DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm starting this build log now and will be adding pictures as I go. This coming Friday is when I'll start adding true build pics. Nothing fancy... just a simple clean install for some good SQ.

Here is the layout...

The 900/5 will be running the 2-way pillars with 100x2 to the Morel MT23 tweeters and 100x2 to the AP XR3M drivers. I'll be using a Coustic XM3 crossover between my mids and tweeters to free up 2 channels for rear fill on the MS8. The PG ZX475ti will be bridged at 250x2 to the Dynaudio MW160 midbass in the stock door locations. The 900/5 will also be giving the Ultimo SC12 500 watts.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nice start! Been following you're pillar build as you know, will be interesting to see what you do/change. I've just decided i'm going to upgrade my Diamond componants to Morel Hybrid ovation 6" with the mt-22 tweeter, i'm interested to hear your opinion on the Morel stuff.

Gav

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
lu lu lu lu luving it :D great job mate. i feel like me and you are going down the same path at the same time, wish you lived closer so we could work with each other :D i'm getting very excited now that i'm finily pulling off the old equipment in my car :D just osld my h700 unit.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
i think hes gonna use it for his cross over so he can add rears.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a question, but why the MS8 if you have a DRZ?
I am not very good at tuning for one thing and Eviling is right... I wanted to be able to have rear fill. I know most people think it unnecessary but I like it. I also like the ease of use when it comes to the MS8. :)

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just curious have you run the Dyns and morel MT23s as a two way front End? And if you did What were your crossover points/slopes?
I have a set of MT23s and was thinking of running them with Dynaudio MW 162GTs in my install

[email protected]
I did yes... Very nice. I had them crossed at 60-3500 on the Dyns and the Morels 3500 and up. My door locations are less than ideal... that's why I decided to go three way. Good luck with your setup.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks like a nice bit of kit.
I know most of what you have well as I've got a similar system going into my JDM Honda Odyssey.

It's a shame you need that MS-8 because the Clarion's processing is very very good.
I did a comparison in a friend's system with a Bit1 from DRZ, and then no Bit1 - the difference was very noticeable.

And with the XR3M's are you sure you'll need tweeters?
I've had a full 3 way Morel set up before with MT23's (a superb tweeter btw). My XR3M's are a day or so away from my front door and word has it that top end is good enough to not need tweeters.
You could always run the tweeters in parallel from the mids with a simple capacitor and resistor set up in series from say 8kHz if you needed to, and this would free up two channels on your amps.

If you don't need tweeters at all, you're up for all the benefits (imaging, etc) of what is essentially a single point source front stage.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like a nice bit of kit.
I know most of what you have well as I've got a similar system going into my JDM Honda Odyssey.

It's a shame you need that MS-8 because the Clarion's processing is very very good.
I did a comparison in a friend's system with a Bit1 from DRZ, and then no Bit1 - the difference was very noticeable.

And with the XR3M's are you sure you'll need tweeters?
I've had a full 3 way Morel set up before with MT23's (a superb tweeter btw). My XR3M's are a day or so away from my front door and word has it that top end is good enough to not need tweeters.
You could always run the tweeters in parallel from the mids with a simple capacitor and resistor set up in series from say 8kHz if you needed to, and this would free up two channels on your amps.

If you don't need tweeters at all, you're up for all the benefits (imaging, etc) of what is essentially a single point source front stage.
As for the DRZ and MS8 combo... The MS8 doesnt take anything away from the DRZ. I'm choosing to use the MS8 because the DRZ only goes up to 18db slopes and I want 24db. also... I love the auto tuning of the MS8! Very easy and VERY effective! especially for someone like me who sucks at tuning. The ability to have rear fill is also a factor in having the MS8.
When it comes to using tweeters or not using tweeters I chose wisely. I played with the XR3m drivers without a tweeter, then added the MT23s and the top end had much more sparkle and "air". The detail was much more pronounced as well. I'll be running the AP drivers to 6K then let the Morels take over from there. I considered using a capacitor but feel that the Coustic XM3 between the mid and tweet will let me fine tune things better while freeing up 2 channels for rear fill. thank you for the input I appreciate it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I did yes... Very nice. I had them crossed at 60-3500 on the Dyns and the Morels 3500 and up. My door locations are less than ideal... that's why I decided to go three way. Good luck with your setup.
Thanks for the input I was thinking along the lines of 55hz and 3500hz as a good starting point when setting up and this has reinforced my thoughts :)

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
are you going to run the sub in a sealed box firing through the skipass?
Nope. I have fold down rear seats so bass making it through to the cabin is not an issue. I understand what you mean though and I appreciate the input. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nope. I have fold down rear seats so bass making it through to the cabin is not an issue. I understand what you mean though and I appreciate the input. :)
Nice, i can't wait to see your system progress!

a bit OT but how many miles are on your car? and have you done any drive train mods/maintenance?

my e39's got 243k miles and going stong, m52 power ftw!:D

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice, i can't wait to see your system progress!

a bit OT but how many miles are on your car? and have you done any drive train mods/maintenance?

my e39's got 243k miles and going stong, m52 power ftw!:D
115k. I am considering doing some research on my drive train... been feeling a little bumpy lately and it seems to pull a LiL when I brake.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts