DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

101 - 120 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Good point, and that is definitely something I considered... I would not use the aluminum sleeves themselves for any type of support (only the steel threaded rod). I would use grommets on the ends so that they are held with some pressure, but there would be no metal on metal (no aluminum sleeve touching the rod, or sub or box).

I am also thinking of only doing four of the eight bolts, because eight might look a little too busy...
I used threaded rod with aluminum/steel tubing on the (sideways) headphone stand I posted up earlier. I drilled the hole for the threaded rod, then drilled a slightly larger hole to countersink the aluminum into. You could do something similar, and add a touch of glue to the countersunk portion if you want to ensure that it doesn't move around, but rton20s' thoughts should be considered, you certainly doing want any noise coming from the rod/tubing.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The sub reminds me of an art-deco type of look. What about some nice stained wood with stainless steel inlays that look like the art-deco looks from the 40s when appliances had that type of look? The 'streamlined' look. Or the inlays could be frosted plexi that light up with LED's behind, giving the sub a nice glow.

If doing acrylic, go real fancy and have the port flare formed INTO the acrylic. I saw this once in the Alpine ZR1 from the early 90's. Looked so cool but I'm sure big $$$ to have done. The baffle was 1" thick I think. Or use some slick rolled-edge or double-wall exhaust tips for port tubes. Megs makes some nice tips.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The sub reminds me of an art-deco type of look. What about some nice stained wood with stainless steel inlays that look like the art-deco looks from the 40s when appliances had that type of look? The 'streamlined' look. Or the inlays could be frosted plexi that light up with LED's behind, giving the sub a nice glow.
David, this sounds like a great idea, if you are into a sort of nouveau art deco, which I am.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I used threaded rod with aluminum/steel tubing on the (sideways) headphone stand I posted up earlier. I drilled the hole for the threaded rod, then drilled a slightly larger hole to countersink the aluminum into. You could do something similar, and add a touch of glue to the countersunk portion if you want to ensure that it doesn't move around, but rton20s' thoughts should be considered, you certainly doing want any noise coming from the rod/tubing.
That's a good idea, too...

If doing acrylic, go real fancy and have the port flare formed INTO the acrylic. I saw this once in the Alpine ZR1 from the early 90's. Looked so cool but I'm sure big $$$ to have done. The baffle was 1" thick I think. Or use some slick rolled-edge or double-wall exhaust tips for port tubes. Megs makes some nice tips.
Very cool ideas... Thanks! I think, inevitably, it could take on a little bit of an Art Deco look. I even had this thought to cover the interior in a black velvet-like fabric! Lol
The "colors/finishes will be blacks and greys with polished metals, but I might add a pop of color like red...

David, this sounds like a great idea, if you are Dinto a sort of nouveau Art Deco, which I am.
I am into it! :D

The next thing I need to figure out is the hardware. The acrylic front will be screwed/bolted to the plywood (as mentioned above). I usually like to have the hardware be a prominent part of the design, rather just be functional and recessed into the materials. Plus, I hate plain, ugly hardware, especially drywall screws (yep, that was a little reference to that "other" thread)! Lmao :p :D ;)

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
The next thing I need to figure out is the hardware. The acrylic front will be screwed/bolted to the plywood (as mentioned above). I usually like to have the hardware be a prominent part of the design, rather just be functional and recessed into the materials. Plus, I hate plain, ugly hardware, especially drywall screws (yep, that was a little reference to that "other" thread)! Lmao :p :D ;)

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
https://i.pinimg.com/originals][/QUOTE]

Those are wild! I think you are on the right track with automotive stuff... That's a much bigger market for fancy nuts and bolts. I remember paying an arm and a leg for some Billet Technology frame bolts and washers for my Ram...

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
www.probolt-usa.com

Nice stuff right here ^^^. Check out all three - aluminum, stainless and titanium. Beautiful stuff. I wasn't thinking gold, but damn that looks nice!!

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Still playing with some ideas...

I need to determine exactly how big this box needs to be and go buy some BB plywood and start chopping it up!

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
1.1 cubes internal gross fro what my mercury guy said is what they build their boxes to for these on 5-600 watts of power

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
1.1 cubes internal gross fro what my mercury guy said is what they build their boxes to for these on 5-600 watts of power
I'm going ported... I think you posted the specs somewhere. I'll have to find them

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #116

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #118 (Edited)
I was thinking you need a nice gold mercury amp to pair with the sub :)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I saw that FS thread... If this was for me then I'd have jumped on it. :D

Edit: On a different note - NO drywall screws will be used in the making of this box! LOL

101 - 120 of 247 Posts