DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

181 - 200 of 247 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
What kind of function are you looking for and where do you want it to go?

Honestly, I don't really do this stuff for money... :p
Nothing is free. Just to attach to the console and I can pull it out when I want to take it out. If I remember right you had a mount in your cupholder. Which would be perfect

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Nothing is free. Just to attach to the console and I can pull it out when I want to take it out. If I remember right you had a mount in your cupholder. Which would be perfect

Here is my current in the Jeep

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Damn, those are some "high maintenance" screws! LOL

All that polished aluminum matching the port (and screws) is going to look killer!
I know, I feel like I got screwed!

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #185

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Not much to report, just a sign of life...

The box is getting a second skin of 3/4 or 1/2 birch plywood. There won't be much bracing, so I want it solid as rock! ;)

The cut out is for the wire terminals, I wanted them to be flush with the back of the box, so they'll be recessed. Also, the LED's will have a USB female plug embedded in the box (facing down) in the spot that I didn't round over. I thought this would be much cleaner than just wire hanging out. All of the LEDs wires will also be embedded in the wood, nothing visible anywhere.

Notice how the joints are staggered. All of the joints are super tight, but JUST IN CASE there is a second panel covering the joint. :D I should increase my OCD meds dosage... :cool:

Can't wait to you use this enormous round over bit! It will give the back of the box the exact radius of the acrylic in the front.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Not much to report, just a sign of life...

The box is getting a second skin of 3/4 or 1/2 birch plywood. There won't be much bracing, so I want it solid as rock! ;)

The cut out is for the wire terminals, I wanted them to be flush with the back of the box, so they'll be recessed. Also, the LED's will have a USB female plug embedded in the box (facing down) in the spot that I didn't round over. I thought this would be much cleaner than just wire hanging out. All of the LEDs wires will also be embedded in the wood, nothing visible anywhere.

Notice how the joints are staggered. All of the joints are super tight, but JUST IN CASE there is a second panel covering the joint. :D I should increase my OCD meds dosage... :cool:

Can't wait to you use this enormous round over bit! It will give the back of the box the exact radius of the acrylic in the front.

Didnt want wires hanging out everywhere? You do realize tie wraps and duct tape fox anything right?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #189 (Edited)
Didnt want wires hanging out everywhere? You do realize tie wraps and duct tape fox anything right?

Naw... Not on this one. I want this thing to look like jewelry when it's done. ;)

Btw, I am looking for really nice binding posts, if anyone knows of some...

These things are nice, but I'm still looking:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Acoustic-Audio-Rhodium-Plated-Carbon-Fiber-Speaker-Terminal-Binding-Post/292194954640?hash=item44082d2d90:g:p1oAAOSwOyZZd12P

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
You gonna bend and polish some tubing for the wires, like robolop did in his BMW?
I thought about doing that... Haven't quite decided on that part. I think I have enough metal already, though. I don't know...

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #193 (Edited)
I recessed the LED cables in the plywood and filled the shallow areas with wood filler and the larger areas with epoxy.

Here are the feet. They will be a combination of brushed and polished...

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
It's been 5 days. You're moving at a glacial pace
Glacial would be an accomplishment... I feel like it's even slower than that. My business is working me to the bone.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Just giving you shit. I'm working at the same pace. Just excited to see the finished product

I know, and I can't wait to see it done and lit up, too. Plus, I have a couple of other projects waiting in line... ;)

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Well, kinda disappointing... When I applied the clear poly to the veneer on the inside of the box, I didn't like it at all. Rather than turning a dark grey, with black grain like I expected, it turned a brown-ish-plum color. I guess I should have tested that before I did all the work... :mad:

The inside of the box is going to be satin black paint, AND I need to figure out a different finish/treatment for the outside of the box in the recessed area... I'm still going to use some aluminum in that area as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, kinda disappointing... When I applied the clear poly to the veneer on the inside of the box, I didn't like it at all. Rather than turning a dark grey, with black grain like I expected, it turned a brown-ish-plum color. I guess I should have tested that before I did all the work... :mad:

The inside of the box is going to be satin black paint, AND I need to figure out a different finish/treatment for the outside of the box in the recessed area... I'm still going to use some aluminum in that area as well.

I vote top right! Beautiful craftsmanship!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I make our commercial veneer subs very black by using a dye and stain combo.

I use Behlen Solar Lux Black Dye and a General Finishes Water-Based Black Stain. Using the Behlen first and then the GF, results in a very black finish. We then topcoat with a more expensive poly but for small projects I’ve also had good luck with Mineax Wipe-On Poly.

181 - 200 of 247 Posts