40 then plexi window 20 and you are round about 900 bills.
Hi dovogod, thanks for the input. My amps are already installed. Everything is wired and working. No wires required. All that needs to be done is put in the false floor. The shop said they would need to car for no less than two days.

Looking at the DIY article I linked, I just don't see how it could take so long?

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Hi dovogod, thanks for the input. My amps are already installed. Everything is wired and working. No wires required. All that needs to be done is put in the false floor. The shop said they would need to car for no less than two days.

Looking at the DIY article I linked, I just don't see how it could take so long?
Go to more than one shop. Each shop will have different talent and different techniques. Some installers have a nice design/technique and have mastered an efficient build time. If you just walk into any shop and ask them to duplicate someone else's custom work, it's not likely they have done that same design before and it will take them some extra time to put it together.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Red! First off, as one newbie to another, hello. Second, I may not be the best authority on false floor creation (oi, mine definitely isn't pro, let me tell you), but you can do a semi-decent job with a jigsaw, a sharpie and a few hrs + imagination than pay someone $900+ . I created a false floor with absolutely NO woodworking ability, a $20~ jigsaw (corded vs. cordless; go with corded. Much more power, much less "GD it, I thought I had this charged!") and $20-$30 worth of MDF. I had so much MDF to start with for under $20 that I had to have Home Depot cut it in to pieces so I could fit in in my back seat to take it home. I have enough for 2 false floors, and I messed up the first one! Go slow...MDF, facemask and jigsaw first. Leave the carpeting/vinyl/plexi until after you've found your way around. You'll have a LOT more fun with the MDF and you have the pride factor to boot.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go to more than one shop. Each shop will have different talent and different techniques. Some installers have a nice design/technique and have mastered an efficient build time. If you just walk into any shop and ask them to duplicate someone else's custom work, it's not likely they have done that same design before and it will take them some extra time to put it together.
You make a good point. I did go to two different shops. Both have been around for some time. They are not starting from scratch where they have to conceptually visual something and turn it into reality.

Building a false floor shouldn't be too difficult for an installer that does this for a living. Especially not after reading that DIY article, it looks really straight forward.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Red! First off, as one newbie to another, hello. Second, I may not be the best authority on false floor creation (oi, mine definitely isn't pro, let me tell you), but you can do a semi-decent job with a jigsaw, a sharpie and a few hrs + imagination than pay someone $900+ . I created a false floor with absolutely NO woodworking ability, a $20~ jigsaw (corded vs. cordless; go with corded. Much more power, much less "GD it, I thought I had this charged!") and $20-$30 worth of MDF. I had so much MDF to start with for under $20 that I had to have Home Depot cut it in to pieces so I could fit in in my back seat to take it home. I have enough for 2 false floors, and I messed up the first one! Go slow...MDF, facemask and jigsaw first. Leave the carpeting/vinyl/plexi until after you've found your way around. You'll have a LOT more fun with the MDF and you have the pride factor to boot.
Hi DeconIV, thanks for the advice. I talked to a buddy of mine and I think we are going to give it a go next weekend. I was willing to shell out around 500.00 to get it done but after reading up on this forum and a couple of DIY articles on the net I find 900.00 a bit hard to swallow. I will be sure to post up some pics when finished.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Well, you NEED tools, period. you also need shelter and time, that's it, from there on out DIY it's easy, just get a vision and go for it. I did my floor in my hatch by scratch and a vision, no biggie.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, you NEED tools, period. you also need shelter and time, that's it, from there on out DIY it's easy, just get a vision and go for it. I did my floor in my hatch by scratch and a vision, no biggie.
I talked to a co worker of mine and he has all the tools and I got a garage.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
I was going to say for $900 it would probably be worth your while to purchase tools!

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
yep, then you will have a false floor and the beginning of a great addiction (tools)
I purchased a Porter Cable 693 for $180 and I am currently waiting to see if Home Depot places the Makita Hypoid saw on sale soon. If not, I will probably go with a Milwaukee Worm drive.

Living in the pit of hurricane grand central has taught me that Black and Decker just doesn't cut it:( I went cheap the first go round, and I am buying again (buy cheap, buy twice). Regardless, for less than $500, I should have some tools that will last me 15 years or longer;)

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
B&D has some diamonds in the rough, I have this little wood-hawk circ saw that has been thru hell and back, works great. I would not call their whole line gems by any stretch but they make a few cool durable things.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
B&D has some diamonds in the rough, I have this little wood-hawk circ saw that has been thru hell and back, works great. I would not call their whole line gems by any stretch but they make a few cool durable things.
I got a B&D snake light that works really well. Yea, I am just going to borrow some tools and tackle it myself. I had one of the stores build me a custom box with an amp rack and that cost me over 900.00 as well and it came out like ****. It sounded good but looked like crap. My wife was pissed and didn't want to pay them. I paid them any way but every since then I am leary of shelling out cash for custom stuff that looks like poo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts