DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

161 - 180 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I'm trying to decide what shape to put in the sides... The inside of the shape will be a veneer with aluminum inlay, and the outside will be carpet.

Do I mimic the shape of the box, or do I make some random shape?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I'm trying to decide what shape to put in the sides... The inside of the shape will be a veneer with aluminum inlay, and the outside will be carpet.

Do I mimic the shape of the box, or do I make some random shape?

...seriously though, I like the box-shaped one.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
...seriously though, I like the box-shaped one.
That's what I was leaning toward... I started thinking about the aluminum inlay - what if I made the inlay angled like the port, sorta copying it's shape and angle as if you could see it?

·
Premium Member
9,144 Posts
I like the look of following the enclosure shape as well. You might also want to try a mock up with the materials you plan to use before committing to a specific inlay for the aluminum.

·
Registered
583 Posts
That's what I was leaning toward... I started thinking about the aluminum inlay - what if I made the inlay angled like the port, sorta copying it's shape and angle as if you could see it?

I agree that this looks great. The diagonal graphic also serves to tie in (and bring attention to) the port

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Yeah you turned professional already building/installing for others... you need a logo on the front!!

The oval inlay is too much like a Ford thing... maybe no oval for you please lol....
Sometimes may not need an inlay if you're the minimalist style guy. Just some textured/pattern paint inside may already work fine.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Perfect! That would look awesome!
I think so too, thanks!

I like the look of following the enclosure shape as well. You might also want to try a mock up with the materials you plan to use before committing to a specific inlay for the aluminum.
I can do that, I think I have everything on hand... The port is 3" in diameter, so I would use a 3" wide piece of aluminum.

I agree that this looks great. The diagonal graphic also serves to tie in (and bring attention to) the port
Totally, at least in concept, right?! Lol

Yeah you turned professional already building/installing for others... you need a logo on the front!!

The oval inlay is too much like a Ford thing... maybe no oval for you please lol....
Sometimes may not need an inlay if you're the minimalist style guy. Just some textured/pattern paint inside may already work fine.
I agree, definitely not doing a Ford thing here. Not that there is anything wrong with Ford... Though, actually, there is often something wrong with Fords. :p

Anyways back on track...

The inlay should look really cool, and also tie the outside in with the inside... Wait until you see the legs that I will be making out of aluminum... ;)

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #171 (Edited)
Oh, I got the LEDs I will be using... I couldn't decide on color, so I just got an RGB set-up with a remote.

AND I decided on the hardware. It will be these
https://www.probolt-usa.com/black-steel-dome-head-bolt-m5-x-0-8mmx-25mm16mmhead.html
to secure the plexi to the box, and these
https://www.probolt-usa.com/black-steel-dome-head-bolt-m5-x-0-8mmx-30mm.html
to mount the sub to the plexi.

They are matching, except the one that for the plexi to the box has a 16mm head, and the one for the sub to the plexi has a 12mm head. The 12mm just fits on the sub if I shave about a little off of it's diameter.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Oh, I got the LEDs I will be using... I couldn't decide on color, so I just got an RGB set-up with a remote.

AND I decided on the hardware. It will be these
https://www.probolt-usa.com/black-steel-dome-head-bolt-m5-x-0-8mmx-25mm16mmhead.html
to secure the plexi to the box, and these
https://www.probolt-usa.com/black-steel-dome-head-bolt-m5-x-0-8mmx-30mm.html
to mount the sub to the plexi.

They are matching, except the one that for the plexi to the box has a 16mm head, and the one for the sub to the plexi has a 12mm head. The 12mm just fits on the sub if I shave about a little off of it's diameter.

Very nice. Can't wait to see it completed.

...and those sexy legs, tho! :D

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
I'm picturing four of these... ;)
Not quite, Lol!

Something more along the lines of the aluminum in the dap holder I built recently. ;)

Very nice. Can't wait to see it completed.

...and those sexy legs, tho! :D
Crazy. $80 for 17 screws! :mad:

sorry my bad... I just realized the inside has a nice wood grain pattern (I should say paint here lol)
Lol. The veneer will get a satin clear coat...

The theme is actually kinda organized - satin on all the large flat surfaces, and polished on all of the aluminum parts (port, trim, legs) and hardware. The sub has a satiny brushed look to it, so it'll be unique.

I thought of doing the aluminum parts in brushed, but then I saw the light reflect off of the polished end of the port and I said "nope, this thing needs to glisten." :D

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Not quite, Lol!

Something more along the lines of the aluminum in the dap holder I built recently. ;)

Crazy. $80 for 17 screws! :mad:

Lol. The veneer will get a satin clear coat...

The theme is actually kinda organized - satin on all the large flat surfaces, and polished on all of the aluminum parts (port, trim, legs) and hardware. The sub has a satiny brushed look to it, so it'll be unique.

I thought of doing the aluminum parts in brushed, but then I saw the light reflect off of the polished end of the port and I said "nope, this thing needs to glisten." :D
I've been looking for a holder for the x3 but none are made

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
I've been looking for a holder for the x3 but none are made

Nope. You are gonna have to go custom... Maybe building it into the console?

I have made so many dap holders, but unfortunately none for the x3 3rd gen you have... This is from my x3 2nd gen in the Mazda.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Nope. You are gonna have to go custom... Maybe building it into the console?

I have made so many dap holders, but unfortunately none for the x3 3rd gen you have... This is from my x3 2nd gen in the Mazda.

Maybe I'll pay you to make me one? I dont want to mold it in the center console.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Maybe I'll pay you to make me one? I dont want to mold it in the center console.

What kind of function are you looking for and where do you want it to go?

Honestly, I don't really do this stuff for money... :p

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Damn, those are some "high maintenance" screws! LOL

All that polished aluminum matching the port (and screws) is going to look killer!

161 - 180 of 258 Posts