DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
What if the port stuck out of the top of the box like a periscope?? Lmao

No, seriously, I am thinking the port can sorta rise out of the box (see crude drawing) and it could be polished aluminum.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I dig the darker wood with the thin inlay.

Are you planning any LEDs?

What about a "waterfall" effect with colored epoxy?
Definitely doing some lighting... I often use color, but on this one I am thinking of bright white LEDs (5,000k+) to shimmer on the subs basket, acrylic and aluminum details... But those thoughts could change anytime! :p

I'm in to see where this goes. And gijoe's post #3 could have come out of my mouth, word for word.

If you are interested in acrylic, check out Bobby Gately. He does some really amazing enclosures using acrylic. I got to see/hold one in person at the SPL comp in Fresno and it was pretty incredible.
I just checked his work out! Very nice! I might get in touch with him and ask for some advise...

·
Registered
6,975 Posts

No, seriously, I am thinking the port can sorta rise out of the box (see crude drawing) and it could be polished aluminum.

I think this could be pretty cool, I like it.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Where did you find these. These look awesome! You’re into metal fab I think. I’m seeing polished aluminum, wood accents, and acrylic with led lighting in your future. It would go well with the finishes on that subwoofer frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Where did you find these. These look awesome! You’re into metal fab I think. I’m seeing polished aluminum, wood accents, and acrylic with led lighting in your future. It would go well with the finishes on that subwoofer frame.
Ebay! https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Case-Pack-Kit-Solid-Virgin-Aluminum-Subwoofer-Speaker-Ports-with-Gorilla-Glue/292323930678

I love metal fab... I've built a lot more out of metal than I have wood. ;)

They come in a three pack... If I end up being able to use one in this build, I'll send you one.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts

I like the sub(marine) idea! But I think the install might end up looking like a scene from Spongebob;)
Seriously, those ports make me wanna build a ported box, or an engine with velocity stacks.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I like the sub(marine) idea! But I think the install might end up looking like a scene from Spongebob;)
Seriously, those ports make me wanna build a ported box, or an engine with velocity stacks.
Lol @ Spongebob! I agree...

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I’ll pay the shipping, that’s awesome!
If you ever get board, could you take a look at the sub and it's specs and see how much volume and what size port I should use (hopefully those fancy ebayers work)? I'm in no hurry to start as I have a couple other projects I need to finish up... :)

Port Dims:
3" x 12" Subwoofer Ports. Ports Measure Exactly 4 9/16" (Front Total Diameter Across) x Inner Diameter 3" x 12" Length

Sub specs:
http://mercurycaraudio.jp/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/MCR-8010Spec.png

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
What about two ports coming out of the top like dual exhaust? I'd draw a little sketch like some of you overachievers...but it's been a long day and I'm too lazy. :)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
If you ever get board, could you take a look at the sub and it's specs and see how much volume and what size port I should use (hopefully those fancy ebayers work)? I'm in no hurry to start as I have a couple other projects I need to finish up... :)

Port Dims:
3" x 12" Subwoofer Ports. Ports Measure Exactly 4 9/16" (Front Total Diameter Across) x Inner Diameter 3" x 12" Length

Sub specs:
http://mercurycaraudio.jp/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/MCR-8010Spec.png
I modeled three boxes here. One sealed @ 1.097 cu ft, one ported at 1.236 (fb = 31 Hz) cu ft, and one ported at 1.813 cu ft (fb = 26.94 Hz). I would suggest the manufacturer recommended 1.236 box as it will be small and still have great extension in a car. The vent volume, group delay, and power handling are all better in the smaller ported box vs the larger one. I attached PDF's of all models with all graphs for your use so all the information is there. let me know if you want me to change anything. That looks like it will be a nice sounding subwoofer. The QTS by the manufacturer seems to be off as the program says it should be .538 and the Mercury specifications say .64 Yellow is the 1.8 box, orange the 1.23 box, and red the sealed box.

Murcury 8010 subwoofer.png

View attachment BassBox Pro Murcury 8010 sealed.pdf

View attachment BassBox Pro Murcury 8010 1.23 ported.pdf

View attachment BassBox Pro Murcury 8010 1.8 ported.pdf

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Google "wood epoxy table"

You can mix automotive metallic paint or translucent candy, into the epoxy for some killer designs, from logos, to "river" effects.
An inlay, or a full panel for accent, in an acrylic box would look killer!
I've watched a ton of those videos, it's beautiful stuff! Actually, you just gave me an idea - I could leave a gap between the acrylic and wood and fill it with a colored epoxy. It would look cool and be the air tight joint that holds them together. Or do more if I am feeling ambitious...

What about two ports coming out of the top like dual exhaust? I'd draw a little sketch like some of you overachievers...but it's been a long day and I'm too lazy. :)
That'd look awesome! I'm a car guy through and through, so anything "car-like" is definitely cool with me!

I've worked with wood/epoxy and wood/metal inlay. It's just a classy look to me.
Those look great... Inlays are definitely a must, I love how it looks and I'd enjoy the challenge of doing that for the first time!

I'm getting kinda excited for his project!! :D

Did you look at that acrylic end table? If I cut it in half it would give me the perfect curved front for the sub (baffle and window), AND I'd have two pieces encase I fucked one up! Lol

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I modeled three boxes here. One sealed @ 1.097 cu ft, one ported at 1.236 (fb = 31 Hz) cu ft, and one ported at 1.813 cu ft (fb = 26.94 Hz). I would suggest the manufacturer recommended 1.236 box as it will be small and still have great extension in a car. The vent volume, group delay, and power handling are all better in the smaller ported box vs the larger one. I attached PDF's of all models with all graphs for your use so all the information is there. let me know if you want me to change anything. That looks like it will be a nice sounding subwoofer. The QTS by the manufacturer seems to be off as the program says it should be .538 and the Mercury specifications say .64 Yellow is the 1.8 box, orange the 1.23 box, and red the sealed box.

View attachment 244311

View attachment 244313

View attachment 244315

View attachment 244317
Damn, you went all out! THANK YOU!

21 - 40 of 257 Posts