DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
That is an awesome idea! Hadn't thought of that... Maybe I can find a zebra wood type veneer and put some curves in the box.
Wood, acrylic with some polished aluminum trim?!

Absolutely, this sub has to be seen, acrylic is a must for at least part of the box.

Whoa! What is this veneer and where can I get a sheet of it?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Whoa! What is this veneer and where can I get a sheet of it?
It's really nice, right! I don't remember where I saw that... I just looked it up in Google Images.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I was told those specs were wrong but i have specs straight from the man himself i could send to you

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That would get great! Could you post them here? Thanks

How do you like the ideas that are coming together for it's box?

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
That would get great! Could you post them here? Thanks

How do you like the ideas that are coming together for it's box?
These are what i got from eddie de jesus. Aka the only mercury dealer in the US

By the way. If you went sealed on near rated power. 1.1 cubes internal gross is best

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
These are what i got from eddie de jesus. Aka the only mercury dealer in the US

By the way. If you went sealed on near rated power. 1.1 cubes internal gross is best

Thanks bro!

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #70

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #71

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Another idea for wrapping the wood part of the sub box - black leather, real top grain leather...

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Did you clean up the sub? Again really sorry about that. I didnt realize it

Not yet. I'll figure something out... No worries.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Either would look classy. But the vinyl would be differant. And does look kinda cool

I agree. The wood veneer would be really special AND a new (challenging) experience for me, as I have never done anything like that before. I have done lots of vinyl and leather wrapping...

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I agree. The wood veneer would be really special AND a new (challenging) experience for me, as I have never done anything like that before. I have done lots of vinyl and leather wrapping...
Sorry i meant the veneer. Its failry simple to work with. Id do repairs on millwork with it a lot. Lay it on the panel. Score a mark,cut it. Glue it down. Then get the finest file you can find and file down the edges till its flush. Very easy. Just takes a little time

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
The front of the box will be curved with the acrylic and the back of the box will be curved with plywood (covered with veneer). Soooooo, I guess I am going to have to learn to do some kerf bending... :worried:

Also, I thought of cutting multiple pieces of plywood to a curved shape and gluing them together, and I might still go this route.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
The front of the box will be curved with the acrylic and the back of the box will be curved with plywood (covered with veneer)....
Also, I thought of cutting multiple pieces of plywood to a curved shape and gluing them together, and I might still go this route.
IMO, the second approach can make a MUCH stronger enclosure with less need for internal bracing, since you can make the width of the individual curved pieces broader (wider??) through their curved area while still getting the curve shape that you want. And once the first curved piece is done, it is simply a matter if setting up your new router table to be used like a copy machine to make the rest of the pieces.

Of course it will also be much heavier, but that isn't a bad thing... looking at that beast of a sub you are going to attach to it.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
IMO, the second approach can make a MUCH stronger enclosure with less need for internal bracing, since you can make the width of the individual curved pieces broader (wider??) through their curved area while still getting the curve shape that you want. And once the first curved piece is done, it is simply a matter if setting up your new router table to be used like a copy machine to make the rest of the pieces.

Of course it will also be much heavier, but that isn't a bad thing... looking at that beast of a sub you are going to attach to it.
Good point... Hell, I might even be able to stack some plywood and hit it with a huge round over bit, depending on the radius of the curve in the acrylic end table (which I want to match).

Example:

·
Registered
180 Posts
David - I think multiple layers of thin (3mm?) ply is the way to go. Also, if you are still thinking of the plinth block with spikes, I think a thicker block (1/2"+) would look better.

61 - 80 of 247 Posts